Yet another guy I wouldn't want to be in a band with.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Blazer, Aug 3, 2019.

1. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

That's an open mic - I've done some and I agree, it's a nice way to get a little stage time for a new band,duo, or whatever. I thought what was being described was a kind of free for all jam - maybe with a fake book or maybe just "play some blues"

Chunkocaster likes this.
  2. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I think its much the same thing, some just rock up and jam at our local ones too. Around here most are rehearsed songs though with a lot of beginners/ casual players due to the way the open mic nights are promoted through guitar lessons etc. They also free jam at the end of the night if anyone is up for it. A bass player kind of runs the show at a few of the local ones here and there are a few regular drummers who alternate. Then there are the bands working up new material. I imagine Blazer's open stage night is much the same thing where you just get up and do whatever you have in mind.

3. Jimclarke100

Jimclarke100 Tele-Afflicted

One of the best nights round me is an acoustic jam. Basically anyone with an acoustic instrument can turn up. We have guitars, Ukes, Cahons, shakers, violins occasionally a double bass, or just people turning up to sing.

They generally pick a well known local muso to lead. Pick a song, someone shouts out the chords and the cacophony starts. But it’s great. The room is full of people at all levels just sitting around having fun.

It’s just real loose - some songs everyone joins in; some it’ll be one or two guys playing a reel or something. No egos are involved. The only common theme is the big grin from all there.

telestratosonic, stinkey and Flaneur like this.
  4. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

He's trying to adjust HIS equipment to HIS liking and YOU'RE complaining about it?

Next time bring your own gear.

MilwMark likes this.
  5. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

No I was complaining about the fact that he almost ruined a good jam by doing so, everybody was on the same page, everybody had the groove going, it was magical and this guy threw it all off by changing the sound and not in a nice way.

And err... way to cut off my part of the message in which I said that I brought along my guitar.

nvilletele likes this.
  6. Bluey

Bluey Tele-Meister

Maybe failed the attitude test?

7. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

Open Mic nights are actually "Idiot Fests" these days - there used to be some great open mics in and around Boston BUT that was twenty five years ago, AND an Amplifier and a Cable too were always provided by The House Band. There was a great one at Harper's Ferry in Allston and another at The Real House Of Blues when it was on Winthrop Street in Cambridge.

8. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I only participate at jam nights where I know the host band, and only sit in with them & other established bands that I know. We call it "jamily". Everyone else is the guy described in the original post.

9. ronzhd

ronzhd Tele-Holic

Maybe I'm just lucky, but all of the jams around the Houston area that I have been to, are very well organized. The Sunday jam at the Jailhouse Saloon on the Northside, has been going on for the better part of 20 years with out fail. There are some really good musicians in this area. Having said that, the players coming to play are usually prepared equipment wise. However, there are always xtra amps available. Even the harmonica guys get to take their lap.

10. Tuneup

Tuneup Tele-Meister

I was under the impression "open" jam sessions were basically Fight Club for musicians.

sonicsmitty likes this.
  11. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

I don't play many "jams"....I am bored just playing 12 bar blues "cliches", or the typical Midnight Hour, Mustang Sally type fare. Occasionally I'll witness someone who, either out of stupidity or intentionally, sabotages the whole thing. The OP may have run into a guy who was just being territorial, or felt personally threatened by his performance.....at any rate, while playing in public is important to grow "musically", I don't feel I "learn" or am properly challenged by jams. Just me, though.

12. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

The keyboard guy might have been protecting his speakers. Maybe he didn't bring a big enough amp to handle loud moog bass. Also, it might be considered bad form to jump on someone else's instrument without asking permission. I wouldn't appreciate it.

MilwMark likes this.
  13. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

You go to a jam, you expect people to play your: Keys, Drums, Bass amp, at least. Guitar amp, too, unless you pull it off with you the second you are done playing.

nvilletele likes this.
  14. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

I've not had one good experience in the few open jams I've attended. Organized jams are not the place to hone your chops and playing to a room full of musicians is like playing football in a stadium full of onlookers who are all amateur football players all waiting to get a chance on the field. It's unnatural.

Find a few friends, organize a jamming band in your garage. Much more of a learning environment and definitely more fun.

15. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

I wouldn't want to join any band that would have me as a member ...

16. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

Each to his own. If I didn't know the keyboard owner, I'd ask. Same as if I wanted to play your guitar. What does it hurt?

17. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

A keyboard set up on the stage taking up square footage is nothing similar to a guitar. Anyone fiddling with the keys settings while you play is like a guitarist fiddling with your knobs on a backline amp while you play guitar. If you don't want piano players playing your piano at a jam, don't set it up.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.