Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by bkdaaa, Feb 21, 2016.
So the tropical fish caps don't belong either? Good to know.
V2 Packard Bell
that appears to be a two prong plug too!Should that be changed out to a three prong.I can't see if the plug is polarized.( wide prong )
You are correct it's on my list to do!
I have a late 1967 drip-edge and it has one or two tropical fish caps in it, as well as the red ended black dual 25/25 bypass caps. Those are original for that era. Your bias cap and one bypass cap have been replaced, which is good other than the radial caps splayed out like that always look weird.
Great score, and even if the speaker is blown it has the original wire and F cap plug. Worth having dug through the trash for it.
I'd dive into a dumpster behind a bad Chinese restaurant on a hot day just to get that original F cap plug !
(try one of the new ones and you'll see why)
Post pictures of the power transformer sides. Might be able to spot a caged one that way.
I'd change all the electrolytics including the newer radial ones. Also the cap can if it still says Mallory.
75 bucks ? Are you kidding me ? If you have trouble sleeping at nights send it to me.
Great find, and should be a killer amp when you get it up and running, might not need to much to get there either.
I got a drip edge Deluxe Reverb for $50 many many years ago but it was so rough I thought I would just use it for parts. had to reglue and recover the cab, new grillcloth, missing speaker, and some electronic work. But I did get it up and running and used it for years.
It's fun and cool to get those old amps working.
The PT stamp and chassis stamp match as well as the parts number, but the wires are plastic coated. Guess I'll need to measure the windings.
Can the transformer casings be swapped? They all have plastic wires not fabric, but all the part numbers are correct.
This cap bothers me, when I do the three wire power mod I plan to bypass this switch and cap is that correct? I see no reason for it once the switch is removed.
The intensity pot was replaced, all the rest of the pots look original. The reverb pot part number is incorrect but the markings show 100k linear so functionally correct.
The reverb tank looks exactly like the one I saw on a you tube video about refurbishing a princeton. So either original or nos, it is a Webb 2 spring unit. The strap cleaned up good as new also.
The chassis straps are a tad rusty and one of the screws is bent. I'll probably just replace them.
I tested the speaker with a AA battery, got sound so I think I'll try it. It moves freely if gently pressed.
So I think my plan of attack is to unsolder all the xformers and measure the windings to verify them. Do a 3 wire power cord mod. Then follow the first light instructions at ruby amps mentioned earlier. Please advise if I am missing anything.