Ye Ol’ Record Shop

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Stringbanger, May 16, 2021.

1. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

Bring your experiences when you were first ventured out to THE record store world!

Pics Welcome!!!!!!

Check out this place in Columbia,PA. Check out the acoustic guitars in the windows! C3DD6003-2C62-4C93-95C2-4C7A4C85F773.png

Ronzo, Old Plank, JL_LI and 4 others like this.
  2. RobRiggs

RobRiggs Tele-Holic

Rasputin Records! A Bay Area institution. Used to practically live there as a teenager.
    894AF46A-2748-4CA0-93B6-1F4FE201D45C.jpeg

3. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

Wuxtry was my place in Atlanta growing up. Here in Austin it’s Breakaway and Waterloo.
    And an awesome dive in a beat down strip mall called Piranha Records, those guys are so nice.

4. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity

Carl's Drug Store, NY. I bought my very first record album The Beatles Hard Day's Night for $2.99 in 1964. I was 10 years old. My parents were furious that I spent my allowance on this. I had already been taking guitar lessons for four years. That album was stolen two years ago with other musical equipment. It started a trend though. I can't remember the name of the record store but I was in there constantly to buy 45rpms.

Stringbanger, Old Plank and Geo like this.
  5. Geo

Geo Poster Extraordinaire

Reminds me of Randy's, a local legend place in Gallatin TN. He had a huge worldwide mail order business for his inventory.
    This photo is from 1952.

[​IMG]

6. oldunc

oldunc Tele-Meister

In the SF Bay Area the possibilities were mind blowing back when record stores were THE source. One really unique source (still there far as I know) was Down Home Music, started by Arhoolie records founder Chris Strachwitz. Anything with roots- blues, folk, gospel, Tex Mex, whatever, they stocked an unbelievable variety of records, many of them very hard to find. Record shopping was so much more fun back when it involved wandering around in specialty shops seeing what you could find. It might take years to track down something particular, but so much more satisfying than just having Google or Amazon find it for you.

7. pmacaula

pmacaula Tele-Meister

Sam the Record Man at Yonge and Gould in Toronto. Through middle school and High school (late 70s, early 80s), would take the subway downtown, play at one of the video arcades nearby followed by a long browse at Sam’s. Learned about and bought the albums of lots of bands just from chatting with clerks and other customers.
    The guys in Barenaked Ladies, who are close to my age, sang about doing much the same thing (but by car, as they lived out in Scarborough) in their song “Brian Wilson”.
    We were spoiled. Have not seen broader or better selection before or since.
    https://images.app.goo.gl/Mj9oYz7tfJJhZzsT7

2groggy, Jared Purdy and Stringbanger like this.
  8. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

Do you remember the address ? I would like two go there and take a current photo to post here just for fun .

Stringbanger likes this.
  9. TeleBluesMan

TeleBluesMan Tele-Holic

Elizabeth, NJ
    [​IMG]

10. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

Abraham and Strauss, A&S, is no longer in business. It went the way of many department stores, bought out by Federated and dissolved a few years later. The record department was on the 4th floor of the Hempstead, NY store. I bought all my records there, 45’s for 66 cents. Albums were A, B, C, and D, coded for price. Mono cost about a dollar less so that’s what I bought. I bought Bobby Rydell and The Duprees, before moving on to The Beach Boys and The Ventures. Then the British Invasion made surf obsolete. More record buys followed to play over and over again trying to figure out the lyrics and chords. It’s funny that Chordie and Ultimate Guitar don’t seem to do much better than I did back in high school.

11. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Poster Extraordinaire

My first record shop was Columbia House. Living in the sticks it was the best way to buy albums.

12. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

It was a really nice day in March and I had the afternoon off. I drove straight to Breakaway Records and the door was locked. They came to the door and said "pickup of online orders only". I was pretty P-O'd because this was March, 2021 and every store was open and even restaurants were serving indoors. I immediately went home and ordered everything I came to get from TTL. FYI TTL is fantastic but I really wanted to shop at a local store. Should I still be mad? It's been 2 months.

Stringbanger likes this.
  13. sloppychops

sloppychops Tele-Holic

My first record store experience wasn't at a record store, it was at Two Guys, a low-end regional department store. I still remember the day that Lynrd Skynrd album with the flames on the cover came out. I think it was just days later that the plane crash happened.

Stringbanger likes this.
  14. Old Plank

Old Plank Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

The first I remember was also a 5 and 10 store, can't remember the name, on Main St in Sanford ME; and the first album I bought there with my own money was The Best of Herman's Hermits!

Stringbanger likes this.
  15. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Tele-Afflicted

Full Cyrkle in Crystal Lake, IL (my hometown) was active in the late 70s through the 80s. It was run by a guy named "Skip" who was nice, but also a bit like "Comicbook Store Guy". He had a lot of imports and hard to find stuff, especially for a small town 50 miles from Chicago. He took a lot of heat because he had a small head shop in the back.

[​IMG]

"Skip" circa 1980

[​IMG]

16. TeleBluesMan

TeleBluesMan Tele-Holic

Yesterday & Today, Rockville, MD. Not my first record store, but the first one I shopped that had a great selection of imports. Owned by the late Skip Groff, who used to travel to England to get the latest releases:
    upload_2021-5-16_22-52-55.jpeg

Stringbanger and Ed Driscoll like this.
  17. AlfaNovember

AlfaNovember TDPRI Member

'Twasn't the first, but the best was unquestionably Village Music, in Mill Valley, CA. The music ephemera & autograph collection on the walls was beyond belief. I miss that shop so much.

[​IMG]

18. 4wotitswurth

4wotitswurth Tele-Meister

Hamilton Square, Birkenhead, fond memories, wish I had a photo, long gone I’m sure…. All my Hendrix and CSNY LPs bought there… also long gone….

Stringbanger likes this.
  19. Ed Driscoll

Ed Driscoll Tele-Afflicted

Fond memories of buying my first Beatles Records -- and the classic LP-sized book, The Beatles: An Illustrated Record at Peaches in Cherry Hill, around 1977 or so. I remember the clerk telling me to stick with the British albums, as they were sequenced the way the Beatles and George Martin had intended. (Excellent advice.) Also great memories of shopping in Tower Records in Philadelphia and NYC in the late '80s and the Cherry Hill Tower Records in the 1990s. I also remember a record store in Willingboro, NJ in the early 1980s that had loads of great import LPs of Cream, Hendrix, and early John McLaughlin.

Then there was a small shop in Medford in the mid-1980s that had a great collection of early import CDs. That was the only place I knew of in my (then) area that had George Harrison's All Things Must Pass on CD.

I love Amazon music, and having my entire CD collection available at the press of a button, and everywhere I go. But I do miss exploring record stores for physical product. (Not to mention an album size large enough to inspire cool album covers.)

Last edited: May 17, 2021
    Stringbanger likes this.
  20. slauson slim

slauson slim Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Bought my first 45 here, The Drifters There Goes My Baby. On South Broadway in South Central LA.

D16D0794-117A-422C-B75B-5BAD368779B3.jpeg

Stringbanger and Ed Driscoll like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.