Yardbirds Live Video digitally polished up! Telecaster Power

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Irondog, May 27, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Irondog

Irondog Tele-Meister

Once a year I go back and watch a lot of the live Yardbirds films on YouTube.
    I found this gem 2 guys worked really hard to polish up the video and polish up the audio portion.

No doubt many have seen this before but this is looking really clean.

You can see Jimmy Pages 59 telecaster gifted from Jeff Beck.

It looks like they used it as a sledgehammer, then Dug some ditches, I think I could dig some ditches with the telecaster. then decided to use it as a guitar to power a supergroup. Page's solo gets a little bit crazy he's bending slightly hard, out of tune but the stereo aligns EQ a little bit better than the older version.

The telecaster is like a survival knife takes a beating stays sharp and deadly and powerful. Check it out you can see all the damage to the edges pick guard is beat to hell, Page and Beck played the hell out of that thing. you can see details of the guitar that you could not see on utube 10 years ago.

Congratulations to the restoration guys.

2. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Afflicted

Video looks great. I could be wrong, but that sounds like the studio recording.

Obsessed, Jim622, DonM and 2 others like this.
  3. Hatfield92

Hatfield92 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I agree. Likely a lip sync television performance. Standard operating procedure in that era. Even most of the Stones’ Sullivan performances, Mick sang live but the band pantomimed to a prerecorded track.

You can usually tell the live performances from that timeframe because they were almost always a distinctly different sound from the studio track.

Obsessed likes this.
  4. dogmeat

dogmeat Tele-Afflicted

yep... whats played isn't what is played (pretty sure that was Jeff's lead in there). but, I loved all iterations of the Yardbirds, they were a favorite of mine in the day and I LOVE Beck.

Obsessed and PhredE like this.
  5. 39martind18

39martind18 Tele-Afflicted

Imagine, if you will, the impression on a 16 year old (that day) noob guitarist! That young'un was me, October 28, 1966. So much to take in, so much I didn't know how to absorb and process then, but DAMN! That was a GREAT concert! Biggest impression? Jimmy Page bowing his guitar on "Over, Under, Sideways, Down."

Danb541, Irondog and The Angle like this.
  6. lasrup

lasrup TDPRI Member

A mimed recording .

DonM likes this.
  7. Irondog

Irondog Tele-Meister

I think this is the real audio on film. seems similar but indeed page's guitar is much more out of tune. On this very live version you can hear the kids screaming and talking. Now we will dance. but the video is more blurry.

8. Fenderdad1950

Fenderdad1950 Tele-Holic

Thanx, both recording were good to hear. I remember being a teen growing up smack dab in the middle of the British music invasion, being 12 yrs old in 1963. The Yardbirds caught the imagination of any new guitar player, especially one that had saved up all of his lawn cutting money from doing neighbors lawns up & down our street.
    Then I went down to Sears and got a Silvertone elec guitar & amp combo package. The music scene was pretty insane with new Brit R&R groups poppng up left & right. And as you see in my avatar pic, who would soon impress me the most. The news came over to the US, that Eric Clapton had vacated he group and handed over the lead guitar spot to some guy named Jeff Beck, who ????? Well I definately wanted to see what this newbie had to offer. For like eight months the Yardbirds tacked on, music hit after hit onto the radio airwaves. Then the WTF news popped up!
    My new favorite guitarist, just handed over the lead guitar position to a guy named Jimmy Page guy. Who????? No! This can't be happening! Though their only real hit was the song, Happenings, ten years time; which really didn't show up on records. I heard it first from a neighbor's kid who was going to the university, who somehow got ahold of it in a reel to reel recorder for. The song blew me away! Well I guess this Jimmy Page guy is all right.
    It's amazing how near-sighted record producers were, in thinking a song doesn't teally fit their image of what 'their" group should present to the listening public. Stymied by corporate, the group would flounder with the band members; not understanding what was in their new lead guitarist's head musically. One by the band members dropped out, leaving the lead guitarist with a group's name, that included several top ten music hits.
    Little did fans know, the new resurrection of the Yardbirds, tagged with a very strange name; would emerge upon the music scene, like a T-Rex coming out of the music jungle. The young T-Rex bellowed out it's song Comunication Breakdown and R&R music scene would never be the same.

9. Jerry J

Jerry J Friend of Leo's

Well said

10. CWP0126

CWP0126 Tele-Meister

This is a phenomenal version of I’m a Man. Footage looks like it might be part of the same show. Bonus - it appears Jimmy is playing without an A string!

Edit: The video won’t play directly through TDPRI, but if you click the link it should take you to it on YouTube. Otherwise copy the link and paste in your browser and you will get there. Good stuff!

Last edited: May 29, 2020
    Irondog and TokyoPortrait like this.
  11. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

That Over Under... is great. Really cool.

no doubt the Beck iteration of the Yardbirds was the greatest but Page held his own on the material that wasn’t his.

PhredE likes this.
  12. ChubbyFingers

ChubbyFingers Tele-Holic

From the late 60s to the early 90s the BBC ran a half-hour show every Thursday evening called "Top of the Pops". Recorded in a converted church in Manchester, half a dozen or so acts would be lined up to MIME their latest hit while a selected gaggle of mostly young ladies showed they couldn't dance. You could tell they were miming because (a) the performances sounded EXACTLY like the records, (b) no cables from the guitars in the days before radio links, (c) microphones (cigar tubes really) with just six inches of cord coming out of them.

Nobody will admit what happened but the band "All About Eve" had their careers ruined when someone didn't roll the audio tape:

13. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

It is the original studio recording. MixerRog is a member of the Both Sides Now discussion board, a board dedicated to stereo. He's one of the better people at using software tools to digitally extract individual parts from old mono only recordings to create new stereo. Smurftools finds old video footage of these bands and synchronizes the audio tracks to them. He's very good, too.

14. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Has to be. Jeff beck played that solo and that is dead on balls accurate note for note of the studio r3cording.

15. Hey_you

Hey_you Tele-Meister

I got some screenshots. Edited brightness/contrast a bit to bring the image a bit cleaner.
    2.png 3.png 4.png

CWP0126 and Irondog like this.
  16. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Tele-Afflicted

Hi.

My friend just sent me this.

Tangentially related. Both ‘Jims’ on guitar apparently.

Pax/
    Dean

CWP0126 and JJAdams1956 like this.
  17. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Afflicted

I'm a huge Yardbirds fan, thanks for posting!

Funny seeing Jimmy with the violin bow and noticing that the "A" string was missing.

CWP0126 likes this.
  18. Mur

Mur Tele-Afflicted

The music and singing is kinda tame ..folk-rock style.

19. CWP0126

CWP0126 Tele-Meister

Big Jim and Little Jim?

20. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Tele-Afflicted

Hi.

Yep.

Pax/
    Dean

CWP0126 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.