Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of Solid State...

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Ash Telecaster, Aug 24, 2021.

1. Ash Telecaster

Ash Telecaster Friend of Leo's

Funny you should say that, I was just watching some Cube videos!

I have the Waza Air. It is the most amazing guitar sound. They should be able to put that sound in an amp!

2. Jbnaxx

Jbnaxx Tele-Holic

I never understood why Roland quit making the larger cubes. I had a Cube 40 and let it get away. The 60/80 watt versions were built like a brick, loud, sounded good and priced reasonably.

cyclopean likes this.
  3. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

I just tried the 202 OD head and felt the same way. Every time they come up with the next evolution, I give it a shot. I just can’t hear what others are claiming to hear with Quilter. I just don’t think they sound good. Nowhere near my DV Mark.

I’m looking at new lightweight solution, just cause I’m bored, and a little nuts. I have a 1x12 cab that sounds fabulous and weighs 18 lbs. I’m thinking one of these to go with it might be the ticket, but it’s gonna have to wait. I’ve spent too much money on gear lately as it is.

https://www.victoryamps.com/v4-the-duchess-amplifier

4. Tim S

Tim S Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Thanks for that Victory info. (I learned something today) The specs tick all the boxes, but it *is* a little pricey.

5. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

I’ve learned to look at price as related to payout rather than cost to me. As in- What’s it worth to me to have that sound, those features, and that convenience factor? I don’t think it’s a bad price for a four tube pre with top notch build quality. Add in reverb, trem, and 180 watt power section and I don’t think it’s a bad deal at all. It’s also got a loop, and is the size of a personal pan pizza. It’s class D, so it’ll run at 4, 8, or 16 ohms without a care in the world, so cab choices are endless.

There’s a lot there for my money if I’m being honest with myself.

Ash Telecaster likes this.
  6. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I've got a Quilter SuperBlock US on back order that's supposed to come in around October 7. I'm hoping it becomes my light weight gig solution. The idea would be to run the XLR out to P.A. using the cab sim, and then use the speaker power to run a small cab that I can use as a personal monitor. As long as it delivers a good Fender-ish clean sound I can use it as a pedal platform. The videos sound great, so I am cautiously optimistic.
    We play lots of boomy, small spaces and minimizing stage volume is key to having a decent sound for us. No more getting the house volume directly out of the guitar amp itself. If I don't like it then I'll do what I have been doing-- using my MusicMaster bass amp, turned down low, miked with a Sennheiser to the P.A. I put a Red Fang 12" alnico speaker in the MusicMaster bass amp and it sounds, really, really good. I figure even if I don't love the Quilter for live gigs it can be a fantastic backup rig and also be good for direct recording.

Ash Telecaster likes this.
  7. Ash Telecaster

I had made a comment about the Waza Air and putting that tone into an amp.

It turns out that is an amp model from the Katana. So I guess I'm going to have to check that one out too.

8. Ash Telecaster

I'm coming to the conclusion that this journey into solid state has just made me appreciate my tube amps.

And it's not that the modeling side isn't great, dialed in right my Eleven Rack sounds great on recordings. But they aren't quite there as far as a stage amp goes. At least in my humble opinion.

I do believe digital/solid state will eventually take over. Its just a matter of time.

Jakedog and chris m. like this.
  9. cyclopean

cyclopean Poster Extraordinaire

The cube is a great amp. Not quite loud enough for live work, but it’s a perfect practice amp.

10. supersoldier71

supersoldier71 Tele-Holic

I love my Quilter OD200.

But if we all liked the same stuff, there wouldn’t be enough to go around.

I play it through a closed back Guitar Cabinets Direct 112 with a generic Eminence speaker. When I first got it, I was unsure of the speaker’s power handling, and found the 50W setting for swallowed at a rehearsal. The 100W setting doesn’t.

11. Tiago

Tiago TDPRI Member

Well, the other day I replied to someone on how my HX Stomp and a power amp pedal were my backup solution/light weight gear option.
    Then last week, I walked into my music store, chatted for a bit and took home a H&K AmpMan Classic to do a test drive.
    Well, the Stomp went to its new owner today, and I’m in love with that thing. The vintage channel is nothing short of awesome with the sag control, and I’ve paired it with a reverb pedal and my trusty old Blues Driver in a tiny Metro 16 board. Perfect for home, perfect for when my OR15 gives up the ghost on stage.
    The thing that sold me on it is that it is just so easy to dial in a good tone. I guess less is more…

12. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Afflicted

I was really curious about the Quilter line of small, portable amp heads as well. That is, until a good friend of mine sat in with us on a gig with his little Quilter and a 1x12 cab. I was not impressed at all. In fact it sounded lifeless and boring to me. It made me appreciate my old 80's Peavey Special 130 amps even more. So, no more looking...I'll keep playing what I already have and know.

Ash Telecaster and Jakedog like this.
  13. jellodog

jellodog TDPRI Member

Which model was it? They're not all the same and have really progressed recently.

The Superblock US is really good... or perhaps it was that model and you weren't convinced regardless?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.