1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Yeah I'm bored, but not *that* bored... (ordering parts mini-rant)

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by King Fan, Apr 3, 2020.

1. kbold

kbold Friend of Leo's

I know I've got a baggie of that value ....... somewhere ....... I search but cannot find.
    So I order some more. I find them after purchase.

2. Nickfl

Nickfl Friend of Leo's

Well, you said it... Seriously though, when you said something in your initial post about expensive caps with short or bent leads, my first thought was "what's the problem there?". You should really consider doing a true point to layout for your next build, that will probably cure you of a lot of the finicky, OCD stuff that is more about looks than practicality.

Also did you imply that $0.15 resistors are cheap! :eek:. Get yourself over to Tayda and buy them for 1/10 that price. That place makes it really easy to justify stocking up on a lifetime supply (ok, really more like a year worth maybe) of common resistor values. Everything you could want in carbon film or metal film up to 1 watt, though their selection starts to thin out as you go to higher wattage ratings unfortunately.

I like their pots too and it's a game changer to have a stock of common values of those as well. Some people may not like them because they are mini pots but I figure if they're reliable enough to be used in pedals... I wish they carried more high voltage parts like caps, but you can at least solve having to worry about counting your resistors and potentially potentiometers as well by spending $50 at Tayda every year or so.

One of the ways to start realizing the benefits of being less finicky is when you discover the joys of buying those parts from an Asian bulk dealer instead of a "reputable" US based source :). Price and convenience aside, I've found that Tayda's resistors at least seem to be a very high quality and always within spec.

King Fan likes this.
  3. sds1

sds1 Tele-Afflicted

Tayda is awesome, oddly cheap shipping fast and direct from Bangkok.

Another pedal-centric retailer I like to pillage every so often is Small Bear Electronics.

King Fan likes this.
  4. King Fan

King Fan Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Happy this discussion lives on -- every amp builder can relate in some way.

I like what you say, guys. And if you're a lifetime builder, or a builder or repairman in business, or a starving student, cheap is beautiful and beauty is cheap.

But except for true artists (and there are some here), or in a simple amp like a GA-5, I see PTP *for me* as a lot of work for a messy result that's harder to mod or even service. Building one amp every few years, the hassle (mentioned earlier) of storing and sorting and labeling and hunting through 'spare' parts is only rewarding for things like 68Ks or 1Ms. I have no need for 20 or 100 of most resistors; a few boutique caps may easily be paid for by trying to skip a single shipping charge somewhere in the build; I may be the only guy who looks inside my amps, but I like to enjoy what I see in there.

Neat and nice and elegant cost nothing but time, and my whole purpose in building an amp (which after all I don't *really* need) is to have fun, not save a little money.

But before you decide I'm just being extravagant and impractical, let's go down to the basement and check out my bins, boxes, and drawers of 'extra' amp parts. :D

BobSmith, James Knox and EmWeAh like this.
  5. James Knox

James Knox Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Great thread KF. Did not se it the first time around (wasn’t here yet). Glad it got resurrected :)

King Fan likes this.
  6. juliusaurus

juliusaurus TDPRI Member

The last 4 months, been cleaning up my inventories of junk and parts, so far, four single end guitar tube amp has been completed, yes four amps, yet, somehow, I end up buying extra PT and OT... ah well, lets build another amp... ;)

Lowerleftcoast and King Fan like this.
  7. King Fan

King Fan Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Aha, you've hit on the true advantage of a big parts stash.

"But honey, I need to build another $1000 amp to use up my extra 15-cent resistors and $1.50 capacitors..."

8. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

If you live in Tokyo you can go here:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

juliusaurus and King Fan like this.
  9. BobSmith

BobSmith Tele-Meister

Back in the day, Akihabara was THE place to go for a component safari. I went to a university in walking distance, and made many trips there for class projects. Unfortunately much has changed, especially in the last 15 years. Not the same. Now it’s a trendy hangout for teens and preteens. Sad.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.