Yamaha THR 5 / 10 Club

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by simonc, Aug 9, 2012.

1. StormJH1

StormJH1 Tele-Holic

Are there any well-established tonal differences between playing off of AA batteries versus the wall adapter? I have a set of (8, I think?) Eneloop AA's in there - it actually holds battery life pretty well just for jamming around the house. The result is that I rarely bother to plug the thing in, just because if I'm going portable, I want to be REALLY portable. I remember something about audio quality being poor if you tried to turn it up past a certain volume, but I can't remember if that was something they addressed with firmware or not...

Because I'm dumb, however, I now seem to have a THR10, Blackstar IDCore10 V2, Blackstar Fly3, and BOSS Katana Mini. The Katana Mini is the newest of the bunch, and also the one that gets the most use. Both the Fly3 and Katana Mini are good enough at what they do, that I really question if I need to keep around both the THR10 and the IDCore10 anymore. The THR10 has stuck around, in part, because of its versatility. I've plugged synths and other audio equipment into it around the house almost as much as guitars. But I need to move some gear out, and don't want to regret selling the THR10, which is legitimately cool piece of gear, but one that's gotten less of my time lately.

Cliffyg62 likes this.
  2. Nickadermis

Nickadermis Friend of Leo's

I've never noticed any difference at all .

3. BoogerRooger

BoogerRooger Poster Extraordinaire

I think a lot of it is the fact that it is called the Blues Jr model. I read a review by someone who thought it was a Bassman model and reckoned it was the best he head heard. I find it very useable, but more with humbuckers or P90s than a Tele but that goes for most of the models on the THR10C.

emisilly and Cliffyg62 like this.
  4. Cliffyg62

Cliffyg62 Tele-Meister

I just go back and forth between the fly 3 and the thr. Depends on what I feel like playing at the time. Don’t think I could let it go. With the acoustic and bass settings and audio interface. And that magic glow...

5. StormJH1

StormJH1 Tele-Holic

Haha, the glow. I'm a fan, but I remember reading tons of 2 or 3-star reviews online where people said the amp was fine but they hated the glow. (You can turn it off with software, IIRC).

I'll keep the THR10 for now. It seems to be that interesting piece of gear that rewards you for using it not the way you're supposed to use it. Like playing guitar through the BASS setting. Or running a preamp pedal with cab sim into the AUX IN jack.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
    Cliffyg62 likes this.
  6. Mistercharlie

Mistercharlie Tele-Holic

I’d keep it. I had an ID Core 10 and never really liked it. The thing hissed all the time while on, which is inexcusable in a modeling amp.

7. GuitarJonz

GuitarJonz Poster Extraordinaire

Cool little amps. I notice many folks seems to use these with looper pedals. I wonder why Yamaha didn't just build a looper into the THR10? They don't seem to sell looper pedals.

8. Crawldaddy

Crawldaddy Tele-Holic

Just joined the club after getting a pretty decent Black Friday deal (US$266). This is after several months using a Vox AV15 and finally got sick of dragging out an entire amp just to rehearse at night using ear/headphones. Yes, I know I could have gone for a smaller Vox offering, but the Vox Adio looks like a weird cushion and the rest of the VX and Mini series just sounded far worse through headphones.

Speaking of which, I noticed that my Sennheiser HD200 pro does not play nice with this headphone output jack via a 1/8"-1/4" convertor. My Audio Technica IM70 in-ear monitors have no such issue. Anyone share a similar experience?

Cliffyg62 likes this.
  9. Kyle76

Kyle76 TDPRI Member

My Audio Technica's work fine with an adapter. Not sure what your issue could be.

10. Cliffyg62

Cliffyg62 Tele-Meister

Speaking of which, I noticed that my Sennheiser HD200 pro does not play nice with this headphone output jack via a 1/8"-1/4" convertor. My Audio Technica IM70 in-ear monitors have no such issue. Anyone share a similar experience?[/QUOTE]

I had a similar problem with one adapter once. It was the adapter not properly fitting the headphone 1/8 plug. At first I thought it was the headphones then I got a third party adapter and problem solved. Never had the issues with good phones just the less expensive ones. That bad one is still lurking around somewhere...

11. cabra velha

cabra velha Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I had a similar problem with one adapter once. It was the adapter not properly fitting the headphone 1/8 plug. At first I thought it was the headphones then I got a third party adapter and problem solved. Never had the issues with good phones just the less expensive ones. That bad one is still lurking around somewhere...[/QUOTE]

. . .yeah, I use the THR10 daily, most of the time with either AT mh60s or Sony 7506s, both with adapters and never had an issue. I would really like to go wireless for monitors/headphones, it gets to be a bit of a 3 ring circus when you have the USB cable, mini aux input, guitar and headphones all plugged in at the same time.

Cliffyg62 likes this.
  12. Cliffyg62

Cliffyg62 Tele-Meister

. . .yeah, I use the THR10 daily, most of the time with either AT mh60s or Sony 7506s, both with adapters and never had an issue. I would really like to go wireless for monitors/headphones, it gets to be a bit of a 3 ring circus when you have the USB cable, mini aux input, guitar and headphones all plugged in at the same time.[/QUOTE]

Someone suggested a Bluetooth adapter. Haven’t tried one yet. Cable management can get complicated. Especially the guitar and headphone cables. And a long usb...

13. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

I've had 0 issues with THR5 + Sony MDR-7506 headphones too.

I've been playing some Ventures Xmas stuff this month. Yesterday my teacher was showing me how the tap/tune button on the THR can be used to set the delay time.

I ended up with an amazing tone for this stuff...

Clean Amp
    Gain + Master around Noon to 1 o'clock
    Tone around 9 o'clock - (THR5 with just the one knob)
    Tiniest hair of tremolo
    Tiniest hair of delay/reverb
    Hit the tap/tune button really quickly to set a really short delay.

This will end up giving a really nice clean tone that has a pronounced slapback on muted notes and a little bit of spring reverb, sounds amazing for this kind of music with the bridge pickup of a Telecaster.

Cliffyg62 likes this.
  14. gambiz

gambiz TDPRI Member

how about the thr 10 buildt in compressor? Could i get it quite as good as a wampler ego? Want that quack, chicken pickin sound?

15. Finck

Finck Tele-Afflicted

I think that the effects in general are far good on THR software but, of course, you have to adjust them properly. You can try the "extended" rack version of compressor and try to replicate the response you want.

Cliffyg62 likes this.
  16. Hoodster

Hoodster Friend of Leo's

Just upgraded from the 5 to 10C and a little bit on the fence. I'm finding even though I play primarily clean I am missing the higher gain models of the originals. Can someone share some compressor settings that will get the Class A or British Blues models of the 10C into heavier crunch? (I'm not a fan of the Mini model and I have already explored the online patches.)

17. DHart

DHart Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Agree. Most of the model tones are way-too distorted for my liking. I prefer a mildly over-driven Champ or AC10 tone. Bluesy over-drive is plenty for me.

The sweet spot for me is using the Bass channel, with just enough gain for very mild overdrive, a touch of reverb, and a lot of compressor. What a sweet and wonderful tone that gets! Fairly clean, but with a mild overdrive. I have become addicted to compression. Love it.

TMoxness and Cliffyg62 like this.
  18. orlaboutorla

orlaboutorla NEW MEMBER!

Great thread! I just took delivery of a THR 10 but I am sat at work, so not had a chance to crack this open yet. I have a question, it may be dumb but... If I were to load a patch from the editor, could I then save it as a preset on the unit to play "offline"?

Thanks in advance...

Cliffyg62 likes this.
  19. Mistercharlie

Mistercharlie Tele-Holic

Yes. Just hold down one of the preset buttons on the top of the THR and the current settings in the editor will be saved as a preset in the THR.

orlaboutorla and Cliffyg62 like this.
  20. hollywoodrox

hollywoodrox TDPRI Member

I am considering getting one of these as I need to practice at night I have 2 Marshall valvestates ,8240 80 watt and an AVT20x . The avt20 sounds rubbish through headphones and the aux in is too quiet.

I need to be able to hear the guitar clearly to make sure I am not practicing sloppily, it would especially help to be able to discern if there is any string noise and if I’m muting it. I find a lot of earlier stuff you would sound great through phones even if you played real sloppy. I use Sennheiser hd 201 over ear headphones.

I will be piping the MP3 tracks I practice with into the thr from my elderly MacBook Pro, which I think is only 32 bit and is running snow leopard . It does not look like I will be able to record via usb as you need newer OS for the Cuba season driver which apparently you need even for the editor ? I have had various zoom fx units working with no driver at all , like the G3, it just seemed to work.

Anyway number one is to be able to practice with headphones with good sound. I play 2 epiphone les Paul’s and play guns n roses type stuff. I had the Slash app on my iPad , but it’s a bit ungainly when you have all leads plugged into your iPad .

Thanks for any info on headphone sound and aux on the THR5 , if it is as good as they say on here I will be able to practice later at night in peace and still retain the ability to hear if my muting is up to par etc. Especially on the fast bits of the 3rd solo in sweet child o mine lol.

Thanks in advance ..... Paul.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.