Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of Solid State...

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Ash Telecaster, Aug 24, 2021.

1. Crobbins

Crobbins Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Right on. I've wanting a Quilter Steele Air for a while now.

Ash Telecaster likes this.
  2. Crobbins

Crobbins Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

3. Tele-beeb

Tele-beeb Friend of Leo's

off ;)

4. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Enlightenment?

[​IMG]

PhredE, Tele-beeb and Ash Telecaster like this.
  5. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

I've been playing an original 101 mini for a few years. As good as the Quilter blocks are, they're single channel amps. My approach has been to work up a clean sound I like and use pedals for dirt. I've had success with Zendrive, Machine Head 98.6 Degrees, Blues Breaker v1, klon clone, and various Boss pedals. I also work the guitar's volume and tone controls which really expands what I can get out of it.

Anyway, congrats on the new amp!

PhredE, Crobbins and Ash Telecaster like this.
  6. Ash Telecaster

Ash Telecaster Friend of Leo's

Yup, that looks cool!

I got the amp but haven't had time to play with it much yet. I can say for sure that it is loud enough. My first impression is that it will take some getting used to but I'm not worried, a little knob twisting and it already sounds pretty good.

Crobbins and Edgar Allan Presley like this.
  7. Ash Telecaster

I had three choices for front ends to this amp, a compact 5 pedal board, a Pod Go, and a Nux Cerberus. Since light and portable is the theme, I went with the Cerberus.

For those who don't know the Cerberus is a fly rig with analog OD and distortion that are very good.

The guitar is a dual humbucker Ibanez I mentioned in the original post. Light as a feather but plays and sounds great.

I had to play with the settings a bit but it didn't take long to get it right. I went with the vint setting, tweaked the treble up a tad and the bass down a tad, then added in some limiter and now it sounds and feels great.

Initially I left the limiter off but found that the sound was kind of.... I don't know, hard edged, for lack of a better term, but the limiter fixed that up nicely. I have it set at 50% at the moment. Most demo's I've seen use the limiter around 25% but for me 50% was the ticket.

The on board verb is great but I'm leaving that off as the Cerberus has verb which is foot switchable so I'm using that.

One of the things I was worried about was flashlighting but I didn't have a problem with that at all. I liked it best with the cab on the floor and didn't notice any significant drop out or roll off as I moved around the room.

So for me, this has been a big win. In fact it far exceeded my expectations so I am very happy.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2021
  8. Ash Telecaster

The story continues.

Innitially I was super happy because the Amp is 24lbs, loud, with no flashlight effect.

After a bit I started to be bothered by a couple things. First there was a mid range tone that was ever present and couldn't be eq'ed out.

Secondly, you just can't get Fender chime out of it. It's a naturally dark amp. You can do some knob twisting but the settings end up pretty extreme and the highs were harsh and still washed out. Like there is a high freq shelf that it just won't do.

I really don't want to return it because it really is very powerful while being light and compact.

So rather than giving up I decided to try the Pod Go.

At first I was profoundly disappointed. I found the frfr mode pretty unusable.

But I found a solution, or it looks like a solution at this point.

I turned off the cab emulation on the Pod Go and set the 202 input to vintage. Then I set the limiter to 0.

That made a positive difference.

The last piece was to put the 10 band EQ at the end of the Pod Go chain which I set to always on. I tweaked it to get as close as possible to the headphone sound.

This is what I have come up with...

Starting with all bands set to zero, then...

125hz to - 4 db
    250hz to - 7.6 db
    500hz to - 4db
    4khz to - 7.8 db

I set this using a Vibrolux model. Does it sound like a real Fender amp? No. But it sounds decent.

I also tried this formula on a Blues breaker model and the result was pretty good. More testing to come.

At this point I'm hopeful but I'm also eyeballing the Line 6 Power cab. A little larger, a little heavier, but sounds promising. Also the Tone master Twin is plug and play great. It's a big box but light weight. I'll keep working on the Quilter as I really want it to work but I am ready to make a change if things pan out that way.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2021
  9. Alex_C

Alex_C Tele-Holic

I hope the quilter works for you.
    If it doesn't, a Laney L5 Studio is very light, all tube tone, emulated speaker out (XLR or 1/4"), built-in load, USB audio interface, re-amping, two channel and most importantly it sounds spectacular.

10. Ash Telecaster

Wow, that sounds fantastic!

I just made a startling discovery with the Quilter. Apparently I was using a bad cable. It wasn't dead but it definitely had a bad effect on the tone! I used a different cable and, well, now its back to the drawing board!

At least I got some practice configuring the Pod Go.

11. popthree

popthree Poster Extraordinaire

Are you saying you loved a fender tonemaster twin but it was too big, and if they made a 1x12 version you'd have bought it?

They do make a deluxe tonemaster.

12. Ash Telecaster

I was concerned about the wattage and they didn't have one to test drive.

Jakedog likes this.
  13. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

Goodbye Twin
    [​IMG]

Hello Katana
    [​IMG]

Frodebro, Bobbyoso and Ash Telecaster like this.
  14. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

The wattage is actually much higher. The wattage they state on the Tonemasters is intended to relate back to their tube counterparts. So the TMDR is just as loud as a tube DR. It takes more SS watts for that to hsppen.

15. Ash Telecaster

I gave up on the Quilter TB 202 and sent it back.

I wanted it to work out and I tried hard to make it work but at the end of the day it just didn't have a high frequency response that I could live with.

I tried different speakers. Its the amp. Its just a dark amp and doesn't have a lot of high frequency capability so it will work for some people but just not for me.

16. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Did you try running an EQ such as a GE-7 into it?

17. Ash Telecaster

No, not a bad idea but don't have an EQ on hand. What I did instead was to run a Pod Go into it. Then eq'ed it to get as close as possible to the desired result.

At the end of the day I felt it took way too much effort to simply get close to what I considered an acceptable sound. And that sound wasn't something I was all that excited about.

Jakedog likes this.
  18. popthree

popthree Poster Extraordinaire

i still think you should try a TMDR, partly because i think it may solve your problem, and partly because i kinda want one too

19. Ash Telecaster

I definitely plan on Checking one out!

My only concern is volume as I play in some situations that get pretty loud. Hopefully it will get loud enough.

Telecastoff1 likes this.
  20. Tele T

Tele T Tele-Meister

Enlightenment...a Roland Cube is all you need...:cool:

cyclopean and Ash Telecaster like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.