1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Yet another "Help with hum" thread

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Cysquatch, May 19, 2020.

1. Cysquatch

Cysquatch Tele-Holic

As the title says, I need help with hum. I popped a DiMarzio Bluesbucker into the bridge of my Player Strat, along with all fresh wiring and pots, and the thing hums like a banshee. All connections test good for continuity, including the claw ground. I've reflowed solder on all connections and the wiring is as correct as I can possibly tell, but the hum is horrid.

The hum surely seems to be single coil hum, as the notch positions kill the hum mostly, as well as the Bluesbucker when not split. But this guitar was previously so quiet that it was noteworthy, playing in the exact same spot, same amp, everything. So something must be up.

Here's some images of the wiring, not gorgeous as it's kinda cramped in there. Worth noting that the Bluesbucker is wired in reverse phase as DiMarzio states their pickups are backwards that of Fender, and the push/pull pot is wired so that the Bluesbucker is split when the pot is down, as I wanted the split sound to be the default tone (the red and green are wired to C2, with 4 being wired to ground via pot casing). I'll also upload the quick wiring diagram I mocked up for it (the humbucker lead colors are not reversed in that).

Thanks in advance for any and all help. This sucker is driving me nuts.
    Bluesbucker Strat.png

IMG_20200519_015352011.jpg

IMG_20200519_015404542.jpg

IMG_20200519_015306527.jpg

2. Cysquatch

Cysquatch Tele-Holic

Well, mystery solved. It was the soldering iron putting off an unholy amount of EM noise apparently. As soon as I unplugged that, everything was good to go as normal.

Suppose I should move my soldering setup back off of my main desk, then.

3. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

whoopie! a happy ending!
    really that's frustrating funny and oh so familiar a circumstance .
    you solved the mystery and you also did a great job of presenting the issue , great photos clear discription of the problem , and best of all you told the truth unvarnished and with out silly excuses some people make some times,... to try and save face when embarrassed. I love it.
    00 amorrow bay.jpg

Cysquatch, tubegeek and JIMMY JAZZMAN like this.
  4. Cysquatch

Cysquatch Tele-Holic

I've just seen enough of these threads with no photos to understand that it's not even worth making the first post unless you've got something to look at. Especially given how quick the brains around here can get it figured out once the pictures are posted.

It is a really goofy circumstance, but I'm happy to admit my stupid. It's pretty funny like you said, and maybe it'll save somebody else the same issue down the road. I gave up saving face long ago, it was between saving face or saving my sanity with how many similar goofs I tend to pull.

ping-ping-clicka likes this.
  5. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

People don't taste nearly as good as they look.

ping-ping-clicka likes this.
  6. ping-ping-clicka

yuh done good. :rolleyes:I didn't even have to tell you to unplug the soldering iron, (sigh, slaps forehead)

Cysquatch likes this.
  7. ping-ping-clicka

slow cooked ... tastes like pork.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.