1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Yamaha THR10C or Fender Champ 20

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by Lef T, May 30, 2020.

1. Lef T

Lef T Tele-Holic

I want a small amp for my living room playing.
    Mostly all clean sounds with a little gain sometimes.
    I want some reverb and delay.
    I like the fact that with the THR10C,I can set my effects up via computer and then have 5 presets to choose from.
    The Champ 20 is relatively cheap.
    I don't think the 10C is still available so I would have to find one used.
    I don't need loud.
    I have a feeling the effects on the 10C would be of higher quality.
    Any input is welcome.

2. richiek65

richiek65 Friend of Leo's

I don't have any experience with the Champ, sorry.

My THR5 is not perfect, but pretty cool, i believe a THR5 is the same as a 10 but with a single tone control rather than the bass, mid and treble controls.

Cleans are beautiful, you can dial in some warm grit with the gain. Humbuckers and p90s see it run out of headroom fairly early on unless you dial your guitar volume back, single coils seem most suited here.

Switching to the dirtier amp models are (to me) slightly brittle and fizzy at first but still pretty good. The cleaner models aren't as loud as the dirtier ones (if you went from the cleanest to the dirtiest in one go, the volume jump will blow your head off!), but I guess Fender Twin amount of clean output is not what this practice amp is about.

The effects are really sweet, I'm amazed at the variety of tremolo sounds I can get from one knob, chorus is nice, flanger I don't really use, phaser is very MXR ish. Delay (tap tempo controlled) is top notch and the reverbs can be subtle or huge.

I keep my AC15 purely for gigs these days, the Yamaha is great for most applications at home. I've never plugged my pedal board into it, but my nephew came over last night and plugged his Boss Turbo Distortion into it, sounded great!

Hope this helps.

3. Lef T

Lef T Tele-Holic

That's good to hear.
    Most of my playing is clean.

richiek65 likes this.
  4. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I've got a Fender Champ 20. The biggest selling point is that it's dirt cheap. I paid $99 for mine. The sounds range from OK to decent, but I wouldn't be using it to lay down tracks on a recording or anything since I've got other amps and a pedalboard that will do everything the Champ can do but better. I bought it because I didn't have much money a couple years back and I was living in an apartment. As a low volume amp for just plugging in and jamming, sure, it's fine and fun.

IMO though the Yamaha is in a different class - better sounds, but triple the price of the Champ. I think it's the best mass production bedroom amp out there.

DHart, emisilly and Lef T like this.
  5. loco gringo

loco gringo Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

The Vox Adio Air GT is a good one, too. Andertons did a comparison video between it and the Yamaha and maybe one more.

Lef T likes this.
  6. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

Definitely the THR10C for the purpose noted!! Very tweakable with the software, as well, and I've recorded with mine.
    Given the new line that's now out, THR10Cs should be clearout priced and coming up used.

Honest Charley, emisilly and Lef T like this.
  7. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

THR10 for every reason :)

nicholaspaul, dented, DHart and 3 others like this.
  8. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire

The original THR10's clean setting is a very good Twin Reverb emulation and as such it would be my suggestion. I love my Twin Reverb upstairs in my little studio, but it is the THR10 that I play downstairs and at my office. The tone is really good and gets loud enough to be satisfying. I bought one new and one used, they hold up well so as long as the input jack isn't damaged (a weak spot on the early ones) you should be good to go. I think I paid $110 for the used one a couple of years ago...should be about right today I would think now that the newer version is out.

tery, DHart and Lef T like this.
  9. Lef T

Lef T Tele-Holic

Looks like the 10C is in the lead so far.
    I'm leaning that way too.
    The hall reverb sounds nice.

10. dkmw

dkmw Poster Extraordinaire

If you want clean go with the regular THR 10. Like @Milspec , I’ve got a Twin Reverb (mines a 73), and the clean model on the Yamaha cops that sounds eerily well.

Milspec, DHart and Lef T like this.
  11. stormin1155

stormin1155 Tele-Holic

The THR10 gets a lot of love. I had one briefly and hated just about everything about it. Couldn't get any sounds out of it that I liked. I would take just about any Fender over it. Be sure you try before you buy.

Dismalhead, tery and Lef T like this.
  12. Otis Fine

Otis Fine Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I traded In a Fender Champ 20 towards my THR10C. Both great little amps.
    Knowing what I know now, if I were buying one of them, I’d buy the Fender. Good enough for me and a third the price.

televillian and Lef T like this.
  13. mycroftxxx

mycroftxxx TDPRI Member

I would try to find a Fender Mustang GT40; they’re still available at many online retailers. Or the LT25.

if you’re dead set on the Yamaha, the THR10C is a fine little amp though; it was my go-to low volume practice amp until the GT40 came out.

Lef T likes this.
  14. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

I can't say which one sounds better, because I only own the THR10C. But: it's very very easy to get good sounds out of it, it requires no manual or menus as everything is accessible via clearly labeled knobs, it can run on batteries and it's small enough to take in your luggage on a trip. I don't know if that's all true of the Fender but it's worth considering.

The newer versions have one with full wireless guitar input, Bluetooth connection and the battery is rechargeable. Just grab the amp, guitar and a pick and you are good to go....amazing.

Lef T and TokyoPortrait like this.
  15. kiwi blue

kiwi blue Tele-Afflicted

I have the Yamaha 10C. After tweaking on the PC, the modelling sounds good through studio monitors. Just once I got to try it through some massive Fane PA speakers and it sounded excellent.

The built in speakers are the let down for me. Much too brittle sounding. They started to grate on me after a while.

Lef T and hemingway like this.
  16. Unison Bend

Unison Bend Tele-Meister

THR10c just for the Fender and Matchless Amps and you can record with it as a DAW. Takes pedals nicely too.

Lef T and emisilly like this.
  17. Strebs

Strebs Tele-Meister

I have a THR10II and it's the greatest living room amp ever, IMO. My wife likes the way it looks too so it will be staying in the living room. It's been there since I purchased it.

Yamaha killed it with this line!

Lef T, hemingway and DHart like this.
  18. El Marin

El Marin Friend of Leo's

In my opinion, the plain THR10 sounds better than the THR10C

I got first the C and got rid of it in one week... I got the the "plain" THR10 and is my home amp since 2012, If I am not wrong

Milspec, Lef T, hemingway and 2 others like this.
  19. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Thr10 is great, but limited in the low end of course. I think a better alternative (over a champion 20) would be a mustang. Champion 20 is junk Imo. Maybe the 8 inch speaker is the issue for me.

Last edited: May 31, 2020
    Lef T likes this.
  20. DHart

DHart Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

THR10 (better than the THR10C, in my view) is an absolutely STELLAR clean amp with fantastic EFX and many other features. My main Preset is the Bass setting (it's clean!) with a bit of reverb and some compression added - amazing tones. Another of my presets dials in some Delay, and another dials in some Chorus. When I want a HUGE sound, I just go Headphone out into the M-Audio 8" powered Studio Monitors, which yields a massive, deep sound, even at very low volumes. But I use (and love) the built-in stereo speakers most of the time.

If anything happened to mine (which I play for hours, EVERY DAY), first thing I would do is buy another one!

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 31, 2020
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.