Yes, I have sinned... again... NGD

dv

TDPRI Member
Congrats, Gibson acoustics have the best necks and sound huge, very cool!

mkdaws32

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
That is a nice one; I always preferred a brown burst finish on an acoustic guitar instead of the natural finish - and a great story too!

985plowboy

Poster Extraordinaire
Well done!!
I have a 2017 standard model J-45 that I bought new in August of that year.
It has the Slim taper neck, grovers, black case and the standard pick guard.
It is a great guitar, but had the 50’s version been available at that time, I may have chosen it as I prefer fatter necks.

thechad

Tele-Holic
Well... long story short:

I am working in Estonia, north of the EU. A nice flat and small country full of forests and nice people. I was having beers in Tallinn, the capital, with some friends... long night... night? here barely gets dark only on this part of the year... so early in the morning (or late at night) we happened to go near the harbour. I have never been to Finland or Helsinki. We should go, is only 2 hours Ferry and 20€. Do you have your Covid Passport? yes, in my phone.
So... why not?

20€ and and while later we were on the boat drinking and laughing to Helsinki.

Nice city, nice country, expensive beer. and just walking we happen to go to the door of a guitar shop.

Happy Birthday and congrats on the new guitar! I’ve done the cruise from Helsinki to Tallinn as a day trip. Great times in beautiful places. I remember a lot of people on the ferry ride were taking trolleys with them. My wife said it was to stock up on booze once the ferry got into waters midway and alcohol was tax free. Also if you bought enough you would get a free ferry ride next month. So I think many people stock up on cheaper alcohol for them and their friends and make a little vacation out of it.
While we were touring around Tallinn, I heard an amazing busker on the streets, he was playing a really groovy dirty tune on his beat up acoustic and had a voice like Tom waits with a sore throat. That sound was stuck in my mind for weeks.

thanks for the story and jogging my memories as well. Safe travels and enjoy :)

RomanS

Poster Extraordinaire
Congratulations!

Frankly, I'd take a good J-45 over a Martin every time, something about that Gibson thunk that makes it work so well for any kind of "old-timey" music...

Incidentally, I'm also celebrating my 50th birthday this year (in December), and I've also been planning on making myself a present of a nice acoustic - the LG2 from that Gibson 50s Original series (can't play big bodies because of shoulder problems). Unfortunately, it backordered indefinitely in most stores in Europe (at least the sunburst version).

Last edited:

4pickupguy

Doctor of Teleocity
Complete score, stunning guitar, bought in foreign land, you have the story and new friends and new guitar.... name it after its hometown and you’re set!!
Sounds like a song in the making... it’ll sound like it’s about a girl named Tallinn, but we’ll all know it’s your guitar.