Yes, if you have a pet...you're probably gonna have to let them go eventually. RIP Rocket, 2009ish-2022.

Nubs

Friend of Leo's
Hardest thing to do by far. I'm sorry for your loss and know all too well how it goes. I lost both of mine back in 2019/2020 and it changed me forever.

A suggestion moving forward to dog owners who have to go through this difficult process. Instead of taking them to the vet to be put down as many dogs hate the vet, ask them if they can come to your house to do it. The dog will be in a comfortable place surrounded by people he/she knows and loves.

RIP Rocket!

tcadam

Tele-Afflicted
It sucks and my condolences.

We had to do the same with Kirby (see avatar pic) this past St. Patrick's Day. The week leading up to that day, after the decision had been made, was about the longest of my life. I never realized that I would feel as guilty about it as I do.

I still think I see him out of the corner of my eye just about every day.

24 track

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
what a gorgeous pup!

it really is amazing how animals respond to us with unconditional trust and love.
you do know that how ever things came to closure , he would not have wanted it any other way , your buddy forever.

My sincerest condolences!

String Tree

Doctor of Teleocity
We got Rocket from a shelter in Fayetteville, TN back in 2009/2010 (can't recall). We were looking for a replacement for Jake, a jet-black GSD who passed due to DM. His girlfriend, Skye (Brittany mix) just went nuts with grief and could not stand being alone. So, we went looking for a boyfriend for her.

Rocket and Skye were instant friends. Skye died of old age a couple years ago.

Basically, all our larger dogs (above 50lbs) have been 'backyard' dogs. Rocket was no exception. He (and Skye) kept the backyard in Alabama possum/armadillo/raccoon free, etc., etc.

When we moved here in 2020, it was Rocket's first posting as an indoor/outdoor dog. He adapted in about 2 minutes...even adapting to Ollie the cat just about instantly. He did not like the baths required for a life of leisure indoors...but shrugged them off. He has been my constant companion, walking buddy, greeter of neighbors (nobody knows my name, but they all know Rocket) and barker at birds (for some reason he hated large birds, vultures, hawks, etc).

He should have been a therapy dog. No jumping, no slobbering, nothing but a crotch/butt sniff and "please pet me".

In the past year, he's been slowing down, eating less and less (he's been on kidney-happy food his entire life with us). Obviously sick, he's been on the downhill run...and I had to take him on his last ride to the vet yesterday.

Great dog! RIP buddy.
View attachment 985336
View attachment 985337
They simply don't live as long as we do.
It is like losing a friend.

Stubee

Doctor of Teleocity
I am so sorry. A friend up here had us over for dinner years ago and a truly ancient hunting dog came out and worked it’s way as best it could around the table, ever hopeful. I asked and my friend said “that’s Rocket”!

RIP Rocket.

Deeve

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Rest in peace, Rocket.

Know that you were loved just as hard as you loved, and you are going to be the reason for laughing tears, as stories are told about the full life you lived.

Our fur-babies are gone now, but we still miss 'em. They stay alive by the stories we re-tell.
Crazy, loving times.
Peace - Deeve