1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Yet another hipshot inquiry.

Discussion in 'B-Bender Forum' started by 8painting, Apr 7, 2009.

1. 8painting

8painting TDPRI Member

I've got a Fender 50's Esquire I've been wanting to put a bender in.

The hipshot seems like the best bet/cost route.

Would just buying a top loading bridge be the best idea, or is dremeling out a hole be a better alternative.

Thanks

2. bender-freak

bender-freak Friend of Leo's

either way will work; i've done it both ways for myself and other folks' teles....i assume by toploader, you mean you are going with the vintage 3 barrel style?...i have the best luck with vintage style bridges, my only word of advice is, if you opt to use the top-loader holes, use the teflon tubing for the "bent" strings, and a dollop of 3-in-1 oil on all contact points (saddle area, nut, etc.) will work miracles...but, you will have less danger of having any "drag" if you just notch the back of the bridge out for the "bent" string(s) and slightly shim the neck (sliver of credit card material is what i use, since i always cut the cursed things to pieces anyway) for a little more angle over the saddles if needed, i have found also that saddles with the "grooves" for the string travel are the best option for a vintage bridge bender tele....

good luck, have fun, keep us posted on how it all goes and long live the Hipshot..!!!

3. Chet Johnson

Chet Johnson Tele-Afflicted

4. helle_man

helle_man Tele-Meister

By "top loading", do you mean an ashtray bridge where the strings go thru the back of the ashtray instead on underneath the ashtray? Kinda makes a difference.

5. 8painting

8painting TDPRI Member

Yep!

I was hoping you would answer!

Not that I don't appreciate everyone else's input, but you seem to be THE hipshot aficionado here.

6. jmiles

jmiles Friend of Leo's

I use the top-loading bridge. Just put teflon tubes in the holes for the bent strings. If you don't have the tubes, go to a bike shop and get a brake cable liner.

7. helle_man

helle_man Tele-Meister

I agree with jmiles. Try that approach first. If that doesn't work we'll go to plan B.

WR

8. eddiewagner

eddiewagner Poster Extraordinaire

i drilled a little hole for mine and that works just perfect. when you don´t use the guitar with el hipshot, you will not notice a little hole. and it´s free of charge!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.