Yet Another Tonemaster Thread

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by rsclosson, Oct 31, 2019.

1. twangjeff

twangjeff Tele-Afflicted

[​IMG]

Rev Hoodoo likes this.
  2. rsclosson

rsclosson Tele-Afflicted

Well, I picked it up today. First impression is I LOVE it! I played my arch top through it as well as a Tele and a Strat. Quickly dialed in a great tone. Warm and sweet and very good feel! Nothing sterile about this amp. It was sitting next to a DRRI, but I resisted the temptation to A/B it. Everybody in the store was impressed and couldn't believe it was SS. I don't mean the sales staff who tend to want to keep a sale. I mean the customers in the store were very impressed. Of course, I have 45 days on the return policy, so I can have time to really run it through the mill and see if it survives the "honeymoon."

Tim S and stax like this.
  3. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

could it mean.... forget about expecting it to sound like you imagine what it could'da, would'a,should'da sound like and just listen to what's coming out of the amp that's out in the real world in real time.

4. bluetweed

bluetweed TDPRI Member

can't wait for a Princeton Reverb Tonemaster / I will be all over it

5. duoman

duoman TDPRI Member

Love my Tonemaster Twin. I will state the obvious:
    If you're gigging, you can take your "Twin(or Deluxe Reverb)sound" to your gig everytime. How many amps can you pickup with one finger, that sound this good?

stilwel likes this.
  6. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I A/B’d a Tonemaster Twin with a Twin RI yesterday and unfortunately I was underwhelmed...ymmv and all tgat.

7. dalezjc

dalezjc Tele-Meister

These Tonemaster threads are like a bad accident. Can't help but look at them, but provide no real value.

8. Aliengtr

Aliengtr TDPRI Member

Price for tonemaster is way too high,I realize 3 years of research etc but
    Damon a grand? I woulD just spend a few extra bucks for real thing or get a used tube real deal for less than this,that’s supposed to be the point, sorry,I have not played it but with solid state hybrid it really lies with the power amp section seems preamp is much acceptable not being tube,love the fender x2 for instance

Paul G. likes this.
  9. stax

stax Tele-Afflicted

You haven't played it but it's priced to high?
    Great first post, welcome to the forum.

Ignatius and teleaddicted like this.
  10. chris m.

I think a market comparison to other products out there might cause some to legitimately conclude that the price is too high without even trying it, based on their specific needs. People could decide that even if it delivers perfectly on what it says it can do that other products on the market would give them more bang for the buck.

However, as we've discussed, different people have different needs. For some folks for that kind of money they would prefer something like a Helix product that delivers a multitude of amps and effects instead of a single good amp simulation. Others would prefer to spend a few more $$ on the actual tube amp, notwithstanding the heavier weight, need for more maintenance, and less ease of using line out and other modern features.

For my personal needs I concluded based on market research that this could be perfect for my needs. Light weight gigging amp with easy line to FOH, great Twin or DR sound as a base clean tone, no maintenance required. What's not to like? Seemed totally worth it to me. But then I went to a music store and played the Tonemaster Twin right next to a Twin Reissue and to my ears they were not even close. The tube Twin sounded much, much richer in tone to my ears.

In other words, it may be quite possible to reject a product without trying it based on market research and weighing the features you want to prioritize for your money, but beware of actually buying a product without first trying it out yourself.

Ignatius and elihu like this.
  11. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Friend of Leo's

Challenge accepted!
    Step 1) Buy the Deluxe Reverb Tone Master.
    Step 2) Turn the attenuator down to 12 watts.
    Problem solved. You're welcome!
    ... And it _still_ weighs less than a PRRI with a Neo.

12. Paul G.

Paul G. Friend of Leo's

SS modeling amp, mass produced. Premium speaker and decent cab. $500-$600. Fender is inflating the price so as not to undercut their traditional tube-powered products.

But, if you like it, that's what it costs, so buy one.

jgmouton likes this.
  13. RickLafayette

RickLafayette TDPRI Member

I have played Deluxe Reverbs longer than some members have been alive. I got the DR Tone Master and could not believe the sound. I couldn't tell the difference between it and past DR's I have owned. I challenge anybody to do a blindfold test with my TM and a new DR. Bring cash.

Ignatius, stilwel and Fret Wilkes like this.
  14. stax

stax Tele-Afflicted

Thanks.

15. chris m.

Maybe the DR Tonemaster is a better simulation than the Twin TM. I could hear the difference very clearly. I also tried a Boss Katana on the same day, and I thought its clean tone was just as good if not better than the Twin TM, but not as good as the Twin Reissue tube amp.

16. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Friend of Leo's

Tone Master Twin Reverb: $999.99
    '65 Twin Reverb Reissue: $1449.99
    Looks like the undercut is about $450.
    But, if you like it, that's what it costs, so buy one.

Chester Burnett likes this.
  17. 72_Custom

72_Custom Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I had a very similar experience as you. On paper, these amps check a lot of boxes for me. I couldn't envision very many situations that I would find myself in where a Tone Master wouldn't be appropriate. I really wanted to like them. After listening to lots of online sound clips and shootouts and being quite impressed with what I heard, I went to a store to try one out. I played a TMDR with three different guitars (a tele, a semi, and an archtop). I almost had myself convinced that it was great, that is, until I then plugged into a PRRI and a DRRI. The contrast was immediate. It's difficult to put abstract concepts like tone into words, but the tube amps had so much more bloom and fullness. They felt like they were adding an extra dimension that the TMDR was missing. The Princeton especially had this kind of "thump" where I can feel every note pop (in a good way!). If I listened back to a recording, I probably wouldn't have noticed it as much, but being in the room, the differences stood out. To give but one concrete example, the TMDR's reverb hit my "too much" point by 2, whereas I could go up to about 4 on the RIs.

My conclusion (granted it's based on limited first hand experience) is that these are decent "wedding band" amplifiers. Light weight, all the modern conveniences, and a ballpark approximation of some of the greatest amplifiers ever. If that's what one is looking for, then that's fine, and they do a good job at what they are, but I think expectations should be set accordingly. I'm rooting for Fender to figure out a way to make them even better.

Paul G. likes this.
  18. chris m.

Yeah, they don’t have the depth and complexity. Like 2D vs 3D, or plain mass produced white bread vs a top notch French baguette.

19. ucnick

ucnick Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

If/when there is a Super reverb Tonemaster, even in a 2x12, I would be really interested..

20. stax

stax Tele-Afflicted

I played a friends deluxe tm and thought it sounded fantastic.
    I use a pro reverb live and like twin speakers so if I was to buy one down the line it would be the twin.
    Last time I was in my local guitar shop the tonemaster twin was just over £900, the "real" twin £1600 and the handwired version £2600.
    I personally think the price of the tone master is fair enough compared to the other two.
    Seems to me sometimes no matter how well built and great sounding amps are if they haven't got valves some people think they should cost
    nothing.

stilwel and Chester Burnett like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.