Yesterday... The Movie

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Torren61, Jun 27, 2019.

1. BCblues55

BCblues55 Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

I didn’t notice much placement other than one which is pretty cool to the plot. (Don’t want to spoil anything.)

The lead actor plays a Martin acoustic and a Telecaster. I didn’t notice which models amps, but I think they were Fenders.

2. Whoa Tele

Whoa Tele Friend of Leo's

Shouldn't those sheep be wearing round lens glasses instead of rectangular?

3. BCblues55

BCblues55 Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

For those of you who go to see it in theaters, there’s a brief shot of the backing band on “Help” and I thought I saw Rick Springfield playing rhythm guitar. I didn’t catch it in the credits and I can’t find the personnel listed online, but that version was HOT!

John Nicholas and Torren61 like this.
  4. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

Not in my mind! :)
    linda carter lindsay wagner.jpg

RoyBGood, Bassman8, Scooter91 and 4 others like this.
  5. Torren61

Torren61 Friend of Leo's

I finally got to see this movie today. I really enjoyed it. It's not perfect and I wasn't expecting perfection. I did get what I was expecting... which is good music performed competently and an uplifting story with a happy ending. Sure, there were holes in the science behind the plot and if you're a physicist you may get a bit irked but I'm not and I was willing to overlook that so I could just sit back and enjoy the movie.

One complaint I've seen written here is that the music wasn't produced well enough and I guess I would agree with that except one should remember, in that reality, the Beatles had never existed and this one guy had some talent to remember the songs and perform them, so, he was making those tunes for the first time and whatever way he was doing them was the "correct" way because of that. Except for "Hey Dude", but that wasn't his choice.

The ending could have been a bit more thought out but, again, I wasn't expecting another "Citizen Kane" or "The Godfather" so it was okay with me. One thing I thought was funny or telling was at the end of the movie, no one got up and left until after all the credits had finished rolling. Maybe because it ended with The Beatles' performance of "Hey Jude".

I would recommend the movie to anyone who likes Beatles music. I wouldn't recommend going to the theater to see the film if you don't like doing that or if you think The Beatles are overrated or if you are the kind of person who can't suspend their disbelief for about two hours.

6. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

Saw it tonight with my wife......meh.

Telecasterless and Torren61 like this.
  7. Torren61

Torren61 Friend of Leo's

One man's satisfying movie experience is another man's "meh".

4pickupguy likes this.
  8. Telecasterless

Telecasterless Friend of Leo's

My mother-in-law is a HUGE Beatles fan and wanted to go with my wife, and I didn't want to get stuck home on a Sunday afternoon so I thought I would tag along which meant we had to bring our 10 year old daughter. Quick check of the ratings showed only a F word or two, so figured my daughter would be too busy chowing sour patch kids to even notice. Besides, I hit my big toe enough around the house for her to be bored by that already.

I wish I could say it was a great film but I got kind of bored and wanted it to end after about an hour or so. I mean, I enjoyed it purely because I had nothing better to do and I had red vines and popcorn in my lap, so, you know, that's not too bad. The actress that plays the manager was absurdly over the top as to be annoying. The premise is not really that interesting or creative, it's like one of those high-concept Hollywood films but done by the English, which is so unfortunate because I always thought only Hollywood could make films based on an silly premise.

So, I enjoyed it because my daughter was there and kind of liked the music, and there is some funny humor here and there, and the Rocky character is kind of loveable, but it is one of those movies that as soon as it is over you will never ever think about it again. I can still remember my dinner out afterwards as being more tasty than the film itself.

Torren61, RoyBGood and Chunkocaster like this.
  9. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I wasn't that interested in seeing it but the happy ending you mentioned has me intrigued.
    Did you see it alone or with a companion?
    I was going to wait until it was on YouTube but the price of admission might be worth it after all.:)

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
  10. Telecasterless

I must add that perhaps the most memorable part of the film was during the trailers when they were screening the preview for Downton Abbey, which was full of upper crust dialogue and snootiness, closing with a clever quip from one elderly English actress, that as soon as the screen faded and it was dead quiet, I burst out in the theater in my best Terry-Thomas voice "baa...baa....baa, look here" and the audience erupted in laughter. I think that was more laughs than the entire film got.

11. Telecasterless

12. tele-rain

tele-rain Friend of Leo's

Saw the movie last night and loved it! It was everything I expected, just a light, cutesy, fun flick with some great music. I thought the actor played the role really well, he was humble and charming, and his quirky facial expressions were an extra chuckle in their intended places. I also liked his renditions of the Beatles songs, he’s got a nice voice, though as I’d expect I have seen some critique them. But it wasn’t supposed to be an exact replica of the Beatles, he was rebuilding them from scratch. Help was a bit much but clearly that on purpose at that point in the film with the level of fame he’d achieved. I also liked how some other things didn’t exist, which helped the joke go farther because you never knew when one was gonna pop up. And that scene with the big marketing meeting was hilarious, the little things cracked me up like the huge table and all of the drinks they had in front of them were various trendy type healthy drinks...smoothies, coconut water, and the big reusable containers. No plain water or god forbid coffee there! Definitely enjoyed it and would see it again.

13. tele-rain

tele-rain Friend of Leo's

Also I will add I thought Ed Sheeran was pretty fun to watch too. Again the small things got me...I’ll just say ring tone, to not give too much away :cool: There was some review that said he was hard to watch or something of that nature, but he was playing himself in an exaggerated fashion. Only way to critique that is if you don’t like the person already, which I assume was the case. From what I know of Sheeran, he is quite the jokester, I’m sure he got a real kick out of this “role”.

14. Archtop Bill

Archtop Bill Tele-Meister

There was an extended scene with what looked like a couple 68 Custom Twin Reverbs. In this case, rather appropriate. As fas as electric guitars, it looks like Fender paid for placement, Martin for acoustic.

Torren61 likes this.
  15. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

We’re going when it gets here
    Love the premise, love The Beatles, enjoy a flight of fantasy, plus our theatre had killer sound. Especially on the big screen
    At least this isn’t (as far as I know) a Hollywood rehash of a rehash of another flick

16. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

Saw it on the weekend. Man some of you are a crusty lot! :)

Not sure how the complaints of the music relate, given he was a single amature guy trying to remember the words and music o the originals?

Enjoyed it thoroughly. Good light hearted entertainment. A few nice little plot twists (nothing major).

I barely know Ed Sheerans music but know of the guy. He did alright for a musician acting worked fine for his part.

The Woman manager was awesome. Reminded me of the Pink Floyd line "which one is Pink?" As did the "industry "Meeting Meeting". She was a great laugh but scarey in that you have to wonder if they are really like that.

Wife and I enjoyed it a lot.

17. John Nicholas

John Nicholas Friend of Leo's

Well... I got to see the movie Yesterday in the town of Bemidji Minnesota... The theater was very nice and my wife sai it had the cleanest bathrooms of any other theater we've ever been in. It was a late afternoon show and there were 3 other people in the theater with us...

I was very entertained by the film. But then again I am a fan of the Beatles... Not a super fan or anything but love some of their music very much.

It's also easy for me to suspend belief and live in the moment, going along on the ride the filmmakers are taking me on. There were some very touching moments and some that really make you think.

Sure, if you are over 40 and have watched numerous movies in the past, there is no way any new movie can or will be 100% original... We've seen some things hundreds if not thousands of times in films. To me, this film did not have an overwhelming amount of those scenes.

It was very enjoyable film, which my wife and I talked about for some time after.

A big part of the fun was texting my buddies the next day saying I had seen Yesterday yesterday.. But then again I like that kind of thing!!

18. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Holic

Saw it today and enjoyed it for all of the reasons listed above.

There’s a particularly amusing part near the beginning where he does a Google search to make sure his friends aren’t messing with him when they say they’ve never heard of The Beatles and he discovers other things that never existed. It’s pretty funny.

19. bloomz

bloomz Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Whew! I skimmed the whole 10 pages hoping no one was going to spoil it - couple of you came close but thankfully I didn't read it.

I do I do I do

BANG! I had to find that scene on youtube and watch it again - and I chit you not - it made me cry. (We rented it at Redbox and I'd returned it before I realized I HAD to see that scene again - so it's there if anyone else is as sappy as me)

They just changed the world is all, and WAY WAY for the better.

I am a huge fan and think they are the greatest to ever walk the earth - SRSLY. Pink Floyd are my favs but nobody NOBODY touches the Beatles.

The movie was just short of wonderful - with that huge cliffhanger and that emotional scene.

Wife and I loved it - me more than her because she didn't grow up with them like I did. (She wasn't born yet)

The first time I heard them, I want To Hold Your Hand, I remember so vividly, I can still see my hand reaching for the radio knob - and music RANG MY BELL for the first time in my life, and I begged my Mom to loan me the money to buy the album - which I still have in the garage. (I was 16, my brother listened to Green Door and Don't Knock the Rock and Elvis stuff - MEH)

I have a delivery job, with XMSirius - and 80% of the time I'm in the car it's tuned to the zero commercial Beatles channel. I've never gotten tired of them since that day when I was 16 and reached for that volume knob.

They were a gift from God.

Call me sappy but I already admitted I cried at that one scene.

And thank you all for not spoiling it, even maybe to the poor haters that just might see it someday.

I don't want to live in a world without the Beatles, thank you. (most of the rest of them you can light a match to - lol)

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.