Yeah...I’m sticking with multi-effects

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by naveed211, Oct 11, 2021.

1. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Wasn't that a tear I saw, in the corner of your eye, as you ponied up for a backup 50, and sold off all your pedals?

I swear I did, I heard you cry, you'll miss them soon, tears in your eye.

naveed211 likes this.
  2. tfarny

tfarny Poster Extraordinaire

One patch cable failing is enough to send pedalboard-dependent guitarists into a tailspin of trial and error mucking about - on a stage with an audience waiting? No thanks.

I'm not dependent on effects at all actually. They are just fun flavors. I'm playing pretty basic, elemental stuff, just trying to do it well. And I sing, so I keep the pedal dancing simple as possible.
    If my little board were to fail I would just plug in direct, turn up the amp a bit and turn down my guitar volume, then ride it for soloing. I often play that way anyhow.

3. naveed211

naveed211 Friend of Leo's

Sometimes I like engaging you just to see what you’ll respond with. You talk good, mister.

I’ll say this. In a band mix with my humble Quilter 101 and Boss multi effects, I sound as good as I ever have for the style I do. And I’ve had a lot of sexy boutique stuff in my day.

If I start playing middle aged bar band white guy blues, I’ll spring for the Klon and all-analog baller board.

Actually, funny enough my biggest board by far was when I was in worship bands. You really gotta keep up with the joneses in the church scene!

4. telemnemonics

I seldom admit it in these sort of playful discussions, but I long for a gig bag size rig and carry cash for the day my local GC has a Quilter Superblock UK under two hundred bucks.
    Given how much of my sound now comes from SS pedals into my hand wired tube amp, it's only a matter of when, not IF, I shift.
    (Playful, playful, not serious! And no blooze here!)

Consider though that in our OP you said you were choosing "practicality and ease over the coolness of a sweet pedal board".
    Tell me there were no tears shed there!

5. drumtime

drumtime Tele-Afflicted

Between the drive channels on my amps and an old Digitech RP500, I can get all of the sounds I want, and get them to sound good. Stacking drives yields some very nice tones that you don't get with any of them by themselves. I start with a decent, low gain one on the Digitech, and then I can add whatever the amp has. Works for me.

I don't like all of the sounds in the RP - how could that even be possible? But I can dial in a very nice version of the 12 or so effects I might use, , and I still have around 100 others I can screw around with if I want to.

For a gig, I take a little Sonicake Twiggy that has 5 basic effects in a very small unit for a backup, but I've never needed it except to loan to another player.

Not that I'm not fascinated and tempted by the allure of individual pedals, but I think I'm better off not going there.

6. naveed211

Just sell cool gear at a loss enough over your lifetime and you get numb to it until you finally wise up. No tears shed, just deep regret followed by eventual lessons learned.

I share your admitted longing for the streamlined rig. If we had a decent PA at our space, I would probably go for the Superblock rig. But as it goes, this is as streamlined as I go, which is pretty damn streamlined.

Again, it’s not sexy or cool. Everybody liked Daphne, but don’t tell me there wasn’t something going on there with Velma.

davidchagrin and telemnemonics like this.
  7. telemnemonics

I've been tempted by the Tech 21 fly rigs too and saw one used at GC the other day, unbelievably small.
    When Quilter finally made a Marshall style but gave it less power than the Interblock, AND chose two similar Vox but only one Marshall and a later version, I felt like they didn't want my business. Me and others like me who are similar to the cave men who buy Fender Tone Masters. Where is the pedal size 50w Marshall?

Some of my searching new solutions relates to a looper rig and I bought an Alto powered speaker for drum machine, can run both looper and drum machine into the speaker if using one of my other Tech 21 character style pedals.
    Too many parts for my brain though, and similarly my ADHD makes scrolling through menu's counter intuitive.

What cab do you lug with the Quilter or is it a combo?

In the end the music trumps the gear, but if I'm struggling to grok the gear, the music suffers.
    I'm 2/3 deaf too so might be time to take up golf???

Daphne and Velma, too fast...

8. naveed211

A Stage Right/Monoprice 112 cab with Vintage 30.

30 pounds, $190, and again, competes favorably with even the fancy pants cabs I used to buy.

davidchagrin and telemnemonics like this.
  9. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

I keep it pretty simple as well. No more than 5 pedals (3 fuzzes, comp, wildcard). Tbh I’ve never had a patch cable fail on me, I’m not sure how they’d get stressed like that (they stay put). Pedals yeah, plenty of times - this is why I prefer true bypass, not for any tonal reasons, but failure.

SRHmusic and teletail like this.
  10. loopfinding

yeah most boss drives are analog, including the BD-2. it was just the weirdo feedbacker RI, and some a couple OD ones they did in recent history.

I don't deny that you can get the exact BD-2 tone out of the ME-50. The diode clipper ODs are fairly easy to simulate with a hyperbolic tangent transfer function (like ableton's saturator, most saturation things in digital land). Saturation and compressor simulations are very good DSP wise these days. No hesitation to use them for subtlety.

But for me a lot of times I like the caveman stuff - transistor drives, amp drive, octave fuzzes, etc. Where the thing freaks out a little bit. That type of nonlinear behavior is still a bit hard to replicate in digital. Same reason why I don't like digital filters in synth land (or I guess here in guitar land, wah wahs). Phase shifters as well (but not chorus, flanger, etc. those are fine). They just don't act weird and chaotic and can't be pushed.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2021
    SRHmusic, naveed211 and kLyon like this.
  11. teletail

teletail Friend of Leo's

+1

I don’t know who is having all these failures. I’ve never had a failure at a gig and only a couple of user error issues in practice. I played with a guitarist that had one of the most complex rack systems and pedal boards I’ve ever seen and he had zero issues in 4 years.

Maybe it’s the same people who take their tube amps to the shop every week for maintenance. :D

SRHmusic and GreatDaneRock like this.
  12. 985plowboy

985plowboy Poster Extraordinaire

I had a me-50 years ago, but returned it.
    I remember it being nice, but I wanted something with XLR out.
    If I ever run across one I intend to snag it.

MilwMark likes this.
  13. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I've had two issues:

1. Sound stopped passing through my board at rehearsal. My chorus pedal (used like a leslie) had just gone "bad". So I bypassed it and kept going. 2. Intermittent. All sound would just stop. All lights going out on pedal. OK. Power supply. Turned out the power input "jack" was super finicky. If you pressed the plug in too hard, it would die. If you didn't press it hard enough, it would die. If it moved in the socket, it would die. Shop I got it from was great. Swapped for a new unit and said they'd handle the return/warranty. Happened with unit 2 as well. So they just gave me full credit to a different PS.

I figure either issue could have happened with a multi. I only use 3 effects plus tuner. I'd still rather have a multi but no one makes EXACTLY what I need (shocker:

- tuner
    - analog chorus that goes fast enough to do leslie sounds
    - analog mid forward OD
    - delay (don't really care - analog or digital fine)

If I found a unit exactly like that, I'd use a multi . . .There is a Valeton Dapper mini but the switches are SO close together and the chorus is not quite fast enough.

14. loopfinding

i've definitely had some pedal or amp failures live...but that's usually a pretty catastrophic/blatant thing and not needle in the haystack.

15. kLyon

kLyon Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

I played on that album!!

16. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nice! I bet that was a scene.

If you're into the punk at all, here's our latest album. Strictly local avocation. Big NOFX fans though which may or may not be apparent in our writing. https://floormodel.bandcamp.com/

Axegrinder77 and GreatDaneRock like this.
  17. Tom-Australia

Tom-Australia Tele-Meister

*Car breaks down*

"That's it, I'm buying a damn horse!"

18. teletail

teletail Friend of Leo's

Then my horse got sick so I just walk everywhere now.

19. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire

Dammit you beat me. And the exact song I would have posted.

“that’s me on the street with a violin under my chin, playing with a grin, singing gibberish”

MilwMark likes this.
  20. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I use a 4 or 5 pedal, pedal board, and every once in a while, right at the start of a gig...

( note: and it always turns out that either a mini cable or daisy-chain power cable was not making good contact- nothing has failed-except me!)

...my pedals don't work!

So, so as not to waste time, I will just bypass board, and plug guitar into Joyo American Sound > amp.

All good until I trouble shoot during a break.
    The American Sound always makes the gig!

mandofrog and clingin_on like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.