Yesterday... The Movie

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Torren61, Jun 27, 2019.

1. Archtop Bill

Archtop Bill Tele-Meister

I will bet good money that is the scene I referred to.

Wow. I was not expecting that one.

2. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I famously am completely sick of the Beatles and I want to see this movie. Preferably in the theater.

There are certain directors whose movies I will see regardless and Danny Boyle is one of them.

The Mitchell Bros are another...:lol:

Torren61 and Archtop Bill like this.
  3. Archtop Bill

Yes, it is a modern film with modern music production as part of making the actor sound like he could be an overnight sensation who overshadows Ed Sheeran who had a hand in our protagonist’s rise to fame.

Yes, there is brand placement, but the most notable is Fender which should not annoy members of this forum too much. Martin managed to buy themselves a notable “role” in the film, too. Coke and Pepsi have a subplot that add to the tale.

That all said, it is a moving film with an uplifting ending. It was not the ending I expected. It is mostly a love story so here is an opportunity for us to reminisce about great music, be moved and have our date not get bored at the same time.

4. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Thanks, I was interested to know if they used vintage epiphones or correct beatles guitars etc or modern gear. Just wondered how much research or real Beatles knowledge was involved in the film and if they decided to get deep with that stuff in the film or just use generic new gear.

5. verb boten

verb boten Tele-Holic

That clip is the first i've seen of this movie, i think i would like it.
    One outstanding question for me: how does the movie explain the ignorance of the general population to the beatles? There must be a reason the star (and "songwriter") knows the tunes but no one else does?

nomadh and Torren61 like this.
  6. Archtop Bill

There is a lot of well and little known Beatles trivia. More about production and inspiration than gear. If I dive too deep I will be a spoiler.

Seriously, sit back and let the story unfold. I prefer the theater (especially opening night), but if you want to wait for Netflix you should find it worth the wait, but it really sounded good at The Carolina. When was the last time you tapped your toes with a hundred people to Back in the USSR?

7. Archtop Bill

Simply an alternate reality. Let’s say that.....

Sorry, I cannot give it away, but it was not “just a dream.”

8. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

From what I understand, the entire point of the movie is just the songs themselves.

Completely removed from the Beatles, the time period and it’s as if people heard them today for the first time.

Now if they could convince me that folks would go gaga over “being for the benefit of Mr. kite” well, that would really be something...o_O

9. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Yep. That one.

Torren61 likes this.
  10. Torren61

Torren61 Friend of Leo's

Ah! Bowakawa, pousse pousse :D

2 Headed Goat and Archtop Bill like this.
  11. Archtop Bill

There was more than one grown man crying in the auditorium last night.

Torren61 likes this.
  12. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

As far as I can tell, the premise is that reality has changed and the Beatles NEVER EXISTED. No-one has forgotten them, because they never existed in this reality. However, there is one guy who knows about them and their music.

It probably doesn't need to include vintage-correct gear, because the movie takes place right now, based on some of the cars in the trailer, and the inclusion of James Cordon's late night talk show.

The premise reminds me of the premise in The Quiet Earth, wherein one person survived a reality-changing event.

13. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

I don't recall ANYONE going gaga over For the Benefit of Mr Kite....even back "in the day".
    Besides, I'm one of those Beatle fans who stopped being "fanatical" after Revolver or Rubber Soul. I liked Sgt Pepper and Abbey Road and parts of the White Album, but my "gaga" days were MUCH earlier.

Stubee and Torren61 like this.
  14. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

all I can say is my wife has been a house cleaning, boxing machine today and with beatles music all day!

tele-rain, black_doug, Stubee and 3 others like this.
  15. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

That's is my objection to the whole premise, the fact that it is for all practical purposes a different time line. Also, if the timeline is different how does one guy remember and NO one else canl? If's a different time line, and the Beatles NEVER existed, the central figure would not be able to remember something that never happened. It's one of those things where you don't just have to suspend belief, you have to loudly proclaim that a horse apple tastes just like a delicious fresh picked Fuji. A timeline so different that the Beatles never existed would have many other changes in the remaining reality. Who knows what? Only the script writer knows for sure. I'm sorry lady, go pedal crazy somewhere else, we're all full up around here. (at least at my house)

PS:

The event of the twisted time line is supposed to have happened because one of seven billion people on earth had a motorcycle accident? Bah, humbug, if the universe is that fragile, we'd better hope no one else stubs their toe. We got enough crazies on motorcycles around here in fabulous B-Town to wipe out the Beatles, Elvis, the mighty Pee Wee Herman, and even Arnold Schwarzenegger from the vast Catechism of the end of days.

Jim622 and nojazzhere like this.
  16. Torren61

Torren61 Friend of Leo's

I think you're not really supposed to ponder it that hard. You just kinda accept it is what it is and then roll with it. I haven't seen the movie yet but I don't think you're supposed to debate whether the Beatles were over rated or wonder why the music doesn't sound exactly like what you know the albums to be.

I think it's just supposed to be a fun little movie with a love story and some cool music. That's all.

17. Torren61

Torren61 Friend of Leo's

Why does everything here have to be so debated and argued over and analyzed? Is it because most of us are a bunch of old men?

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
  18. Torren61

Torren61 Friend of Leo's

Here's some lighthearted "cat with tape" entertainment. No cats were harmed in the making of this video. Enjoy.

bloomz and Archtop Bill like this.
  19. staxman

staxman Tele-Holic

Wow! A movie that requires one to suspend belief and is not realistic... that's never been done.

bloomz, Archtop Bill, getbent and 3 others like this.
  20. Torren61

Torren61 Friend of Leo's

Weird, huh?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.