Yamaha THR 5 / 10 Club

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by simonc, Aug 9, 2012.

1. pinkfreud

pinkfreud TDPRI Member

I am interested in buying THR10 or THR10C but I need a little help in deciding which one is better for me. Any insight you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

I play songs in the style Beatles, U2, White Stripes.

Here's the list of what I want ideally from the amp:

- clean sound on loud volume (I mean not to break too early)
    - take pedals easily (OD pedal and Big Muff) when the amp is played on clean
    - to have at least one setting with which I can solo with (when the Big Muff is not around)

I can't wait to sort out this last decision and join the Club!

2. StormJH1

StormJH1 Tele-Holic

I would be happy to answer any questions you have - that's what threads like this one are for! I am also a recent owner (couple of weeks ago) and haven't had full time to explore all the features. But I did sample both the THR10 and THR10C, and it is a tough call. If you read about it online, 95% of it is just glowing positivity, which is great obviously, but also less helpful when trying to pick between models.

Your musical tastes sound pretty similar to mine, but what I can tell you is that the THR10C is very much focused on clean sounds and some light crunch. Here's what the 10C amps are modelling:

Deluxe – Fender 65 Deluxe reverb
    Class A – Matchless DC30
    US Blues – Fender Blues Junior
    Brit Blues – Marshall Bluesbreaker
    Mini – Dr Z Mini Z

The reason I went with the THR10 is I wanted just a bit more versatility. The CLEAN setting on the THR10 is an excellent Fender Twin sound - it's very full and convincing, and yes, it can stay clean even at louder settings, remembering of course that this is a practice amp for bedroom volume levels - not a gig amp.

As a fan of the Beatles and U2, obviously having an AC30 on board (CRUNCH) with the THR10 seems like a way to go. That being said, I'm sure you could get close to that sound by tweaking the Matchless or even the Fender on the THR10C. And there's a wealth of factory and user presets you can use with the editor. One guy even made a 20-preset library of just U2 sounds for the THR10 (not THR10C), based on individual guitar songs from various U2 songs. However, I have not had a chance to try them out yet.

I've heard it takes pedals moderately well, probably on that FLAT setting. But with most modelling amplifiers, you have to have reasonable expectations for pedal use, as they really are designed to model their own amps, cabs, and effects.

The primary difference between the two is the presence of BRIT HI (JCM900) and MODERN (MESA Boogie) on the THR10 flagship model. No, those aren't necessarily sounds I use all the time, but since I like the Fender clean so much, it is nice to have that added range and versatility. If you just know that won't interest you, then perhaps the THR10C is a good fit for you, particularly if you like those 5 amps. I just felt that if I could only own one, I was less likely to wonder "what if" if I got the THR10.

3. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Using my pedals with my THR10 has been recent, and I wish I did it earlier.

I have two Mesa 4 knob pedals. One an overdrive, the other a boost that can get a bit dirty. I like the overdriven sounds of the THR more when the pedals do it and it's convenient.

Moving the amp knob or preset to the lead or crunch probably answers your last question, but I've stopped doing that after using it with my Mesa boost pedal. It takes the amp between a nice black face sound and having just a bit of hair on the tone. the only adjustments that I'll do to the amp that way are the final volume output.

4. Tuxedo Poly

Tuxedo Poly Tele-Afflicted

I gave up and searched Ebay for a 15v DC adapter and came up with a Toshiba laptop one rated at 4A. It needed a quick DC plug swap from the standard laptop style to the Yamaha one but, whether it is the extra power or what, my THR5 sounds fuller, more dynamic and better than with the original adapter.
    Cost - just under £17.00 for adapter, mains cable and DC plug

5. StormJH1

StormJH1 Tele-Holic

Following up on the question above about pedals - I tried this for the first time yesterday with a BOSS OD-3 - which is one of their better dirt pedals (released in the late 90's) that runs smooth and doesn't drop too much bass. I thought it sounded pretty good. I had it with the Lead channel, which needs to be tamed with EQ a bit, so I could actually a Tubescreamer or Boost pedal doing some good in front of that setting.

Another couple of firsts for me - I plugged in an iPad with the excellent (and recently updated) "Rock Drum Machine" app into the AUX jack, and grabbed my Squier P-Bass to try out with the THR10. Wow, I was amazed how good that thing sounded as a BASS practice amp. Let's be real here, the thing has 3.15" speakers, so it's not going to take over a room. But given that most bassists will tell you not to even bother with an 8" practice amp for bass, it sounded completely full and believable.

I also ran in some iOS synthesizer apps, and they sounded great. Given that I've only ever used those with monitoring headphones, it's great to experience them through a speaker. I really bought my THR10 with guitar first and foremost in mind, but given how adept it is at some of these other applications, the extra money for the THR10 versus the THR5 (offering the additional balancing and EQ controls) is really looking like a good decision now.

Only thing left for me to try out is using the THR10 as a recording interface through the included Cubase AI software (and playing around with the Editor). Some people think that $300 is too much for a modeling lunchbox amp, and I get that if all you care about is a micro amp. But if you have a use for some of these other features, it becomes an incredibly versatile little glowing box! (I guess you can turn the glow off w/ software if you want, too. I like it, but I'm amazed how many people cite that as major annoyance to them. Haha).

6. pinkfreud

pinkfreud TDPRI Member

StormJH1 and imwjl,

Thank you so much for your lengthy answers! The community here at TDPRI is always so helpful, every time I have a question somebody takes the time to respond.

I have decided to go for Yamaha THR10C for the following reasons:

- I am interested more in clean/OD sounds and 10C has plenty of those.
    - THR10C is made to break later on clean than THR10. Short explanation here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkZIp2dbJdo?t=4m20s This means I can have a clean sound at a higher volume.
    - if I would want some heavy distortion for crazy solos I can use my fuzz pedal anytime with the THR10C.

Now I can't wait for the amp to be delivered! :D

7. StormJH1

StormJH1 Tele-Holic

As a THR10 owner, I think you made a good choice with the 10C! Especially given your desire for amps that stay cleaner longer. I don't think you can go wrong with this series - I'm not big into high gain, but the 10X is also damn cool with those 5 big sounding amps and then the Fender Clean as a 6th option in lieu of the acoustic setting.

Keep us posted and enjoy!

8. ledvedder

ledvedder TDPRI Member

9. StormJH1

StormJH1 Tele-Holic

Very cool demo of the amp, thanks for posting. I'll never make fun of someone's playing on stuff they share because: (1) from the sound of that demo, you're likely better than me, haha; and (2) the discussion is about the equipment, and I find demonstrations in the hand of average players to be often less misleading than when some shredder just rips the hell out of something.

Also, "Eruption" is probably a little bit harder on the difficulty scale than "Mary Had a Little Lamb", so props! Haha

Anyway, I thought the 10X sounded great there - I love that Brown Sound setting on the 10X, and there is a user preset I downloaded for the THR10 that is supposed to estimate "Brown Sound", but I haven't had the chance to test it yet. Hope it gets close.

One tip on the recording (from someone who probably has 15 minutes more experience than you, so take as you will :lol:), keep an eye on your levels. The Soundcloud map there suggests you are recording fairly hot, which is why everything looks like a giant "rectangle". Cubase should be displaying the input level as you record it, so you can adjust the levels on the THR10X (I assume) to lower it just a bit. If the gauges spike over "0", the audio will "clip" and you won't have the same dynamics in volume range. You can always turn up the volume when you listen to a recording. This is actually one thing I was curious about myself was how easy it was to control levels using the THR10 as an interface. I do this with my iPad recording interface, but haven't had the chance to record with my THR10 through a PC.

Thanks again for sharing - the 10X is one mean machine!

10. ledvedder

ledvedder TDPRI Member

Thanks! Yep, the Brown models were the main reason I went with the X. I absolutely love the tone and the "feel" of those models!

I think I had the input gain too high when I recorded. First time using any kind of DAW, but I'm learning.

11. Kuroyama

Kuroyama Tele-Meister

Had my THR10c for awhile now. Was using a Fender Champion 600, then an Orange AD5. Needed the portability and tonal responsiveness to cart to music lessons. Had always wanted a THR because I liked the technical approach behind it (not modeling amps, but the components of their signals).

I dont really play it at volume. For that (like the name says) I have a gigging amp (Twin), and a recording amp (DRRI). But both of those need to be wheeled out and set up. So much easier to pull out a lunchbox and plug into it!!!

Ive only tried OCD and FullDrive2 pedals. But at low volumes, Im not really getting anything I couldnt from the amp itself in terms of breakup. Still... I am VERY happy with this amp. It does what I need, and provides better tone than My playing deserves to produce. If anyone reading this is on the fence and they need a bedroom practice or small recording amp (not for playing with the band)... Just get it! This isnt IMO one of those amps that sounds great in the store but fizzles under your roof. You will be satisfied!

[​IMG]

12. StormJH1

StormJH1 Tele-Holic

@Kuroyama - Awesome testimonial. Glowing reviews like that made me wrestle with getting a THR10C instead of the THR10, but I think the latter has a bit more flexibility, so I would have regretted it either way. And I love the Fender Deluxe on the "C", but I'm pretty sure the "CLEAN" on the THR10 (and "X") is a Fender '65 Twin Reverb, and it's probably my favorite of the models.

Had a very rushed go at hooking this thing up to a computer. It was a mixed bag. I got the Cubase/Steinberg driver installed, and Cubase AI recognized it as an audio device pretty quickly. I was able to monitor my DAW tracks with playback through the THR10, which is great. But it wasn't recording audio yet. I watched some videos afterwards, and there was another step or two I needed to take within Cubase to select the THR10 as my audio source (either amped or DI). So, if that's all I missed, it's not that hard to set up.

I also used the THR Editor. This was also okay, but I need more time to play around with it to really figure out what would sound good with the amp. Yamaha has about 35 presets of their own in the default preset pack, including a few varieties for bass. People keep saying you can only store "100" presets, but I think that's just wrong - you can open a new library and have a fresh 100 slots.

One thing I realized as I played around more is that my description of the volume controls may have been a bit off. From what I have read from other users, the amp sounds better if you have the "Master" either cranked or set reasonably high, and then use the "Guitar Output" to control your volume level. I thought the "Output" knobs were only for balancing, but in actuality, the Output knob serves as the "Master" for this type of amp. "Gain", of course, is still "Gain". I'm having a bit trouble with the Crunch and especially the Lead settings sounding a little brighter/harsher than they should, but perhaps the EQ could work on that. It isn't because of the speakers, since both the CLEAN and BASS settings have amazing low end punch. So does MODERN, of course, but a different kind of low end. Oh, and while you have the editor open and a USB cable connected, yes, you can make adjustments to the "button" presets (1-5). But when the amp is disconnected, messing with any of the knobs will kick you out into one of the "dial" presets. Except (I assume) the "Output" knobs.

13. joesnewmatch

joesnewmatch Tele-Meister

Don't forget about the Speaker Cabinet choice, which will also color your overall sound. You can choose the type of speaker cabinet in the Editor.

14. Kuroyama

Kuroyama Tele-Meister

Wow... I knew this thing is flexible, but honestly hadnt tried anything near what you guys are doing! I rarely even switch from clean. When I do, its only to get to the edge of clean. Basically, I plug in, and turn on. Like my Cabronita... I keep it simple.

That you guys get more from it though is great!! I just spent a LOT of time with a Line6 Pod... Spent more time adjusting tones on that thing than I did playing. These days, amps, pedals... I try to keep the knob turning to a minimum. I dont practice enough as is.

Still... Lets hear some clips of what you guys have done with yours!

15. StormJH1

StormJH1 Tele-Holic

@joesnewmatch - You are right, I definitely need to try the speaker cabinet changes. People rave about how much you can do with the THR Editor, but I think it's a little misleading to say that to new buyers. You are still very much tied to the 8 amp models that ship with the device (on the 10, these are CLEAN, CRUNCH, LEAD, BRIT HI, MODERN, BASS, ACO, and FLAT). It's not like the THR software has a preset that suddenly models a Dumble or a Matchless or something. That's why they market and sell the "C" and "X" versions of the amp. But you can change the cabinet, and doing that is probably the primary thing you can do to alter the voicing of the tone. There are also a few other options for reverb, modulation, etc. that aren't available on the default knob settings.

@Kuroyama - Don't let our discussion get you bogged down in details. What you described is 100% the intent of Yamaha - to make a modeling amp that actually allows you to plug in and play without endless tweaking. I am still using the factory setup 95% of the time - I just was curious if there were some other tones in the presets that I might like better.

And using it as a recording interface with Cubase (included) is seriously cool, but in reality, I have modeling software on iPad that is far more convenient for that purpose and the limited amount of recording I do. I bought the amp as a bedroom level practice amp, and it excels at that. The other stuff is just gravy.

16. ledvedder

ledvedder TDPRI Member

17. Kuroyama

Kuroyama Tele-Meister

<Morris Day voice> I like it, I LIKE IT!

18. simonc

simonc Friend of Leo's

Well I'm back in the club that I started :)

I tried out a mates vox ac4c1 a few nights ago and got asked to turn it down almost immediately by the mrs...so was looking for a low volume amp that had a headphone out. Looked like nothing better had hit the market in the last 12 months, so off I went to get another thr5 (if it ain't broke, don't fix it, right?).

Got it home all eager to play....and....terrible! Mud city, where was the sparkley clean almost breaking up tones I loved? The clean channel had gone to pot! Totally lifeless, like every other "twin" model out there. Not happy at all....

But!

Downgraded to v1.04 firmware...yes! There's the tones I know and love! Phew, I was pretty worried there for a bit. From what I've read, others are really liking the v2.0 update, but for me, it stunk! Like I said, lifeless.
    I'm thinking maybe it's something that's better on the thr10, as theres more tone knobs available to shape the sound, and the thr5 with its single tone knob isn't voiced right or something...?

19. StormJH1

StormJH1 Tele-Holic

@simonc - Strange! You are not the only person I've heard say that they wanted to go back to 1.04, but any time you make a change to tone, there will always be some people who prefer the other side of the fence. Particularly when you have a popular device to start with and they change, well, anything. I can't speak for THR5 vs. THR10 since I only have the latter.

However, aside from the casing being a slightly different size, the 3-band EQ could make a huge difference in how the tone is dialed in. On v2.0, I actually have the opposite problem: the two "Marshall" settings (LEAD and BRIT HI) just sound too bright. And it's not an issue with the amp/speakers because the CLEAN and MODERN settings (BASS too) have plenty of low end presence. Played around in the editor a bit and I did find a LEAD preset that sounds a little bassier, so I'm using that as my Plexi for now. Marshalls do have a high end UK "sparkle" to them, but they also have noticeable low end, especially with it supposedly simulating a 4x12"cabinet. So, long story short, I don't love ALL the settings yet, but I am certain they are in there. And the ones I do like - I REALLY like!

PS - once you get everything set up in Cubase, man does that sound great for direct recording! I kind of hate the program for all other things (MIDI, synths, drum tracks, ease of use), but so easy to record the THR10. May try to use Ableton Lite with it instead.

20. Rich Wood

Rich Wood TDPRI Member

Cubase software issue

Hi all, I brought the THR5 yesterday and it really is great! Just what I needed.

The only problem I am having is registering the Cubase software that came with it. It says there is no product with the license number that came with it?
    I see some other guys have had similar problems, did you mange to get it fixed?

Any help would be much appreciated

Many thanks

Rich

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.