Yep, another “which one” question

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by lineboat, Apr 13, 2019.

1. lineboat

lineboat Friend of Leo's

I really like all my amps. They have their place and purpose. Definitely don’t NEED another one, but I’m kinda wanting either a Pro Jr or Blues Jr. I have limited experience with both, but have played the older models of each one a little bit. This will mainly be used for living room noodling, and playing with friends occasionally. It won’t have to get super loud, no drummer at all. There were a dozen or more of us last night playing around, two electrics and the rest acoustic. I’ve been using an AC10 a lot, and love it. I honestly think that amp is way out of the class of either of the Jrs, but I’m still gonna wanting one! So....
    What’re y’alls suggestions?

Bruxist likes this.
  2. ScottJPatrick

ScottJPatrick Friend of Leo's

I know it's not on your list but the Super Champ X2 is probably the best for noodling around on, plenty loud enough for what you need too. I prefer the sound of the Pro Jr over the Blues Jr but unless you can wind it up a bit you're not going to get a lot of variation with it.

3. lineboat

lineboat Friend of Leo's

I had forgotten about the X2. I had a little SC a couple years ago. Maybe it was the XD? I can’t remember. It sounded pretty good. Yeah, I’ll add it to the list too!

4. Festus_Hagen

Festus_Hagen Tele-Holic

I hate to say it , but the MonoPrice 15 watter is a really good buy, has a 1 watt switch, gain, master, and lots of tone control. I also have a Blues Jr, and I would take the MP over the BJ for the price difference,

That said, I've been loving my Princeton reverb lately, but you don't have a master, gain, etc with it.

Good luck! Hope you find what ya want!

lineboat likes this.
  5. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Why don't I own a Pro Jr?, simple. They sound pretty damn good when wound up to levels that you'd use with a drummer, but at 'jamming with acoustics' levels?, not so much. When they're let off the leash and allowed to breathe, they're rather good, but at lower levels?, they could be anything.
    I've tried a few Blues Jrs, and thankfully we all have different ears and expectations. It does have gain/master setup, which is quite useful.
    The Laney Cub 12r/Monoprice 15 seems to lick many ice creams. We don't get the Monoprice over here, but I have tried the Laney Cub12r. The <1 Watt switch is very useful. Fine sounding and I'd take the Laney ( Monoprice ) over the Blues Jr any day. The addition of an FX loop and master tone control ( think treble cut-ish ) sweeten the deal. I can sense the torches being lit and the pitchfork tines being sharpened already :)
    Others that may be contenders. The Laney Cub 10. An oft overlooked little spud of an amp. Not many tricks up its sleeve, but those it does, it does very well indeed. Think a sort of Pro Jr with a gain/master setup and you'd not be too far off. It's a darker timbre from it. 2x6V6 in the output stage make for a sweet, compressed tone where the EL84 can sound a little brittle. Again, my ears. If I were to whittle down the number of amps I own to three, it'd be my Champ-a-like, my Cub 10 and my G3, in no particular order.
    Single ended amps like Champ-a-likes may be worth looking at. 5 Watts can be barking loud if you let it, but a Champ through a decent speaker is a joy to hear. Marshall, Blackstar and Vox ( among others ) have a good range with more options, plus there's the cheaper end such as the Monoprice 5 Watt ( Laney Cub 8 reborn ) and Joyo JTA-5.

Brew some coffee, haunt Youtube, set aside a day and go amp hunting.

6. Lord_Ingipz

Lord_Ingipz Tele-Meister

If you already got an ac10 get yourself a tweed deluxe. American/british sound is where it at my man.

lineboat likes this.
  7. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Afflicted

You can have it all on a Katana!

Beachbum and lineboat like this.
  8. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's

Blues Jr for living room, because of the master volume. Nothing wrong with hybrids that have a tube preamp if you’re never going to crank the power tubes.

lineboat likes this.
  9. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's

I love my PJ but it is loud. I bought it for home use and it is really too loud for it.

Still I love it, so it stays.

lineboat likes this.
  10. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Holic

If you could only buy a bjr or pro jr, I'd say buy a used bjr and spend money on upgrades.

Or buy a Supro Blues King, which most guitar store patrons over the last 2 months describe as "what a blues jr is trying to sound like".

Or a princeton. ;)

lineboat likes this.
  11. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

Lately I’ve come to this conclusion.....we often hear things like, Clapton can step up to any amp and find his tone. I realized that no matter which of my amps I plug into I dial in the same basic tone because that is what I like.....sooo why do I need my vibro champ, 5e3, Princeton non verb, VOX ac15c2 and studio pro when I dial them in to basically the same tones. Yes minor differences are there but not big!
    Cheers

12. lineboat

lineboat Friend of Leo's

I have to agree with that. I’ll work on the knobs until I get this mid-heavy tone O always use, and if the amp isn’t quite right, throw a pedal in front of it to get it there. We are well over 100 miles from any store that might have something in stock to play. Ive about decided to just wait and buy the one that I can’t leave without. It may be next month or next year, but sometimes that hunt is as much fun as anything.

13. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Pro Jr … trust me .

asnarski and dougstrum like this.
  14. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

And that is why I have decided to drastically thin the herd at my place. I think we are all that way unless you play multiple genres where different tones are necessary. I really don't and could get by with far less gear.

As for the OP, I don't think you really need either one of those amps really. Noodling in the living room....a THR10. Jamming with friends....a simple champ.

TokyoPortrait likes this.
  15. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

i have 4 moods.& why down to 4 amp circuits & others are going bye bye. jtm45-jtm50-jmp50-dsl100..can get them all close in a way but man is it fun to be genuinely inspired each time you plug in...

16. lineboat

lineboat Friend of Leo's

Well, I decided against the Pro and Blues Jrs. Ordered a Hit Rod Deluxe IV instead. I have some smaller amps, and 3 gigging amps, but decided to get another big boy to break up the monotony this year. Itll be fun to have a change in tone and mix up some pedals.

17. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Ad Free Member

Pro

18. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

Great! You went with the exact opposite of what you posted a thread to get assistance with choosing! I'm glad we could be of some assistance. You're welcome! ;) :p

LuthRavin likes this.
  19. LuthRavin

LuthRavin Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

What Whatizitman said..^^ happy I didn't spend a thought on it..after reading some of the helpful posts

20. hombre de twang

hombre de twang TDPRI Member

If you like reverb on all the time i suggest the jr. Also, look for them on the used market. You can find one 400 or below all day.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.