Yes, if you have a pet...you're probably gonna have to let them go eventually. RIP Rocket, 2009ish-2022.

trapdoor2

Friend of Leo's
We got Rocket from a shelter in Fayetteville, TN back in 2009/2010 (can't recall). We were looking for a replacement for Jake, a jet-black GSD who passed due to DM. His girlfriend, Skye (Brittany mix) just went nuts with grief and could not stand being alone. So, we went looking for a boyfriend for her.

Rocket and Skye were instant friends. Skye died of old age a couple years ago.

Basically, all our larger dogs (above 50lbs) have been 'backyard' dogs. Rocket was no exception. He (and Skye) kept the backyard in Alabama possum/armadillo/raccoon free, etc., etc.

When we moved here in 2020, it was Rocket's first posting as an indoor/outdoor dog. He adapted in about 2 minutes...even adapting to Ollie the cat just about instantly. He did not like the baths required for a life of leisure indoors...but shrugged them off. He has been my constant companion, walking buddy, greeter of neighbors (nobody knows my name, but they all know Rocket) and barker at birds (for some reason he hated large birds, vultures, hawks, etc).

He should have been a therapy dog. No jumping, no slobbering, nothing but a crotch/butt sniff and "please pet me".

In the past year, he's been slowing down, eating less and less (he's been on kidney-happy food his entire life with us). Obviously sick, he's been on the downhill run...and I had to take him on his last ride to the vet yesterday.

Great dog! RIP buddy.
Rocket_Ollie.jpg

Rocket.jpg

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Aww, Rocket looks like a great friend. I’m sorry for your loss.
My best friend was abandoned with her entire litter about 13 years ago on the I65 median at highway 64 not far from there.

I have a 3 year old dog too, he won’t even go outside or upstairs unless his sister goes with him.

Save the happy memories of Rocket.

Greggorios

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
What a handsome fella. You were both blessed to have shared your lives with each other. And the same goes for Skye and Jake. I've experienced the same sad thing with an animal when it looses it's companion. It's heart-breaking but also beautiful-love and loss. So glad Skye and Rocket bonded.

johnny k

Poster Extraordinaire
When you think about it, the amount of joy they give you in their lifespan is probably worth the time to grieve. But I have never been to the vet to put my only cat which didn't end as road pizza, my mom did it. 17 years old is a pretty good run. But it was hard for her and me. I don't think i could take it and i would probably have been crying all the way home taking her in a sack and bury her.

trapdoor2

Friend of Leo's
Sounds like Rocket had good people. RIP

BTW was it Rocket as in Rocket J Squirrel?
Where we lived, there are rockets everywhere. Huntsville, AL "Rocket City", NASA, etc, etc. Funnily, we never even thought about the connections until after the fact. We didn't even think about the name pairing of "Skye" and "Rocket" until a couple weeks later. He was named on the way back from the shelter. The shelter had named him "Abe" due to his calm nature and sage appearance. When "Rocket" popped up, it stuck.

Pretty much normal random naming for our gang of pets. Barton (cat), Roxanne, Cricket, Blondie, Cleo, Hobbes (Maine Coon cat), Zeke 'n' Ollie (cats), Jake 'n' Skye, Rocket. All are gone except Ollie, who is 17 and now mellow where he was previously a handful.

For 11 yrs, Rocket was the only "Rocket" at the vet (one of the largest in Huntsville, pop 250K and climbing) but they had two dogs and two cats named "Ollie"...

Thanks y'all.

And yes, we've agreed to go "pet-free" once Ollie passes (he'll probably live to be 100, the little bastid). We want to travel and not have to worry about pet-sitting, etc. The neighbor's across the street have a new puppy and we've already pet-sit for him twice. When I need a fix, I can always go get Charlie (they call him a labradoodle-doodle...he's only 20lbs and still puppy-hyper) and go for a walk.