Yeah.........rrrrrrriiiiiiiight ;-)

G.Rotten

Friend of Leo's
Screenshot_20211206-181946.png

Screenshot_20211206-182037-294.png

Spotted this ad today. I've seen cracks like that before. Trust me, it dooooo affect playability.
DSCN0352.JPG

lowatter

Tele-Holic
Make a cheap offer on it and if you get it, Titebond original glue it after cleaning the neck heel and then, Bob's your uncle.
I wouldn't discount repairing it and it could be a decent player again but won't be worth anything near what it once was originally.

G.Rotten

Friend of Leo's
Make a cheap offer on it and if you get it, Titebond original glue it after cleaning the neck heel and then, Bob's your uncle.
I wouldn't discount repairing it and it could be a decent player again but won't be worth anything near what it once was originally.
Nah.... I'm good. I have the busted one in the picture as well as a non busted one.

The broken one I bought broken planning to fix, but it had already been broken and repaired once before. The more I looked at it the less I felt a repair would be successful.

The first owner had the strap come off the button and the headstock hit the floor. There was no damage to the headstock at all because the tuners took the hit. The owner had it repaired but one night at a gig the guitar just folded in half. I bought the damaged guitar with hard shell case & a new set of tuners for $300 CAD which I figured was essentially the cost of a case, pickups and hardware.

It's a terrible design. IMO there just isn't a lot to work with here.

I just think it's funny that's it's supposed to be no big deal.

Last edited:

ejphotos

Tele-Holic
What does the rest of the guitar look like? That might have been my first electric guitar. 99-00 Les Paul Special DC lite with P100s and mini Trapezoid inlays

G.Rotten

Friend of Leo's
What does the rest of the guitar look like? That might have been my first electric guitar. 99-00 Les Paul Special DC lite with P100s and mini Trapezoid inlays
Its in the GTA Ontario. It really looks mint other than this massive massive issue. I suspect and hope it's more than stress cracks. If it's stress cracks just from string pressure then one day it'll likely just fold in half. If it's from a good knock then maybe there's still another good knock left in it before it folds.
Screenshot (1).png

It could possibly be stress cracks from laying in the case without support under the body at the neck joint.

Last edited:

Tele-friend

Tele-Holic
Its in the GTA Ontario. It really looks mint other than this massive massive issue. I suspect and hope it's more than stress cracks. If it's stress cracks just from string pressure then one day it'll likely just fold in half. If it's from a good knock then maybe there's still another good knock left in it before it folds.
View attachment 926589

It could possibly be stress cracks from laying in the case without support under the body at the neck joint.
It is a ticking time bomb which can explode any time in future...

Tonetele

Poster Extraordinaire
I'd get it and the period correct parts and have it repaired. See twoodfrd on Youtube ( Canada) and that will give you a guide as to what a good luthier can do. It's fixable .

erratick

Tele-Holic
I'd get it and the period correct parts and have it repaired. See twoodfrd on Youtube ( Canada) and that will give you a guide as to what a good luthier can do. It's fixable .

He's near that axe- both in Canada. Fixable does not mean worth it though.

But also in our very own TDPRI DIY channels:
https://www.tdpri.com/categories/the-diy-channel.45/

You'll find people who make and repair all kinds of things. Believe it or not, some creations and repairs more amazing than twoodfrd (who I find relaxing, and talented).

Tonetele

Poster Extraordinaire
Ted Woodford is relaxing to watch and listen to but I like how he shows what's a mess but can be rebuilt and re-enforced ( e.g. his splines in neck breaks).
I'm sur there are plenty out there who can do this but his step by step easy does it , yet exacting, methods of repair are good if you're taking on a job such as shown in the above photo.
He's also honest about cost and time needed as to the value of some repairs. Not snobby about cheap guitars and understands emotional value of keeping an instrument.

Cheap Trills

Tele-Afflicted
Glue and 4 bolts. you can even use a Fender neck plate to get the point across.

ejphotos

Tele-Holic
View attachment 926589

Same model but not my exact guitar. I put gold hardware on mine. Sold it in 2005. Last year it randomly popped up for sale again but the seller was asking too much.

marshman

Poster Extraordinaire
I kinda feel like the phrase 'stress cracks' is actually the definition of 'about to break'. Finish checking is a totally different story.

dogmeat

Friend of Leo's
I'm really tempted to but I'm sure the seller is aware of the severity and I'm not interested in some kind of pissing match.

I wouldn't make it a contest.... maybe the guy really just doesn't know. I would simply say, "here's what is probably going on".... and thats the last of it