Yamaha THR Effect/Delay knobs problem

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by tom_saw, Dec 17, 2014.

1. tom_saw

tom_saw TDPRI Member

Hello everyone.

I have googled a lot to find an answer to this problem with no luck, so I'm hoping someone here can help me.

I bought a Yamaha THR 10 about a month ago and am very happy with it, but last week I started to notice that when I turned either of the Effect/Delay knobs all the way down, they don't disable the effect or delay. Instead, a low value chorus and delay can be heard and it stays like that even after turning the unit off and on. This is also reflected by the THR Editor.

I'm pretty sure that since I got it till last week I could disable effects and delay by turning the knobs down just as the manual says, and both started behaving the same at the same time.

I don't remember changing anything in the unit lately, since I updated to V2 as soon as I got it, except for playing with it while running on batteries (Eneloops).

If anyone has any idea about what the problem could be or needs additional info please tell me.

Thanks in advance.

2. foundjoe

foundjoe Tele-Holic

Did you contact Yamaha? They might have a customer support number or e-mail you could use. Seems like something the company should help you with.

3. tom_saw

tom_saw TDPRI Member

Ok I'll try that and get back to you.

4. tom_saw

tom_saw TDPRI Member

Hello everyone. It's been a while since I opened this thread, but since I still haven't found a solution to my problem I ask for your help once again.

I contacted Yamaha; they asked me some questions about where I bought the unit and such, and then gave me the number of a nearby 3rd party repair company, so I called them, but they didn't know either what the problem could be and asked me to take the unit to them.

Before I do this I wanted to check with you people first, since this seems like it might be easy to fix for someone who knows where to look - maybe a software/configuration issue - plus I don't want to risk having other problems as a result of a repair attempt by someone else like I've read about a couple of times.

Thank you all.

5. simonc

simonc Friend of Leo's

I'd do a factory reset on it, and failing that, downgrade to v1.04 then re upgrade to v2.0.

cabra velha likes this.
  6. tom_saw

tom_saw TDPRI Member

Hi. I tried what I think is a factory reset by holding presets 1 3 5 while powering the unit, but all it did was resetting the presets. If this is not a factory reset please tell me how it's done.

I also tried downgrading / upgrading the firmware but the problem persists.

Anything else I could try?

Thanks.

7. Plan9

Plan9 Tele-Meister

Tom,
    Wish I could suggest a fix; if it helps, I recently got one of these and have observed that there is a constant low-level delay/chorus (or whatever effect you have the knob on). I keep a bit of reverb on at all times, and the slight chorus is not objectionable (usually not even something I notice, but it's definitely there). Google turns up similar statements elsewhere on the web.

There is a thread under "Amp Owners Clubs" on the THR10; you might browse that or post questions to that thread.

Bill

8. tom_saw

tom_saw TDPRI Member

Hi Bill, thanks for the suggestion. I'll browse that thread to see whether there's anything related to this and maybe post this same issue there.

If it helps you, the only workaround I could think of was to save a blank patch as preset 1 and use it to go back to zero when I turn on the unit or whenever I used effects/reverb/delay and don't need them anymore. Only obvious drawback is that you end up with 4 usable patch memories, which wouldn't bother me that much if I hadn't had this problem for quite some time after buying the amp.

Thanks again.

9. rubentxo

rubentxo NEW MEMBER!

Hi guys,

I've gt the same problem like tom_saw. I'd like to know if you fixed the problem and how?

Regards,

10. Manolete

Manolete Friend of Leo's

Could it be perhaps intentional on the part of Yamaha, to add a bit of depth and 'blur' to what otherwise might be too stark an amp? I don't know, I'm not a shill or apologist by any means.

11. Hedgewyck

Hedgewyck TDPRI Member

Ok so I'm new to the TDPRI ranks so I'm not sure if it's cool to respond to a 2 year old thread, but I have the same problem with my THR10. For me it started after I had to solder on a new power jack to the board. It fixed the power problem but since that day I have had the chorus effect stuck on, which I notice and don't want on at at times. The bonus problem I now have is that when I plug the THR into my mac, it causes my mac to restart. I'm thinking there is a short somewhere to cause that. After reading this thread I thought I should contribute my info to see if anyone else has a similar problem or fix.
    Thanks in advance for any response.

12. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I don't know for sure, but it sounds like the soldering affected some other circuit, shorting it out. That is what could cause the chorus issue. The mac reboot sounds like "you have power where power don't belong". A bad signal won't crash a machine - power on a data line can. I'd start to check things before moving forward - if you have a multitester, make sure you are not getting power on a data pin on the USB. I would not plug this back into your PC until you are sure it won't damage it.

You may want to check your solder job for the power input, and make sure you did not drop a bit of solder on the board, or have overrun / burn through that jumpered two circuits.

13. Hedgewyck

Hedgewyck TDPRI Member

Thanks unixfish! I suspect the same thing, that I may have over soldered something, causing a short. I didn't think of testing everything with a meter (duh!) but I will do that before I try melting my mac again :)
    Thanks again!

14. utonia

utonia NEW MEMBER!

I know this is an old thread, but it comes up as a top mach for the issue; not able to remove the delay. The software and device will always override if you turn the effect off. My workaround is to dial the DLY/REV knob to the minimum level in the HALL range. That keeps the annoying Delay from coming back and you can barely tell there is an effect on there. Hope this helps someone. Yamaha really needs to address this, but I am guessing that is why they want you to buy the newest model. BTW, I am on the V2.0 Firmware.

15. tdsplatpc

tdsplatpc NEW MEMBER!

I know this is a old thread, but this is the top thing that came up when I was searching how to fix this, and I found it:

Turning off the Extended Stereo Technology will help stop any phasing issues: either turn it off using the editor (In the THR Editor menu it's Edit, then Preferences), or turn the DLY and FX controls to minimum and hold the tap tempo button for 10 seconds or so (until the yellow led sharp sign appears in the little round display on the unit). Just repeat the process to switch it back on.

Doing this takes away the slight "effect" sound on all the clean presets and makes it sound like a normal amp which I much prefer on almost all the presets.

16. cabra velha

cabra velha Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I think I did this the day I first pulled the THR10 out of the box and I've rarely used the delay/fx knobs since (only in edit mode). The delay/FX knobs are one of the only real shortcomings on the unit, just trying to do too much with 2 small knobs.

17. Firth79

Firth79 NEW MEMBER!

I had this problem the other day after my 10 month old dragged my amp over.

When i turned the amp on the chorus and delay where on with the pots turned fully off.

I conected the amp to my phone with the andriod editor app. I could see both effects where on. I could turn them off in the app but as soon as i powered the amp down and back on the chorus and delay came back.

I opened the amp up and found the fault cleared when i disturbed the wiring loom between the controls board and the main board. It seems fine at the moment. Must have been a bad connection from when it fell over.

Worth a go if anyone is still having this problem.

18. S-arm

S-arm TDPRI Member

I found this thread when searching for a fix for my thr10C always on delay.

I did what @Firth79 suggested and it made the always on delay go away.
    It must be a bad connector or wire?

Anyway,
    Just thought I would report my findings for a fairly common problem with the thr10.

19. turbobork

turbobork NEW MEMBER!

TDPRI to the rescue - I'm also experiencing this problem with a THR10C, glad you guys found a solution for yours, going to have a go myself. I know this isn't indicative of all digital modelling, but it isn't half annoying!

20. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Have you tried disabling them through the App on your iPhone or Android?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.