Yesterday... The Movie

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Torren61, Jun 27, 2019.

1. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

I'm with 'ya here, TD.....I like movies that DON'T require a total suspension of belief.....like, the Avengers, or where the space aliens invade Earth, (you know...pick one of about ninety of them) or even that one Linda Lovelace starred in.....those are TOTALLY believable! :):):)

2. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

I think you'd like the movie. You have lots of pieces wrong above and are pretty sure of yourself for not knowing very much about it. That isn't like you... LOTS of things are different in the movie... even for the beatles... have you NEVER imagined what your life would have been like if you'd made different choices?

the protagonist has been encouraged by a girl who desperately loves him to pursue his dream and he does... along the way, the world shifts.. also he is NOT the only one who remembers the beatles (or coke for that matter or wonderwall, ha ha)

go to a matinee, if you want to hear the beatles again for the first time, this is a great way to do it.

3. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

In the movie, The Quiet Earth, some weird event involving the electromagnetic field erases every person from the planet, but because the main character was committing suicide at that exact moment, he wasn't erased.

I think the main character in Yesterday avoids the effect of the reality shift because he was killed at the moment that the change happened. The change didn't happen because he got hit by a truck. He was simply not part of the change to reality.

I'm looking forward to seeing this movie just so that I can spend some more time explaining it to people. :D

4. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

…I want to know what happened to the thousands of ton's of Beatles merchandise that gets sold every year. Did it all vaporize into thin air? I could forget the Beatles tomorrow but the 2 Beatles ashtrays on my coffee table would still be there. As would the few albums I still own.

5. getbent

It was never made. The songs were never written... instead of becoming the Beatles, they had different lives...

6. nomadh

nomadh Tele-Holic

It's basically a twilight zone Beatles movie.
    Nearly as fantasy as avengers or lotr

7. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's

It does seem silly to me, and I’m uninterested, but you are overthinking fantasy. I have one thing in your comments that made me stop and worry about your current state of mind. Where did “the mighty Pee Wee Herman” come from.

Toto'sDad and nojazzhere like this.
  8. getbent

interdimensional travel.. the dimension 'shivvers' he is hit by a bus right as it happens, the dimension shifts, he is in a world of people who have never heard of the beatles because they never were... and several other things that are kind of funny.

verb boten and Torren61 like this.
  9. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I thought it a nice turn of phrase fitting to the subject! :D

nojazzhere likes this.
  10. getbent

maybe td and pee wee have shaken hands.

11. nojazzhere

Not having seen the movie yet, I assume getbent has it correct.....it's not that The Beatles have been removed from the Earth.....they simply NEVER EXISTED in this alternate universe/reality/whatever.
    I'm also guessing that one theme will be (whether subtle or blatant) that the power of Beatle music will be felt REGARDLESS of the society or environment in which they occur. (?)

12. nojazzhere

....or shared adjoining theater seats.....;)

Jim622, Torren61 and getbent like this.
  13. getbent

the people existed... they just didn't choose to become the beatles... John was the son of the son of a sailor... and maybe that is what he chose?

Man, I had lots of choices along the way in my life and made my choices... but, had I chosen some others... my life would have been very different... you guys never think about that? what if? That is curious to me... I always wonder did i choose the right thing, what shall I do? and after, I dive in, I get after it, but I still wonder... what if I had stayed? What if things had been different? What if people didn't get sick when they did? This is THE THING with narrative and story telling, it is the asking the question.... what if...

The coolest part is that this english kid of indian descent is SO deeply moved by western music and its influences...

14. Toto'sDad

I have been a bit close minded about it, maybe sometime I will soften and go see it. I doubt it though, but I might watch it when it's on tv. I think I may have the leading actor mixed up with someone who stared in a movie I tried to suffer through a month or so back. A tear jerker deluxe. I may be a little to literal minded, like anyone, I've regretted selling some gear over my lifetime, but change my past? I don't think so. I might never have known my wife, or my sons and daughter, or Toto. I have spent a lot of time in the woods alone, reality is something altogether different there than in the city.

nojazzhere likes this.
  15. Toto'sDad

I think it's easier for me to believe in the Avengers than that the world would shift, and there not be the Beatles. I'm as gullible as the next guy, but my gullibility does have limits! :lol::lol::lol:

16. Toto'sDad

I don't think so, from what I've read about Pee Wee, he's a guy who prefers to go it alone and likes to do things with his own hands.

nojazzhere likes this.
  17. nojazzhere

I think about the choices I've made all the time......choices going back to childhood. There are SO MANY things I wish I could change or do over, they're almost overwhelming. But like TD says, you have to be careful as to what unexpected consequences might occur. There's NOTHING I would trade for the joy I've experienced with my grandson. And even with all of the trials, heartbreak and challenges my daughter has wrought, without her there would be no grandchild. So yes, it's an interesting bunch of "hypotheticals" to consider, but what if the problems actually came out worse?.....I think I'll just stick with my miserable reality.

18. Toto'sDad

I think you have made me come to grips with what I didn't like about the Yesterday movie and it's premise. Many is the time I rued the day I got hooked up with my oldest son's mother, but I always came back to the fact that if I hadn't been involved with her, I would have never have known him. She is passed on now, so that story is ended. My son and I did not have near enough time together, but he is one of the major delights of my life. Everything seems connected, I would not have asked my second wife out if I had not by chance stopped off to see someone on a whim, and encountered her and her sister visiting there. We married less than six months later, and she HAS been the delight of my life, along with the two children she has given me. I kind of resent the implication, you could just be walking along and have all of that wiped out. Also, yes there are grandchildren to consider. It's a good thing (as far as we know) that time is stable.

nojazzhere likes this.
  19. nojazzhere

Maybe you should go see the film, only keep repeating to yourself, "It's Only A Movie."......that's the title of a biography of Alfred Hitchcock.

Archtop Bill, Torren61 and Toto'sDad like this.
  20. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

My son wants to see it. He's going on 12 and has gotten interested in music. We have a thing where we pass the tv remote around and pick out music on YouTube. He's turned me on to a lot of stuff I ignored through the years.

Torren61, getbent and Archtop Bill like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.