Yesterday, I had the Worst restaurant experience ever

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Blazer, Oct 27, 2021.

1. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

So yesterday me and a school friend went to The Hague just to hang out, do some "Boys will be boys" shopping (Old transformers and comic books) and basically have a good time.

Anyway, dinnertime came around and we started looking for a place to have chow down, we passed a BBQ Burger joint where the fumes were already making out tummies growl. We sat down at the terrace, ordered and paid for our food and waited.

- And waited

- And waited

- And waited

90 minutes later, the waitress who took our order showed up and asked us if we had ordered something yet. And we told her "Well yeah and YOU took that order!" and "How much longer do we have to wait for our food?" at which she turned white and went "Oh my gosh, so those plates were meant for you guys!"

She went back inside and we heard some raised voices from the head chef, she came back out with our food which had been on the service til for all that time and had gotten cold and apologized for completely forgetting about us.

Now my buddy and I aren't difficult fellas, we ate the food wondering how much better it would have tasted if that waitress hadn't been so forgetful.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2021
  2. Cantbreak100guy

Cantbreak100guy Tele-Holic

Please tell us there was no charge for the food...:mad:

3. twangking

twangking Friend of Leo's

She probably hit up a cafe before work.

4. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I wouldn’t eat that.

Obsessed, stinkey and teletail like this.
  5. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

Did they reheat the food?

6. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Tele-Holic

That’s happened to me before too. Somewhat. We ordered our food. Waitress disappeared for an hour, never to return. It wasn’t busy. At all.

I walked back to the kitchen area and asked the cook if our chicken sandwiches were almost done. He said “what sandwiches?”

she didn’t even put the order in, and ghosted.
    Manager said we would get a “steep discount. I told him. “Yes. A 100% discount.” All’s well that ends well.

They closed not long after. Can’t imagine why. But they had a damn good chicken sandwich. I miss that.

It was basically a lower class Hooters.. if that’s possible.

7. fjblair

fjblair Tele-Afflicted

I would have been long gone. What is bbq burger?

Ash Telecaster and as5431 like this.
  8. Lou Tencodpees

Lou Tencodpees Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Once while having lunch alone I handed my waitress my credit card. She went in back and I heard things getting heated, yelling. 10 minutes later no credit card, no waitress. After a few more minutes I cornered another waiter and asked if my waitress had quit. Sheepishly he said yes. It took a while but they finally found my credit card in the pocket of the apron she presumably threw at the manager.

9. buster poser

buster poser Friend of Leo's

You waited for an hour and a half?

fjblair, pixeljammer, 68tele and 5 others like this.
  10. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

They ordered and paid in advance. Walking out would have been throwing away money.

11. buster poser

buster poser Friend of Leo's

Whole lot of daylight between walking out and waiting 90 minutes.

12. 985plowboy

985plowboy Poster Extraordinaire

I waited tables before.
    I screwed up an order once.
    When I realized what I’d done, I found a manager and explained my mistake. He went to the table with me, introduced himself, explained the situation to the customers and told them that he’d have the kitchen remake the order and that I’d have it out to them in a couple minutes and that there would be no charge.
    That was a good manager.
    That was good customer service.
    Those folks even left me a tip.

Deeve, Skyhook, mkdaws32 and 11 others like this.
  13. Mike SS

Mike SS Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Good wait staff can make, or break you. In your case Blazer, the chef should have been a bit more attentive/aggressive in pursuing the order. When I line cooked we always had a ticket that identified the waitress and the table. I put an order up and called the waitress. If she did not respond, due to working another customer, one of the other waits could take the food to the table for her.
    It seems for the waitress to have no idea about an order she would have had to verbally order the burgers? And for the chef to also have no idea about the food he prepared would tend to support this theory.

14. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Last month, our family decided to have our ( every 2 years) reunion exploring a bit of Baltimore's Inner Harbor for a few days.
    (Nice enough, I live in No. Virginia just 80 miles away, but my siblings are in other parts of US)

Anyway, on our last night together, my brother-in-law treated us all to our last dinner together...
    ( a very generous tradition, 11 of us this time)
    ... at a very nice seafood franchise restaurant downtown.
    We had very good service at the start ( our servers said they were short-handed, but wer attentive), ordered appetizers and drinks, all good.

Then things kind of fell apart when we ordered our meals
    It took a while to get served, and eventually we all got our meals, except my son's Chilean Sea Bass-
    It seems like his order got served to another patron who ordered the same...
    So my son did not get his Bass, until all of us were done with our meal**.

My brother- in-law ( paying for this dinner) was definitely upset about this, but civil, and the manager/wait staff were very apologetic. Pros, IMO.

My son's and brother-in-law's meal were comp-ed, a few free desserts,
    ( all the food was fantastic!)
    and knowing my brother in law, I'm sure he still left a great tip.

An example of good 'damage control' service?

**note: we are 'poor' by comparison, and would not complain about any of this, as it was free to us anyway

15. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Friend of Leo's

I would been gone a hell of a lot sooner than that. :mad:

nojazzhere and stinkey like this.
  16. Happy Enchilada

Happy Enchilada Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

All these are good arguments for "dining and dashing."

I had a not great experience at a restaurant her locally. Country breakfast joint, been coming there since it opened years ago, and it's been through numerous changes of ownership and management. Food is always great and service varies. It was busy in there, but the waitress didn't deliver my boy's toast until after he was done with his omelet and we were ready to leave. Toast, fer Pete's sake!!! How hard is THAT??? I grudgingly left her a $2 tip and won't be back there for at least 6 months. By then, they'll undoubtedly be under new ownership. Or closed. There are several good breakfast places that are closer to our place, and as long as the food and service continue to pass muster, I'll spend my $$$ there, thanks.

17. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Friend of Leo's

I got some kind of food poisoning while out for a Buddy's birthday. 2 hours after eating I started vomiting and there was no end in sight. My friends took me to the hospital where the nurse told me it was probably just the flu, gave me a shot of Gravol and sent me on my way.

I guess things continued to fester and in a day or two I started feeling really bad again.

I lost 25 pounds over the next month, couldn't eat (and retain) a full meal for at least six months, couldn't handle any alcohol for about nine months and had random bouts of IBS for at least nine months.

I went for a couple tests over the months that really didn't provide any answers. Eventually everything returned to normal.

Everyone else was fine because they all ate wings. But of course I had lasagna, Caesar salad and garlic bread. Best guesses were bad garlic butter and or listeria infection.

The bar closed down within the next year.

Moral of the story? If a place is known for wings and not known for anything else, just eat the wings.

getbent likes this.
  18. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

I just had a crummy experience at Ruby Tuesdays, which is sad because they're the last salad bar place near me. My wife and I went there around 5 PM last week, and ordered hamburgers with the salad bar add-on. Unfortunately, the salad bar was nearly depleted. I asked if they were going to refill everything, and the waitress said the person who usually did that didn't show up for work, and the rest of the help were trying to do it, but didn't know what they were supposed to do. The wife ordered fries and I ordered tater tots. My tater tots were ice cold and hard, like they were cooked around 1:30 and sat under the light for hours. I sent them back. The waitress was about to pick up my plate, when I stopped her and took the burger off and put it on a salad plate, 'cause the burger was fine. My fresh tots didn't show up for another ten minutes, by which time, I'd eaten the burger and didn't care anymore. We managed to get half-a-salad at the salad bar, but that never got replenished. I argued with the witress, and she talked to the manager, and they took the salad bars off the bill, but come on, I'll be surprised if this place is still in business by next spring.

stinkey and Geoff738 like this.
  19. johnny k

johnny k Poster Extraordinaire

usually, when i wait for food, i order beer. When the beer is empty, i order another one. You don't have to order beer, anything works, but it is a good way to remember whoever is tending the tables that you are here.

20. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Well at least go out. Almost 2 years since I ate out.

nvilletele likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.