Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of Solid State...

Ash Telecaster

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Hey all,

Once upon a time I bought a modeller pedal. It was top of the line at the time. I enjoyed playing with it and all the stuff it could do was cool but at the end of the day it just wasn't me.

Fast forward to today and I am slogging all this gear to an open air show at the Zoo. The August heat, a 6 hour commitment, upbeat music, working the audience....then hauling that stuff all the way to the car...

I was toast.

I need a light weight solution. At least for gigs like this. I don't plan on tossing my beloved tube amps but I need a lighter setup.

So this is what I have done...

I bought a Quilter Toneblock 202 and the Blockdock CB12. Its in the mail. I'm hoping I won't hate it.

I also picked up an Ibanez S Series guitar. It was on the island of forgotten guitars at GC. It looked so sad and forlorn like an abandoned puppy, I couldn't resist. I cleaned it up, new strings, and I'm actually loving it! It must weight about 5lbs and plays good and sounds great.

Now I just need to figure out what to put in between, pedals, a Pod Go, a fly rig...etc.

The thing that really got me thinking of solid state was demoing a Master Series Twin with a Walrus Ages in front of it and it sounded absolutely killer. I would have bought it if the amp box wasn't so big. If they had a 1 channel version, same wattage, 1x12, it would have gone home with me.

I'm hoping the Quilter stuff will be good... maybe I'll even like it, maybe, just maybe, I will even love it! Stranger things have happened.

Danb541

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
321087-9506077f8ef9bc9f1e3bd5b1daa9a943.jpg

11 Gauge

Doctor of Teleocity
I feel your pain. I don't currently have anything in the sort of gigging commitments like you do, but I still started seriously looking at portable, low-maintenance amp options starting back in '18/'19, after getting a Quilter 101 Mini back in '17 (roughly the year that I really even considered experimenting around with an SS amp to be used outside of the house).

Well, for me, the whole portable gig thing has a lot to do with my spine and joint issues, even far beyond just having something that's easy and convenient to set up and tear down.

...The Quilter 101 Mini has been an overall positive experience for me. It ultimately didn't make the cut for me because I found it to personally be limiting due to its unorthodox EQ controls (mine's the older non-reverb model). That said, the latest Quilter stuff, especially the SuperBlock, has really piqued my interest.

Good luck with your new rig!

Edgar Allan Presley

Friend of Leo's
I hope it works out for you. My light and portable amp setup right now: Milkman The Amp 50 and Vintage 47 1x12 cabinet with Weber speaker. I had a Quilter Pro Block and liked it a lot, but I traded it off when I got the Milkman amp because it better suited what I'm up to. I wouldn't hesitate to get a Quilter amp again if the need arises.

shopping

c545b681249d6d5ae1e1d93ec35a79ab_640x480.41994750656.jpeg

Ash Telecaster

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I hope it works out for you. My light and portable amp setup right now: Milkman The Amp 50 and Vintage 47 1x12 cabinet with Weber speaker. I had a Quilter Pro Block and liked it a lot, but I traded it off when I got the Milkman amp because it better suited what I'm up to. I wouldn't hesitate to get a Quilter amp again if the need arises.

shopping

c545b681249d6d5ae1e1d93ec35a79ab_640x480.41994750656.jpeg

Neat! It even looks cool too!

Ash Telecaster

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I feel your pain. I don't currently have anything in the sort of gigging commitments like you do, but I still started seriously looking at portable, low-maintenance amp options starting back in '18/'19, after getting a Quilter 101 Mini back in '17 (roughly the year that I really even considered experimenting around with an SS amp to be used outside of the house).

Well, for me, the whole portable gig thing has a lot to do with my spine and joint issues, even far beyond just having something that's easy and convenient to set up and tear down.

...The Quilter 101 Mini has been an overall positive experience for me. It ultimately didn't make the cut for me because I found it to personally be limiting due to its unorthodox EQ controls (mine's the older non-reverb model). That said, the latest Quilter stuff, especially the SuperBlock, has really piqued my interest.

Good luck with your new rig!

Thanks, I'll report my findings after I get it.

Edgar Allan Presley

Friend of Leo's
I'm wondering what kind of dirt pedal is going to work best with the TB202.

As much as Quilter claims their amps are like tube amps, I found drive pedals behave a little differently in front of a Quilter than a tube amp. My tube amps are a little more forgiving than the input of my Quilter amp, and it would get a little too squashy if I didn't watch my pedal levels. If you get the amp and don't immediately find the sounds you want, keep fiddling. Give it some time because it behaves a little differently than what you might be used to.

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I feel your pain, I went with a Fralin VVT 1x15 combo a few years ago for my outdoor venue amp. Not too heavy and still holds 40w under the hood.

I also started paying my nephew to carry it. Every amp is super light when you can find somebody else to haul it around.

srblue5

Tele-Afflicted
I haven't tried one myself but I've heard great things about Quilter amps.

Solid state ain't what it used to be. And that's a good thing. I have an older Peavey Bandit that I use for my "larger" gigs (or if I don't know if my amp can even be mic'd) but I have a ZT Lunchbox for rehearsal and smaller jams and when I couple it with a Catalinbread Formula 55, it sounds tube-y to me.

bowman

Friend of Leo's
I have a few small SS things, though not Quilter, that I could do a gig with, either with a miced cab or through the PA. The technology is so good these days and the options are many. I have tube amps that I love, but I use an SS Fender Champion 100 with our band. Perfect for that situation: 100 watts, 2x12, fairly lightweight, 2 channels, big loud and clean sound. It has built in effects that I hardly use because I already have so many pedals. The amp sims on some pedals today are so good you'd never need the real thing - we live in amazing times for this stuff.

naveed211

Friend of Leo's
I went to a Quilter 101 into a 1x12 cab this year. I love it. It's killed my amp GAS, truly. It sounds great, practicality doesn't matter if it doesn't sound great, but it really does. Gobs of clean headroom, sits perfectly in a band mix, loud enough to keep up with the other guitarist's 50 watt tube amp.

And best of all...so very light and portable! I'm so done lugging around heavy amps.

Ash Telecaster

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
For my solid state amp, I went with a Roland Blues Cube Artist.

0yiDjl6.jpg

Looks nice and only 35lbs too. I've heard good things about them. The thing that drove me to the Quilter was 200 watts in a 24lbs package. There are some gigs where I need a lot of volume on stage. I couldn't really quantify solid state volume as related to wattage so I chose to err on the side of caution.