Yet another first build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by zorgzorg2, May 14, 2017.

1. zorgzorg2

zorgzorg2 Tele-Meister

Hi all,

I've been lurking around a few years now, and tried to keep away the urge to build... but last year I put aside all the lame excuses, and started doing stuff. Since life is happening at the same time, this has been an extremely slow process, but hopefully sharing my errors here will help others in the future...

First, make a template out of mdf:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The paper got torn... Probably the glue I used wasn't strong enough. Anyway, after sanding, this makes a proper template.

[​IMG]

2. zorgzorg2

zorgzorg2 Tele-Meister

So, since this is a first build, and that it's pretty hard to find massive wood here appart from pine and fir (christmas trees...), I went for cheap alternatives: fingerjoint birch planks, 18mm (~3/4''), and 4mm birch plywood on top. So I glued two of the fingerjoint birches + the plywood, and I get to a 4cm thickness (a bit more than 1.5''). Figured it was enough.
    [​IMG]

After that, I cut with a bandsaw at a friends... not as easy as I thought...

[​IMG]

Next step was routing the edges, following the template. As you can see, that didn't really go as planned, but thanks to nice people on this forum, I got over it, and continued (a year later). Note that I ruined my template in the process
    [​IMG]

3. zorgzorg2

zorgzorg2 Tele-Meister

Alright, so instead of routing, I went over to sanding for what was left. Much smoother and controlable I would say
    [​IMG]

To fix the dents, I started using wood paste, but it was a pain: hard to apply, very porous, so no smooth surface, chips easily, takes ages to dry... Went on to bondo, I'm much happier (could be because of the fumes though ;) )
    [​IMG]

Then I routed the coutours with a round bit to make it smoother:
    [​IMG]

The idea is to use the plywood edge as a "fake" binding, it won't be coloured like the rest...

Then, it was the turn of the neck pocket:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Until I realised I didn't have the right router bit for the job. Of course, local equivalent of home depot don't have these kinds of weird tools, so I had to order on the net, and I am now waiting for the delivery...

Last edited: May 15, 2017
  4. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Looking good, welcome to the club!

5. oldrebel

oldrebel Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

You will probably want to "hog out" the neck pocket with a drill bit before you start with a router bit.

6. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

^ Agreed. A forstner bit works well for this. And welcome! Good luck with your build!

7. zorgzorg2

zorgzorg2 Tele-Meister

Thanks for the welcome guys :) Yes, I figured I needed to drill the neck and pickup pockets before routing them. I'll do that when the forstner bits arrive. Geez, china is far... This week-end I plan to make templates for the pickup and control cavities. I'll keep you updated.

John Nicholas likes this.
  8. zorgzorg2

zorgzorg2 Tele-Meister

Alright, so I got a little time today, and I received the truss rod, so I figured I'd use my router with a guide to route the truss rod channel. Unfortunately, I'm still new at this, so I went to fast in some parts, leading to the guide not sticking to the edge of the neck piece... the spaces around the truss rod aren't deep, but should I fill them with eg wood paste ? Also, another question: the piece of wood I use for the neck is 18mm thick (~3/4'') is that to thin for a neck ? (I'm going to glue a 7 mm fredboard on top of that)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. zorgzorg2

zorgzorg2 Tele-Meister

Today's contribution: cut out the pickup cavities in the template.[​IMG]

10. Robert.II

Robert.II Tele-Meister

3/4" for a neck is pretty common, I wouldn't be too worried. At 18mm it's more like .70" which is a bit less but probably still doable.

11. Macrogats

Macrogats Friend of Leo's

I'll be interested to hear some replies re the routing mishaps on the truss rod slot. Will be looking to do my first one in the coming weeks/months, and not a project I'm looking forward to!

zorgzorg2 likes this.
  12. zorgzorg2

zorgzorg2 Tele-Meister

@Robert.II thanks.

@Macrogats yes me too. I'm thinking right now wrapping the truss rod in paper, put it in the slot, fill the mishaps with wood paste or bondo, and remove the truss rod/paper when the paste is hard enough not to move anymore.

13. Meteorman

Meteorman Tele-Holic

In my opinion, those router boobs in your truss rod slot will not hurt you at all.
    If it was me, I would consider carefully shooting a blob of silicone caulk in each void before gluing up the fretboard.
    Press on !
    The first several builds are one learning experience after another....

MM73 and zorgzorg2 like this.
  14. RickyRicardo

^^^ Agreed. It won't make any difference. If it was on the back then you'd be starting over. I made a jig out of scraps so the router base rides between two side rails. That way the router never moves. I tried it like you did initially and so much for that neck.

zorgzorg2 likes this.
  15. zorgzorg2

zorgzorg2 Tele-Meister

Thanks @Meteorman @RickyRicardo ! Ok, I will just fill with silicone when setting in the truss rod for good, before gluing the fretboard.

As mentioned earlier, I've been around a few years (8 actually, time flies!) and read so many build threads I thought it would be a walk in the park to do my own... I couldn't have been more wrong ! I learned a lot by reading other's experiences, but I'm learning even more by building my own.

John Nicholas likes this.
  16. fortj3

fortj3 Tele-Meister

I'm wanting to build a few Teles and a PBass or two.
    I'm thinking about using a milling machine to route the truss rod trough.

17. Macrogats

Thanks Meteorman. Sounds like a good plan. :)

@ RickyRicardo. Glad you mentioned about boobing it on the back. That would defo be a throw away neck! :D

18. RickyRicardo

Yup, as I've mentioned many times on this great forum, the box of shame contains a few of those boobs.

19. Macrogats

Incidentally, what is the set "standard" routing depth for a truss rod? In particular when you will be gluing the fret board on top of it? Thought I might try to set up a jig and try a few practice runs in scrap timber.

20. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

It depends on the truss rods. Stewmac hot rods are in a straight slot 7/16" deep. I rout in 3 passes. The ebay import blue rods require a step for the adjustment nut which rests lower than the bottom of the rod.

The stewmac version of the blue rod found on ebay is the low profile rod and sits in a 3/8" slot according to the directions.

http://www.stewmac.com/Materials_an...n=2017-05-gp&gclid=CPzMq-iKh9QCFZBgfgod3tQDMA

http://www.stewmac.com/Materials_an...n=2017-05-gp&gclid=CLPGs_aKh9QCFUKSfgodJ8oE3Q

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.