Yamaha THR 5 / 10 Club

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by simonc, Aug 9, 2012.

1. ddhr

ddhr Tele-Holic

If I understand your question correctly, yes the Gain/Master/T/M/B work like any amp. The editor does give you more control on the effect and some different versions of the effects and speaker emulations. The effect control knob increases the overall effect going from subtle to more pronounced. Personally, I prefer using the editor for the effects. Any changes via the knobs after the parameters have been saved are overridden by the knob setting (I hope I am making sense). So if you set the tremolo using the editor, save that setting, but then adjust it using the knobs, it reverts to what the knob settings provide.

I just switched to V2 and for me, it is a little warmer (I like it).

I hope I was able to help some.

2. Duotone

Duotone TDPRI Member

+2

Once you touch a knob just slightly, that parameter will revert to the knob setting, whereas the other parameters retain the preset value. E.g. when using a preset if you touch the gain knob, the preset gain value will be overridden. All other values will not change back to the other knob positions.

V2 definitely has a better clean setting with better volume.

3. mcentee2

mcentee2 Tele-Meister

Thanks for the anserws!

Maybe here I'd a better question - when creating a preset and I chose a different type of, say, reverb than us the default, and then save that preset to the amp - what parameters does the amp reverb knin control ? More crucially does it keep my preset reverb type choice or change it back to default as soon as I touch it?

As I understand it the editor I can choose all the effects typra/flavours/options in the saves preset for chorus etc all at once, but of course the amp known only allows me to have one at a time in action ?

Cheers

4. ddhr

ddhr Tele-Holic

I agree with Duotone, it goes back to default. For example, I have a edge of breakup preset and the same with some slowish tremolo on it. If I adjust the effect knob (in the trem section), it goes to the default tremolo (faster). I use mine for practice, so I don't typically change the presets once I have set them.

The editor allows you to separately adjust compression, one effect (of four), delay, reverb and noise gate.

5. mcentee2

mcentee2 Tele-Meister

Oh well, I bit the bullet and got a THR10C today anyway :)

I'll play around and report back on my own question for anybody's future reference.

I haven't had a major session yet - but just curious as it sounded pretty darn quiet with my headphones - it needed the Guitar Vol (amp) dimed - is this "Normal" ?

(Phones are AKG 271 mk ii 55 Ohms)

6. mcentee2

mcentee2 Tele-Meister

Well, guys are right. A preset chooses the "effect" and it's parameters, the knob when touched will just change the effect to the stated one on rhe amp and it's "strength" for want if a better word.

So if my preset has Plate reverb with various settings, a touch of the Del/Rev knob brings it back to Spring or Hall as indicated.

T/M/B are just that.

As it happens I didn't get on with the 10C so swapped it for a standard 10 - easier to get some SRV and gilmour tones out of it, and basically an easier breadth of sounds to work with for me.

So far no downsides yet - would be great to have a proper Android preset manager/editor for it !

7. ddhr

ddhr Tele-Holic

Glad you like yours. I think it is a great unit!

8. joaoMvaz

joaoMvaz NEW MEMBER!

Hello guys,

There is a new Android app "THR Librarian". This app comes loaded with the presets of the THR Editor, and you can also save and load original presets to the amp (THR 5 and 10) though the smartphone instead of a computer.

I have a THR 5 and I'm going to sell it to buy a THR10x, but I want to know if it's possible to use the app with the Yamaha THR 10x. I know the standard presets (THR 5/10) are incompatible, but can I save Thr10x (or c) presets in the app and than load it on the amp? Has anyone tried this or can someone test it?

Thank you!

9. mcentee2

mcentee2 Tele-Meister

Apols, I don't have a 10x but can't see why it wouldn't work, it says it does in the app description.

The author has just released v1.2 which allows you to import individual patches or a library file itself via Google Drive or local File explorer - this makes it even more flexible :)

10. Brian Dress

Brian Dress Tele-Meister

This sounds awesome!! Have had my 10 for about three months now and didn't even know there was an editor. Fixing to put the headphone out through the aux in on my mustang iii today and see how it sounds with more volume. Kinda silly I know but I can be a silly kid a lot of the time lol

Dammit. Downloaded the thr librarian only to remember that my phone is USB c and I don't have a converter cable. Ughhh, guitar tone nerd fun on hold.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
    Cliffyg62 likes this.
  11. joaoMvaz

joaoMvaz NEW MEMBER!

Yeah, when I wrote that message the app was still in the v1. The next day I got an update with the other THR 10 patches :) Well, thanks anyway. Now I just hope that the developer release an update to change the parameters through the app, like the cabinets. That would be awesome. ;)

12. Brian Dress

Brian Dress Tele-Meister

Anyone do a speaker out mod. Really wanna try this in two separate 1x12s

13. Brian Dress

Brian Dress Tele-Meister

Hey looking more into using this amp for more things. I found this cool pedal that many may know of. The electro Harmonix 44 Magnum...could I just put the headphone out through the Magnum to a cab?

14. Barzi2001

Barzi2001 TDPRI Member

Hello guys, does anyone have the impression that the THR10 outputs basically the same sound regardless of what guitar is connected to it?

I have a strat, a tele and a Carvin, and with the exception of an extremely tiny difference with the Carvin all the guitars sound the same (at least on the clean and crunch channels). I mean, the sound is good, but is the same no matter what guitar is connected. That happens also in recording (not surprisingly though).

Did anyone else experienced that?

Last edited: May 19, 2016
    MChild62 likes this.
  15. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I've only had my THR 10 a little over a month, but I don't feel that all my guitars sound the same through it. I may have more variety in my pickup combos than you, however. My LP sure doesn't sound like my brightest tele, that's for sure.

I'm really impressed with the little box - at first I wasn't overwhelmed, though. Maybe I expected it to have a ''talent'' button lol. I had a hard time at first getting off the modern sim. It was just so much fun to put it on there, twist the gain and master up, and hear it sound like an about-to-explode Mesa. Never had a Boogie to play with and I like me some gain sometimes to blend all my mistakes together and make it sound like music.

At the other end of the spectrum; I laughed the first time I put it on clean, because it sounded so much like my beloved Twin Reverb. Now I've had time to explore all the models and regularly use every one of them for different purposes.

Someday I'll get around to hooking up the editor but I feel like I've just scratched the surface and want to explore all the potential in the on-the-knob adjustments first.

16. foundjoe

foundjoe Tele-Holic

I know for certain my Strat does not sound like my Tele through the THR5 I have or any other amp. I suppose if you push the gain, most guitars start sounding more the same, but I haven't noticed that THR behave any differently than any other amp or any other modeling pedals I use. Single coil pickups are generally pretty similar, but my Strat and Tele still have distinct tonal characteristics.

17. ddhr

ddhr Tele-Holic

I have not noticed that so far. My tele sounds like a tele and my LP sounds like a LP.

18. sunnysal

sunnysal TDPRI Member

I would have to agree, each of my guitars sound like they always have. But the differences are most obvious the cleaner I go. Though Brit Hi shows the difference between my Strat, my Epiphone dot and my Steinberger with EMG pickups quite well too!

19. BazC

BazC TDPRI Member

Hi, I'm very tempted to buy a THR5, I tried one in a store and was blown away by the sound. One concern though, I've read some reviews that say the plastic parts are very flimsy and cheap, any thoughts on that? I'd want to take it on holiday or round to a friends for a jam and don't want to be frightened of breaking it!

20. Grodad

Grodad TDPRI Member

Hi, I have recently found out about these amps and they look great. I'm in the market for a practise amp, but being on a bit of a budget i am curious..........
    Are there any long term owners out there still raving on this amp? This thread was started around 2012 so wondering how many users from back then are still loving them.
    Reason in I am wondering whether to purchase one of these, or if the money would be better put towards a classic tube amp that will at least will be serviceable and long lasting, and use an attenuator or power scaling for home practise?
    They look good, just wondering about longevity. I tend to buy gear and hang on to it forever........

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.