1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

(yet another) Esquire pickup thread: what do YOU like?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by El Reclusa, Mar 20, 2013.

1. El Reclusa

El Reclusa Tele-Afflicted

So I've seriously bonded with the MIM Esquire I picked up a while back, but of course, I can't leave well enough alone, and I want to make a couple of changes: some nice Rutters saddles, a more useable wiring scheme, and most of all, what I feel is the weak link of that model: the pickup. The stock unit isn't horrible, it's just kind of...meh.

Anyway, rather than soliciting advice about what I should slap in there, I'd like to know what YOU like in an Esquire pickup, and why.

I know there are an awful lot of good choices, and I have a handful of likely candidates to check out. Fortunately, there are a lot of really appealing, quite affordable options these days, so there's a good chance I'll be able to try a few with relative ease before I settle on one, but that's not the point of this thread. I'm curious as to what YOU dig in your Esquire, and what it is about that pickup that floats your boat.

Thanks!

-el R.

2. YoGeorge

YoGeorge Tele-Afflicted

In some ways, an Esquire pickup is easier to choose than a tele bridge pickup, because you don't have to compromise your amp settings to work well with two pickups.

If you have a thinner, vintagey sounding pickup, you can boost the bass and mids on the amp and not get a garbled neck pickup sound. I remember Vince Gill playing his '52 Tele for years (and I saw him live a number of times) with a broken neck pickup that he never bothered to fix. He sounded just fine. You will not get phat archtop tones out of a bridge pickup, and at worst you will have "treble and muffled treble" which may get on your nerves and the audience's nerves.

If you want guts, get something gutsy like a Muy Grande, Harmonic Designs Vintage Plus, or Dimarzio Pre-B1. If you want vintagey, go for a Duncan Broadcaster or Fender Texas Special. If you want over the top, Duncan Hot Tele or Quarter Pounder. I've used most of these, in either teles or an Esquire.

There are a lot of other pickups that are fine--I've just used the ones I list above.

George

3. lineboat

lineboat Friend of Leo's

I vote Duncan Broadcaster. It's quickly became my favorite....

4. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

the ones ive tried are all over the place spec wise. In general I prefer overwound, broadcaster types, but also a Fralin Stock worked really well. Its low wind but takes dirt well and cleans up brilliantly. kind of a do-it-all pickup.

pretty much whatever pickup makes a good tele works for esquire.

ones ive tried and liked:

Mare Super Sport
    Fralin Stock
    Novak Stock
    p90 lollar
    Rumpelstiltskin 1950

5. Turnercaster

Turnercaster Tele-Meister

SD Broadcaster. You'll be glad you did.

6. arem

arem Tele-Meister

Cavalier Lion, it's a raunchy rocking pickup that is perfect for an Esquire. Rob does great work for an amazing price.

7. vintage clubber

vintage clubber Friend of Leo's

8. cocoboudin

cocoboudin Tele-Holic

10+ on that. Cocoboudin

9. elyuyi

elyuyi Tele-Meister

I just received a Don Mare 0038 10k for my esquire build.

10. straightface

straightface Friend of Leo's

This. I replaced a Duncan Broadcaster with Rob's Lion and haven't looked back.

11. Vladimir

Vladimir Friend of Leo's

Am I the only one who is happy with the stock pickup on the MIM 50's Esquire?

My other guitars have Bardens and Texas Specials, so I guess I like it for being different.
    Or maybe the difference in sound is because it's a single pickup guitar?

12. El Reclusa

The stock pup in mine isn't bad. Maybe the best explanation is that it doesn't seem to transfer all of the complexity or "loveliness" of the Esquire unplugged through an amp. I feel like I'm only getting about 75 to 80% of what's there, harmonically speaking, if that makes sense. It's like the pickup is dulling some of the guitar's best qualities. I may be imagining it, but maybe its the lack of a baseplate? I dunno.

Has anyone used a SD Donahue in an Esquire? I'm curious about that one too.

13. JCollins

JCollins Tele-Holic

I depart, a bit, from many of the Esquire aficionados. I love my Esquired-Tele clone, but the traditional Esquire wiring never really thrilled me. I put a Klein Tri-State pickup, in my Esquire. This is a single coil Tele pickup with three taps. So, each position of the switch is a different tap, and the tone control is active in each one. The differences in the taps can be very subtle, or more dramatic, depending upon the effects that I am using. This is the guitar I grab, first.

14. El Reclusa

Those of y'all using the Lion: what is it about that pickup that does it for you?

15. cocoboudin

cocoboudin Tele-Holic

Just plain simple it's the tone, iv'e got 1 (Cavalier Lion) and it did the job so well. Of course what a person ear from another 1 can be different but still that pup ROCK the house 100 miles per hours(no joke)and can be has mellow for jazz, now your talking about versatility. Cocoboudin

16. El Reclusa

I dunno about the Esquire, but I think I'll be trying a Mozart for a HB-routed Musicmaster ASAP! Thanks for tipping me off about Rose! Have you tried their Tele pups?

17. telemaster7082

telemaster7082 Tele-Afflicted

I acquired a classic vibe that Im turning into an esquire. I got turned onto a little '59 by a member here.

I had a full size '59 in the neck of my tele and I really liked it. I had series/parallel switching so I could get both single coil and humbucker tones.

So, with the esquire Im goin to follow one of the diagrams I found on tdpri, i cant rememer the poster, but he or she had a tonne of different esquire type diagrams. Im probably going to do a 5-way super switch. This will give me versatility AND simplicity, and if i dont like it, oh well. Takes 20 minutes to wire up a regular 3 way.

Whatever you choose, i would recommend buying used. That way if you dont like it, chances are you can get your money back.

18. YoGeorge

YoGeorge Tele-Afflicted

I love full sized Duncan '59 buckers. I have one in the neck of one tele, and I have a pair in a Les Paul. I like the big '59 bucker a lot. Reminds me of 60's Gibsons, which I owned when I started playing in 1966.

The lil' 59 sounds nothing like a big '59. It is murky and muddy, has no musicality to it IMO. It uses ceramic magnets and has 16k of wire in a narrow format. The big '59 has 8k of wire and uses traditional Alnico 5 magnets. The lil' 59 more resembles the full size JB bucker, which coincidentally has 16k of wire and is murky and muddy. The lil' 59 and JB are loads of fun with a massively overdriven amp playing weedly weedly licks and pinch harmonics. For anything involving subtle pickup response, "feel", and clean tones, they just don't work. Just my opinion....but I've owned two or three lil' 59's and two or three big JB's (usually bought in guitars) and they were removed post haste.

Sorry, but I regard the lil' 59 to be like the Cadillac Cimarron in the Cadillac line.

George

19. telemaster7082

telemaster7082 Tele-Afflicted

Ouch

20. Derek Kiernan

Derek Kiernan Friend of Leo's

Bill Lawrence has been posting his Esquire setup demos with his microcoil on facebook, which is more than worth checking out.

Demo #1

Demo #2

Autumn in New York

Just be mindful it's recorded on a phone, with the accompanying distortion.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.