Yamaha THR10 VS BOSS KATANA

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Alexpapasitoguapo, Mar 16, 2018.

1. Alexpapasitoguapo

Alexpapasitoguapo TDPRI Member

Hi everybody, hope everyone's doing well!
    Right now I have the yamaha and it's amazing but I've heard the boss katana has better sounds, you guys think it would be good to swap the yamaha for the katana?
    I don't really have any pedals though

2. mojoatomic

mojoatomic Tele-Holic

This is in a different direction, but check out some videos on the Boss ME-80

3. IronSchef

IronSchef Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

are you talking about the Katana Mini or one of the full-sized Katanas??

I have both a THR10 and a Katana 50 combo. I love my Katana 50 SO much I may be selling my Superchamp x2. The THR10 is a great little amp, and I imagine the Katana Mini is great as well - but the THR10 also is a great USB recording interface, while the mini has no interface capabilities.

Alexpapasitoguapo likes this.
  4. Alexpapasitoguapo

Alexpapasitoguapo TDPRI Member

Im talking about the katana 50 and 100, thanks for your answer, I may be considering getting the katana 50 and keeping the yamaha too

IronSchef likes this.
  5. rxtech

rxtech Tele-Holic

Keep both

6. brokenbones

brokenbones Tele-Meister

I looked at the THR before buying a Katana 50. I didn't care for the video demos of the THR and I think it's because, to me, 1-12" sounds better than 2-8"s.

7. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Meister

They are different animals. If you can get a bit of volume, a 12" speaker will often sound better - of course. However, if you want very low, bedroom practice levels, you aren't going to move that 12 incher very much. The THR has a different concept - it's using full frequency speakers (like regular stereo speakers) and sound staging. Basically, it's simulating what a cranked amp sounds like, but at any volume. The only way to really get that sound with a "real" amp (such as a katana 50) is to crank it.

So I think of something like the katana as playing the live sound, and the THR as playing a recording of the live sound. Different uses. Neither are better or worse.

For me, I like the Yamaha. That's because I already have a Princeton if I want the real deal amp sound. I find that at very low volumes, the THR is the best sounding amp I've heard, period.

The Katana, however, is more versatile no doubt. I wasn't after versatility. I wanted the BEST sound at very low volume.

8. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

I have both - they are really different. For home use, at low volumes, I think the THR10 is the best. Of course it doesn't have as many effects as Katana, but the THR10 effects are much easier to use. If you are going to play with other people or play shows, the THR10 will not be loud enough.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.