1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Yeesh...craigslist stuff!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by graybeard65, Jan 12, 2020.

1. graybeard65

graybeard65 Tele-Meister

Saw what looked to be a decent, player Les Paul, priced at the upper edge of reasonable, but I thought there might be some wiggle room, and reached out.

“any mods?” I asked - it looked relatively stock. “No,” the seller replied, “none at all.”

My next question was if he had any pics of the back - “sure do” he said, and sent them. He also sent some better pics of the front - which were nice. First thing I notice is that the nut is notched between the G and B string, deeply so - and all six strings were really deeply embedded in the nut. “Stock nut?” I asked, since I’ve never seen one come from Gibson that way - “yep, it’s stock”

okay - stock maybe, but no way that was plek’ed like that.

the Craig’s pic showed stock buckers, but the detail pics had an uncovered zebra - “what pups are in that?” I inquired. “Oh, there’s a Gibson zebra in the neck, and a JB in the bridge.”

(ah. So not “stock”, I’m thinking)

and the detail pics have top hat knobs, but the ad pics were clearly speed knobs. “Which set are you including?” I asked - “oh, I’ll sell it with both.”

the selector switch was changed too - but I said nothing.

“is the wiring stock?” I wanted to know...”yep, it’s got the Peter Green out-of-phase in the middle position. I’ll send you a pic.”

Nothing stock under the hood either - it’s all rewired and not very pretty - some of it I didn’t even recognize.

Genuinely a pretty guitar, and I thought it had a TON of potential - but man, when a guy tells you repeatedly that it’s stock, and really, the tuners and bridge are the only parts that haven’t (maybe) been swapped or modded...that’s not cool.

not my thing to challenge or correct a seller - but I think that if I make him an offer, it’ll be much less than he’s asking.

nojazzhere and Fretting out like this.
  2. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

CL and FB are what they are, I have found deals and I've seen gear that I walked away from, or got for much less because it wasn't as described.
    Some folks just don't know, some are dishonest, or just don't care.
    It's ALWAYS best to look carefully at the gear in person.

3. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

It’s the ol “it’s all original except.....”
    Yeah then it’s not “ALL” original

nojazzhere likes this.
  4. lowatter

lowatter Tele-Meister

CL can be a blessing or a curse. Choose wisely my friend and always meet in a parking lot with cameras. JMHOYMMV ;)

Obsessed likes this.
  5. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

Was there any dirty laundry or trash in the background of the photos? That's essential to getting the best CL deal.

6. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

It's simply the old "Stock doesn't mean what you think it means......" No biggie. ;)

7. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

graybeard, good eye and BS detector! Hope you can strike a bargain for the LP... most others won't know, and will pay too much for it.

Reminds me, I have new material for this... :D:eek:

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/dirty-clothes-in-craigslist-pics.776811/

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.