Yamaha THR

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by Flockhart, Feb 23, 2020.

1. Flockhart

Flockhart TDPRI Member

I joined the TDPRI a couple weeks back—a little prematurely in the sense that the forum has inspired me to pickup playing guitar again after several years of abstinence. However, I don't yet have a guitar (it's on the way!)

I also don't have an amp for my guitar, and here's my question: My eye's on a Yamaha THR10, but I'm no sure if I should grab one of the older models or if the newer THR10 II is better . . . any preferences among experienced players?

bcorig likes this.
  2. Stratguy70

Stratguy70 TDPRI Member

My suggestion is to save a few $ and get a Fender Champion 20. It doesn't have the spacious reverb thing or the orange led's but it is a better sounding practice amp in my opinion.
    It does have reverb, delay as well.

Flockhart likes this.
  3. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Holic

I haven't tried the newer versio . I think it's upgraded for blue tooth, right? That would be worth getting the new one over.

I have the older thr10. The perfect low volume practice solution! Great tones at volume that amps with a conventional guitar speaker (not full range) can't compete.

Flockhart likes this.
  4. Mpd2378

Mpd2378 TDPRI Member

V1 of the thr is a prefect little amp, I love my thr10c.
    Do you need the newer features of V2

Flockhart and Danjabellza like this.
  5. Mpd2378

Mpd2378 TDPRI Member

Also I've fitted mine with stereo outputs so can run it through a cab if I want a bigger sound.

Flockhart and FenderLover like this.
  6. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Afflicted

Find an used one and live with it

Anyone is OK

Flockhart and 19sixty3 like this.
  7. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

When you get your guitar, take it to a dealer with a large stock of amps in your price range, and try as many as you can. You're gonna get a million different opinions here as to which is good and which is bad, but they're just that, those people's opinions. Some people love amps that I don't and some hate amps that I love. I never really liked the standrard THR10, but I love my THR10C. The newer ones are all the standard THR, there's no more C and X versions. If you're interested in a modeling amp with built-in effects, then try Fender Mustangs and Champions, Vox's VTs and Cambridge 50, Boss Katanas, the Yamahas, Blackstars ID Core and Silver series, and as many others as you can until you find the one that says to you "I love you, take me home!"

Flockhart likes this.
  8. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

If you don't need all the bells and whistles and you're on a budget, consider the THR5.

They are wonderful little amps.

Flockhart, tery and EsquireBoy like this.
  9. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Tele-Afflicted

Hi.

Welcome.

I’m pretty sure* that the new ones have the same engine, delivery technology, etc. as the previous ones. The new larger one will have a bigger power amp of course, but all of them should sound the same.

It’s other features, like Bluetooth, that the new ones bring. You’ll have to decide if that’s worth the price difference to you.

Also, just for clarity, the new ones are THR II. The THR v2 was actually the updated version of the previous model - i.e. THR => THR v2 => THR II.

Pax/
    Dean
    * I’m 99% sure this is true and 100% sure the internet told me this :)

Flockhart likes this.
  10. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Even as a guy with loads of tube amps, I love my THR10C (especially the Tele with the Matchless tone) for low volume fun.
    I bought it used so not expensive.
    Also records well into you DAW / into the PA for rehearsals for gigs too.
    You can't go wrong.

11. VerySlowHand

VerySlowHand Tele-Holic

This is exactly what I did and found I didn't much like the Yamaha in comparison to a Blackstar ID and the BOSS Katana. While the THR was loud, the latter two sounded much 'fuller'... probably because there's no substitute for bigger speakers, even at low volume. FWIW, I've just bought a used Mustang III V2, to use until I can nail down exactly what I'm looking for. I intend to use that 90% of the time at low volume... might not work, but it's a cheap way to find out.

Flockhart and Ditchgator like this.
  12. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Afflicted

+1
    My cousin bought the thr10, I bought the thr5 and after having played both I have zero regret.

Flockhart, tery and hemingway like this.
  13. stormin1155

stormin1155 Tele-Meister

I would definitely try as many different amps as you can. I bought a THR10 online based on all the glowing reviews of it, and ended up hating it.

VerySlowHand likes this.
  14. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire

I'd go with a THR5 - Sound , Headphone , battery , effects , and its a pick up and go where you go amp . Disclaimer : I own one :)

Flockhart likes this.
  15. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Friend of Leo's

The THR is a great amp. I have the THR10C and it sounds great on its own, and it also has a “flat channel” that I use my HX stomp in at home. Great all around solution.

Flockhart and 19sixty3 like this.
  16. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Another THR10 (version 1, "C") owner here. Easily the best portable, tiny, well designed practice amp I have come across. I haven't done a detailed comparison against other practice amps for the sounds, but I DO love the simple interface - just enough effects to add variety, they all sound great and are easy to dial in and out, onboard tuner, I love the Deluxe and the AC30 emulations, I like the fact that I can set it down anywhere easily, and I like the fact that it's not ugly - in fact it looks like it belongs in the living room, which means the wife doesn't mind it hanging out there.

With a lot of these, you end up with little tiny menus and scrolling, and figuring out how to make it sound decent can be a distraction. The THR10 series for me is plug and play.

17. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I would take a THR10 over any practice amp, any day of the week. I haven't tried the II. My gut tells me they made the II louder. Which would be a bad thing in this case. I love that the THR10 can get great sound and feel at conversational levels and low TV levels. When I practice at home, that's where I need to be. I can crank my live amps in the rehearsal studio but have to keep it down at home.

Personally, the things I A/B'd it against (and it won on sound and feel at the levels I practice):

- Champion 20. By a mile. The Champion sounds really nice if you can get it to loud TV volumes though. For me the THR is better at those volumes but YMMV.
    - Marshall JCM-1 combo and JMP-1 combo. Both superb. But even on .1w, they are at loud TV volume when sounding their best.
    - Blackstar Fly something or other and Katana Mini. Both toys in comparison, IMO.

Sneaks, tery and Flockhart like this.
  18. wrvond

wrvond TDPRI Member

I've had the plain old THR10 for 10 or more years now. It sits on the table in front of my Fender Champion 40. The Yamaha is pretty handy. It's got a built in tuner that is easy to use, it's light weight, can run on batteries, and there's a soft case available for it with a shoulder strap. I used it a lot traveling around "living" in hotel rooms. It works very well at low levels. I have to admit though, that when I'm practicing at home I much prefer the Fender Champ. My wife loves her Frontman 25R, though it doesn't do any modeling.
    You can buy a brand new Champ 40 with single 12" speaker for $200.00 delivered. A new Yamaha is going to cost a bit more than that. Over twice that if you get wireless with it.
    So you really need to assess what it is that's driving you toward the THR10. If it's modeling, there are "better" amps for less money than the Yamaha. If it's portability, the Yamaha is definitely a winner and I wouldn't be shy of an older model. Just be sure to test it to avoid buying one with blown speakers.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
    Flockhart likes this.
  19. Ditchgator

Ditchgator TDPRI Member

FWIW really liked my THR 10 V1.
    However...craved the real sounds of a tube amp. The THR sounded kinda processed. Even the clean sounds.
    Tube amp was too loud for where my abode is. So...Boss Katana 100 1x12 gave everything that was missing.
    The THR exceeded the portability needs and could run on batteries, so jamming in the park on sunny days, nothing could beat it for that.
    Think the THR is a great amp for what it is. And it just may be exactly what you're looking for.
    Try a few amps before you pull the trigger. You'll thank yourself later.;):cool:

wrvond and Flockhart like this.
  20. Flockhart

Flockhart TDPRI Member

Cool, thanks fo all the feedback. I'll aim to grab one of the older versions if I see one.

My guitar was delivered today, so now ah need to chase down an amp!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.