Yellow Fender? Resistance Was Futile

Treynor

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
I...could...not...resist. Fender Player series Limited Edition. Ferarri Yellow. Ebony fretboard. Called my buddy at my favorite local GC yesterday, had him select the best of their in-stock, paid for it, and I will pick it up this weekend.

1651319870674.png

Chuckster

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
Wow... that is a stunner.

One of my dream guitars is a Graffiti Yellow Strat. As a kid, I drooled over a brand new late 70s Graffiti Yellow Strat in E. U. Wurlitzer in downtown Boston. It looked like a big gumball with strings.

Congrats!

Treynor

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter

One of my dream guitars is a Graffiti Yellow Strat. As a kid, I drooled over a brand new late 70s Graffiti Yellow Strat in E. U. Wurlitzer in downtown Boston. It looked like a big gumball with strings.

Congrats!
"Gumball with strings"...love it!

John C

Friend of Leo's
Congrats! There is one of these hanging on the wall at my local GC, alongside the red and green SSS models and they look really nice. They had one of the black ones with the matching headstock, chrome Tele knobs and chrome covered humbucker but I believe it sold already.

Congrats!

The color they had back then was called Monaco Yellow - I think it was a bit deeper but brighter than the Graffiti Yellow; I love the "gumball with strings" description.

MickM

Poster Extraordinaire
Platinum Supporter
In the early 90s my wife was buying me a guitar. The shop had a bright yellow Strat with std 3 singles that I was enamored with but she said "I know you and in 2 weeks you'll hate the color and won't play it out". I settled on a cream colored Gibson 335 with factory installed EMGs. It was the best guitar decision she ever made.EDIT: After posting, I remember seeing Sid McGinnis playing a very similar strat on the David Letterman show and thinking how cool it looked.

Last edited:

Treynor

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
Picked it up this afternoon and gave it a quick play. Surprisingly, the action is already where I like it, and the intonation is pretty good. Tomorrow morning I'll give it a day at the spa...new strings, oil the ebony fretboard and do my setup fine tuning.

Although only a short play, it sounded great straight into my Vox AC10. I'll update more after the spa treatment.
tempImageMQxt5B.png
tempImagePkJvqS.png
tempImageP0JmCW.png

JL_LI

Poster Extraordinaire
My wife was driving a 1970 Camaro that color with a black vinyl top when I met her. We got married in 1974. That feels like a lifetime ago. May you'll get that much time out of your guitar.

Last edited:

MickM

Poster Extraordinaire
Platinum Supporter
Picked it up this afternoon and gave it a quick play. Surprisingly, the action is already where I like it, and the intonation is pretty good. Tomorrow morning I'll give it a day at the spa...new strings, oil the ebony fretboard and do my setup fine tuning.

Although only a short play, it sounded great straight into my Vox AC10. I'll update more after the spa treatment. View attachment 978698 View attachment 978699 View attachment 978700
That's cool! I really need to play a strat with a 'bucker at the bridge. Is the tone wired to all 3 pickups and what model is the gold strat? I have an AO 50s gold one like that.

Treynor

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
That's cool! I really need to play a strat with a 'bucker at the bridge. Is the tone wired to all 3 pickups and what model is the gold strat? I have an AO 50s gold one like that.
Thanks! I typically prefer my Strats with the three single coils, but I have a few with buckers at the bridge...gives me a little extra bite with no 60 cycle hum. The middle and bridge pickups are connected to the bottom tone pot.

So you saw "Goldie"...my favorite Strat all time. It is a 60th Anniversary American Standard. She plays like butter, and the Fat 50's pickups that came in it sound amazing.

MickM

Poster Extraordinaire
Platinum Supporter
Thanks! I typically prefer my Strats with the three single coils, but I have a few with buckers at the bridge...gives me a little extra bite with no 60 cycle hum. The middle and bridge pickups are connected to the bottom tone pot.

So you saw "Goldie"...my favorite Strat all time. It is a 60th Anniversary American Standard. She plays like butter, and the Fat 50's pickups that came in it sound amazing.
Thanks, my gold strat came wired so that one tone control works on 2 of the pickups and one works on 1. I haven't played it for months and can't remember the exact setup but I think it's like yours.

2HBStrat

Friend of Leo's

Although only a short play, it sounded great straight into my Vox AC10. I'll update more after the spa treatment. View attachment 978698 View attachment 978699 View attachment 978700
That's a beauty!

widefault

Tele-Meister
One of the oddballs in my collection is a Japanese Fender Lead copy branded a Hondo, made by Tokai, in what they called Screaming Yellow.
mJgWYXv.jpg

They can call it whatever they want but it's Graffiti Yellow.

arlum

Tele-Afflicted
Platinum Supporter
Congratulations on your new guitar.

Up until I bought my Eric Johnson Stratocaster 15+ years ago my #1 Stratocaster was a Graffiti Yellow Powerhouse model with the onboard boost. When I'd played it at the store I loved the tone so much I bought it in spite of the finish. Then, over the coming years, I got one thumbs up after another on the color and grew to consider graffiti yellow a true favorite of mine.