Yamaha THR 5 / 10 Club

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by simonc, Aug 9, 2012.

1. BigbirdPhila

BigbirdPhila TDPRI Member

I have a 10C and don't have either problem. It has remarkable bass for such small speakers, IMHO. I hit low "D" on some songs in dropped-D tuning and the bass sounds pure & rich. I love the amp.

If you suspect the battery door rattling, just remove the door to test your theory. Replace it if that's the problem. Mine doesn't rattle, is on tight, and is actually somewhat difficult to remove.

2. gerry123

gerry123 TDPRI Member

Just got a THR 5.
    Can anyone recommend some good settings for a mellow jazz sound, and also a gritty blues sound?

Thanks

3. Doth

Doth Tele-Afflicted

Hey guys,

I recently joined the club with a 10C. I thought the amp was pretty darn good for $300. However, once I took the time to download the THR editor and make some serious tweaks, I think it is an *unbelievable* value for $300.

My question is:
    Where do you guys go for sharing of patches?

4. chipwich

chipwich Tele-Meister

guitarpatches dot com.

5. Doth

Doth Tele-Afflicted

I visited that site, they had a few, but not a lot.

6. chipwich

chipwich Tele-Meister

Sorry Doth. I have a THR10 and there are 61 patches for it. I incorrectly assumed that they would work for the others.

7. 62 Jazzmaster

62 Jazzmaster Friend of Leo's

It's not here yet, but I will be joining the Yamaha THR club.

I debated a lot of which version, especially between the 10C/boutique amps and the more jack-of-all-trades regular THR10.

The THR10X was a non-contender, just not into that style & sound.

Also gave the THR5 a lot of consideration with its simpler interface- less twiddling, more playing.

I got a good price on the regular THR10 and bought it, now the waiting is the hardest part. :neutral:

8. 62 Jazzmaster

and it's here! woo-hoo!

9. felis

felis Tele-Afflicted

I also returned my THR10C, because of a mechanical resonating noise on some of the settings, while playing certain notes or chords.
    Sadly enough, because I liked the way it sounded (without the rattle of course ).
    It wasn’t the springs in the empty battery compartment or the battery door, and it didn’t resonate when using headphones.
    Probably something mechanical, I guess it’s due to the cramped/small housing enclosure.

10. 62 Jazzmaster

quick pic:
    [​IMG]

11. joesnewmatch

joesnewmatch Tele-Meister

I just joined the club, last month. I thought my Micro Cube had broken and it turned out to be the headphones -- but in the process I did a lot of research, trying to find the latest and greatest home headphone amp and that led me to the THR. I read every one of the 20 pages in this thread as part of my research. Thanks to everyone who contributed.

I decided on the "C" model, based on my research, particularly the Jon Herrington demo and the one by that shop in the UK.

My other main amps are a Princeton Reverb and Swart Atomic Jr, both of which are considered decent home amps. I haven't turned either of them on at home, since the Yamaha, though they have gone with me to jams with other players.

I'm amazed by the amp. It is truly all you need to practice by yourself, and probably would work with others, as long as you didn't get to loud. Love the 3-D effects through the stereo speakers. I've used it with my Tele, Jazzmaster, semi-holowbody, and SG, and everything sounded great. Yes, it lacks low end, but it's a lunchbox!

Over the years and decades, I've noticed a lot of people moving away from huge home stereos, in favor of smaller units that put out equally good sound at low volume. That seems to be the THR's secret -- not trying to sound like a stack, only trying to put out the best possible tone at reasonable volumes.

The Deluxe Reverb setting is particularly amazing. I've been using that and the Class A setting, the most, but I'm ready to start playing around with the Editor, and take everything to another level.

And let me tell you -- the DR setting, plus chorus, plus the Hall Reverb, plus the Jazzmaster and its trem, and you are in ambient heaven. Too cool!

12. Tuxedo Poly

Tuxedo Poly Tele-Afflicted

Can any THR owners in the UK help with sourcing a replacement power adaptor that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

The Yamaha service agents just quoted £52 which is 33% of the cost of a completely new THR5 amp.

13. DocJay

DocJay Tele-Meister

Cool to hear that the THR10C stacks up well against these. Since moving to a condo, I have had to sell all my tube amps, so I'm just using the 10C. The two amps you noted are two of the ones I have often lusted after, so great to hear the THR can hang with these! Very high praise.

14. StormJH1

StormJH1 Tele-Holic

Posting here because I hope to join the club in the next week or two, just as soon as I scrape some disposal income together for it by selling some other stuff, etc. Played it in a guitar shop almost on a whim - I got a Blackstar ID Core10 last year, and that amp isn't bad for 1/3 of the price. But in retrospect, I should have saved more money and just gotten a THR10.

I'll have to read through the 20 pages of thread here to learn more (and do something productive with my excitement!). I know about some of the changes that happened when it went to v.2 - is there any word if the "new" version of the THR will be another firmware upgrade? Or an entirely new box/form factor?

I'll be getting the regular THR10, though I did test out the 10C a little bit. I understand the appeal of the boutique amps on the 10C and like those models, but I feel like it's just a bit more restricted to blues/jazz/clean tones than the standard 10, which covers everything from Fender Deluxe to Mesa Boogie. If the higher gain models sounded like crud, like they do on some modelers and small amps, that would be one thing. But I think they sound amazing, so it will be standard 10 model for me! All of them are terrific though - I even played the Acoustic version and thought that was kind of neat for a portable acoustic amp.

15. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

I've got some renewed love for my THR 10, but some confusion on the Yamaha software downloads.

The renewed love is how I can have satisfying tone without bothering anyone in the house. I knew it, but reminded self how this tops any other small amp or interface I've tried for low volume practice.

I did the V2 update last spring. The Yamaha update page has a date 12/24/2013 for the V2 update, and a V1.0.4 firmware update with 3/6/2014 date. Did I miss an update to my V2?

Thanks.

16. StormJH1

StormJH1 Tele-Holic

Not sure I totally follow, except that I know you can download either the v.1.0.4 or v.2 firmware from the website and use either. In other words, users who went to the new one can revert back.

From what I've read, the consensus is that the clean models on the regular THR10 were improved in v.2, but this is subjective, of course.

17. StormJH1

StormJH1 Tele-Holic

Giving myself a self-high five and patting myself on the back for joining the THR10 club yesterday!

The amp is fantastic, but I've heard people rave about the editing software and how it really unlocks the potential of the amp...I'm not sure I get it. Other than saving presets (which you can do on the device itself anyway), it gets you access to a Room Reverb and a few other FX that aren't in the factory setting. But there aren't additional "models" in the software, correct? Whatever 5 or 6 amps are on the left side of the dial of your particular THR (regular, boutique, or high gain), those are your amps. It would be pretty amazing if I had the option of subbing out a Mesa/Boogie for a Matchless DC30, or something like that. But, I suppose this way they can release 3 models and hope that it expands the appeal or they can sell some people two of them!

18. joesnewmatch

joesnewmatch Tele-Meister

Congrats on the amp. I continue to be blown away by my 10C.

There is a download that will give you a bunch of presets (amp and effects settings), in addition to just having the empty slots. If you haven't found that, go back to the download section and look for these.

Other than that, you can use the unit as an interface with whatever computer-based recording software you prefer. I have tried it with Garageband and it works great. Enjoy.

19. StormJH1

StormJH1 Tele-Holic

Thanks, I will be sure to download that. I think what you mean, though is that you can change the settings of the Clean, Crunch, Lead, Brit Hi, and Modern amp models, but those are the 5 models. On my THR10 unit, I can't sub out one of my models for a different one. However, one of the software demo videos showed that you can change the cabinet type, so I guess that's a fairly significant thing to be able to modify.

I really need to turn it up to test this, but as mentioned earlier on this page above, this thing seems extremely "rattle" resistant for such a small amp. Especially given that the whole thing is cased with ribbed metal, it's an impressive engineering thing if they've managed to minimize rattling with the lower bass notes. My other two amps are a Super Champ X2 and Vox Pathfinder 15 - both great amps (and came popularly recommended on this forum), but even they have their own degree of rattling with certain volume/settings.

20. StormJH1

StormJH1 Tele-Holic

Question about how the presets work...sorry, would try it out myself, but with a newborn in the house, I spend more time thinking about my guitars than actually using them...

I found and downloaded the THR editor program. Yamaha does have a library with around 35 different presets. I've heard some of these are pretty good. In addition, there are some user created ones that look interesting (two of the most downloaded ones are one for the "Brown Sound" and a pack of U2 sounds from like 20 different songs). Curious in the Brown Sound one on THR10 as it compares to the Brown Sound models on the THR10x, which I thought sounded quite good.

But, say I assign one of these presets to one of the 5 preset buttons on my amp. What if I want to make a slight tweak to one of those, such as volume or treble. Does adjusting any of the knobs modify the preset? Does it change only that setting, or does it then revert to whereever all of the knobs are set? Or can you not make adjustments to button presets in this way?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.