Yamaha THR10 II vs Katana Air (and THR10 II wireless)

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by burntfrijoles, Mar 26, 2020 at 8:57 AM.

1. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Hey guys, I just purchased a THR10 I after trying a Katana Air and returning it.
    Now this is just my opinion but I think the THR10 sounds better than the Katana Air and has a more straightforward interface. I also prefer the Yamaha App to the Katana's App.

I thought the Katana Air sounded like a toy. The Air's speaker had an almost "hollow", boxy tone. To be sure, the small speakers on either can contribute to that tone but I found it easier to tame or overcome that effect with the THR. I wish Yamaha had a tone library for the THR II but I've found useable tones for what I need. It's just a practice amp which now sits on my desk. Also the wireless system on the Air was prone to crackles and pops.

I elected to purchase the non-wireless version. The price put me off but also the G10 relay has been recalled and you can't find them. The other advantages of the wireless version: rechargeable battery power and additional direct access to more amp models were not important to me. Perhaps if I was a busker the battery operation would matter but it's not worth it for the convenience it may provide in my house. The App gives you access to the additional models on the non-wireless version. I overcame the wireless issue by purchasing the inexpensive Getaria wireless system pictured below. It works great, connects instantly with no noise or latency issues.
    64DCEAC1-B413-4878-A5A6-7160A8C52B7F.jpeg
    My final cost for both was $300 vs $550 for the THR wireless.

I don’t know how it would compare vs the Positive Grid Spark.
    BTw, here’s what the app looks like:
    F376DBD9-1D1F-484B-B84B-0DFE59F4E1D8.jpeg
    The amp does what I need and it takes up little space.

ce24 and tery like this.
  2. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire

The THR series has an established reputation .

3. Stax1

Stax1 Tele-Meister

THR10C user here - I bought mine on a whim to simply play with at home when my tube amps weren't appropriate. Haven't had a need to replace it for sake of tone, am pretty impressed with how it mimics big Fender cleans and Vox chimes, and the reverbs on board are quite tasteful.

I have been tempted to try the Vox Adio as well, but just haven't bothered yet..

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.