Yamaha THR 5 / 10 Club

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by simonc, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Duotone

Duotone TDPRI Member

Make sure the firmware has been updated to v.2. Much better volume and tone on the clean channel.

2. EuroBailey

EuroBailey Tele-Holic

Cheers - is there an easy way to find this out? I bought it second hand so not sure whether it's a v1 or v2 thr10 or what firmware the previous owner has installed.

3. Duotone

Duotone TDPRI Member

Hold down the tap/tuner button while turning on the display. it will show the current firmware on the LCD, so if you see 2,0 you're on the new one. if not, you're on the old.

There is a video describing the update procedure:

4. EuroBailey

EuroBailey Tele-Holic

Thanks - i installed new firmware which definitely increased volume of lead and clean channel. For some reason it won't connect to the thr editor but at least the unit is up to speed!

5. songofthewind

songofthewind Tele-Meister

Check your USB cable is OK by trying it with another device.
    Also, try a different USB port on your computer.
    There's a rescan device option somewhere in the editor's menu, try that too.
    I noticed that sometimes the editor didn't connect to my THR, and the above procedures worked.

6. EuroBailey

EuroBailey Tele-Holic

Thank you, for some reason it finally worked yesterday ! Not sure what I did differently but it's up and running. I'm glad I persisted as the editor has some nice presets as a starting point. Cheers!

7. oljack

oljack TDPRI Member

Just received my THR 10c a few days ago. Got it in mint condition for $159 + shipping on reverb. Thought it was too good to be true but worth the gamble in the end.

Man, this thing is great. First night I could get pretty close to from David Gilmour to Beatles to Allman Bros to clean to dirty blues tones. Oh and if you want spot on Billy Gibbons - the 'mini' selection on here has it.

I'm just a hobbyist, no playing live or with a band or anything. Most I do is have a friend come over to jam in my studio apartment so this is perfect.

A couple cons to be balanced. Like others have said the clean sounds don't get as loud as I would prefer but I really don't need it too, just can't play the backing track as loud as I'd like with it on clean, otherwise it's fine on its own.

I'm not going to get rid of my pathfinder 15r with mods and spring reverb. Love that thing and the THR 10c obviously doesn't sound quite as big as the pathfinder but the wide array of sounds that can be had from the THR 10c are incredible and I can't get that out of the pathfinder. Won't be getting rid of either.

Lastly, the past few nights I've had it the hours fly by. The only problem is I'm not really practicing the guitar, I'm just messing around with all the different sounds I can get.

No doubt about it, this little amp is fun.

Cliffyg62 likes this.
  8. Catawompus

Catawompus Tele-Meister

Just got my THR10 today. After fooling around with it for some time I have to say that I couldn't be happier with it! There's lots of work ahead getting to know the software and learning to fine tune the device but it perfectly suits my needs, which are good sounds for headphones and bedroom level. Recommendable!

9. k.a.s.

k.a.s. TDPRI Member

Here is my THR5, bought it about 4 or 5 years ago, and now just can't imagine the better thing for home practice

Attached Files:

10. Bjoern

Bjoern TDPRI Member

Hi. I've got the 10c and the display show 1.0.4. Can I upgrade to 2,0 also?

11. Bjoern

Bjoern TDPRI Member

Can I do this on the 10C too?

12. Duotone

Duotone TDPRI Member

I think the new firmware was released only for the standard THR10 when the 10C and the 10x were introduced. So these should be up-to-date.

13. Duotone

Duotone TDPRI Member

I always keep the master dimed in the clean channel, as the Twin Reverb - which it is supposed to emulate - doesn't have a master either. Sounds better to my ears and plenty of volume, too.

14. Bjoern

Bjoern TDPRI Member

I found out from the Yamaha site that there is no update on the 10c. I red somewhere you can put the rack Comp in the clean channel without compress and then adjust the output gain to compensate for volume

15. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's

I bought a Yamaha THR10C a couple of weeks ago and I like it pretty well. I am mainly using the Deluxe Reverb and Bluesbreaker settings with reverb. Big sounds for such a little amplifier.

I have not had a chance to get online and try any software download settings yet. Is this worth my time?

Cliffyg62 likes this.
  16. Millebern

Millebern Tele-Meister

Just got a THR10C yesterday. What a great little amp. Believe the hype, this thing rocks. I have a nice little set-up going where I have the THR set up beside my laptop and it acts as my computer soundcard and speakers. Talk about versatile and it looks cool as well. I'm hoping I imported the correct presets into the editor from the Yamaha site. There are 23 presets in all. Is this correct?

17. ddhr

ddhr Tele-Holic

Got the THR10 a couple days ago and am digging it - inspiring!

18. Millebern

Millebern Tele-Meister

I'm a little bit confused with the flat setting on the THR10C. I'm looking for the cleanest signal to try and run my Tech 21 character pedals through it. It seems the tone controls and both the gain and master stay active in this setting. Where would I set the controls to get the flatest setting? Would it be mid full up with bass and treble at 0? Gain low and master full on? Maybe someone who has some experience running amp modelers into this could chime in to share their experiences. Thanks.

19. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

Tone knobs at noon. Master full bore if needed. Gain is your volume knob. This the flatest and cleanest.

20. mcentee2

mcentee2 Tele-Meister

Hi - can't find the answer to this one anywhere, and am looking to buy a THR10, but in the editor I see you can twiddle some parameters (comp/gate and other effects and then upload to the amp in slots 1-5, however....

Once on the amp which of the knobs actually work and what do they do ? I presume Gain/Master/T/M/B all as standard - but what then do the Effects controls do ?

Also, is there a more recent consensus of v1 vs v2 for clean/crunch ?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.