Yamaha THR 5 / 10 Club

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by simonc, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Stereo-Stereo

Stereo-Stereo NEW MEMBER!

Hi All,

I've been drawn in to the Forum by my absolutely joyful experience with the THR series & the excellence of information and spirit here, most recently displayed by MegaCrasher.

I owned a THR 5 for over a year. I enjoyed it so much that I decided recently to purchase a THR 10C too. I'd been seeking a good "apartment volume level" clean tone that can still crank a bit. In the course of putting my Pedalboard together, I purchased a DLS Chorus-Vib second hand that happened to be Stereo capable. When the THR 10C arrived the light bulb went on. I hooked it all up and was literally blown away by what I heard! Considering that I hadn't planned on what I stumbled across, it was like finding a magic key to a wonderful 3rd dimension of sound. Not only that, I am running it through my Apogee One via a splitter to utilize my iPad for Spotify and backing tracks/practicing & it is excels as a personal practice station/hi-fi system in this type of configuration.

I started to dial in my 10C with the THR Editor as well as saving some presets both from Yamaha as well as you kind people out there that upload them. IMO, that is when the amps really start to come alive, so I decided that the extra features (still haven't plugged my Bass in but looking forward to hearing it when I do) and superior clean tone of the 10C is my thing & I ordered another one. Between the tweak ability of the amps via the Editor and pedals, the range of high quality tones is stunning.

I sent the 5 to my friend in Seattle. I couldn't keep raving about how great the THR is without making him a member of the club too! He has excellent ears and also is amazed at the sound and versatility of it.

MegaCrasher, that's a fantastic gift idea for your Dad for Father's Day. Having owned both, I recommend the 10C especially for his style. I bought mine from an authorized dealer on a certain auction site on best offer and got really good deals on both.

These Yamaha THR amps are one of my favorite gear purchases since I got back into playing. I've had no issues with any of them yet either.

Attached Files:

2. kend

kend Tele-Meister

Mine went back. The one I bought had the squeal, so the shop gave me a loaner which worked fine. A version 2 came for me, the squeal was there again. I live in a fairly new building , so no wiring , flourescent lights or anything to blame. Besides the loaner seemed fine. I saw the youtube squeal and realised there is a manufacturing problem here.
    The shop owner suggested I keep the loaner and I replied that I didn't want a year old demo amp, ...
    too bad, I liked the idea.

3. rockin_seira

rockin_seira NEW MEMBER!

Hey, i thought i'd join in.. Had this mighty amp since December 2013. Some days i dont quite feel the amp so i plug my Tele to my trusty fender blues junior and in most days i love the THR 5, upgraded to the V2 but i went back to V1, i like how the amp breaks up in the clean setting in the V1. I plugged in a few pedals and found it to be good, especially for an amp this size. I've been thinking about upgrading to a 10C but couldn't find one here in my country. Here is a shot of my thr5 with a tube screamer :)

image-2975438392.jpg

4. gruzin_1987

gruzin_1987 TDPRI Member

Hallo everyone

I'm new to this forum.

Can enyone help me?

I need a bag case for THR10/10C

I found original yamaha bag but i wonder if there is some cheaper one, like camera case or something.

5. Ernest

Ernest NEW MEMBER!

I just bought a THR10. It appears that i cannot turn off either the Effects or the DLY/REV. When the knob is turned fully to the left, the effect is still on. The manual says these should be off in this position. Is this unit defective?

6. songofthewind

songofthewind Tele-Meister

Download the THR Editor to your counter. Connect the THR with a USB cable.
    The current settings on the amp will show up in the editor, and you can adjust them to taste. If your THR was pre-owned someone may have dialled in some FX sounds and saved them as presets.
    Hope this helps.

7. BigbirdPhila

BigbirdPhila TDPRI Member

Remember, to use the editor you also have to download the appropriate driver for your OS. I believe the download site is download.yamaha.com. I'm on vacation now and don't have my THR with me so I can't check how mine works. But using the editor you should be able to figure out if your unit is defective.

8. Solrac Kai

Solrac Kai Tele-Holic

Just ordered the THR 10 from Sweetwater, should be here on wed. Can't wait

9. OwlPants

OwlPants TDPRI Member

Posted a query in the general amp section too but wanted to hear from actual THR owners as well, so here's tl;dr version:

THR10C vs. any of the Fender Mustangs as my only amp that will never leave the house, be jammed, or gigged, and is solely for my own practice at low volumes (usually) and headphones for light rock, blues, and jazz.

Leaning heavily toward the Yamaha right now simply due to size. Feel that I play more if I can easily move it around the house and use it as a headphone amp without being tethered to 40 lbs of amp.

10. OwlPants

OwlPants TDPRI Member

Two questions:

1. Is the Yamaha plugged into the iPad? (Don't quite understand the splitter comment)
    2. What iPad stand is that?

11. felis

felis Tele-Afflicted

A question for the owners, how does it perform through headphones?

Edit: never mind, just bought one (THR10C). ;)

Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
  12. felis

felis Tele-Afflicted

Yamaha is having a survey for the next generation THR.

13. felis

felis Tele-Afflicted

Double post, sorry.

14. jipp

jipp Friend of Leo's

i do not use facebook.

chris.

15. felis

felis Tele-Afflicted

Me neither, but I still can click the survey link on the FB page.

16. BigbirdPhila

BigbirdPhila TDPRI Member

You don't need a Facebook account to take the survey. Here's the long version:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/FD6HPG5

and here's a (supposedly) shorter version they also posted:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/KLJVX88

They are taking some heat for the length of the first version. 67 questions. As I look at the second one now, it's also 67 questions. It was supposed to be shortened to 20 questions. They look identical right now. Keep checking -- maybe they're in the process of setting up a shorter one.

17. felis

felis Tele-Afflicted

Well, it's never gonna be good enough for some people. ;)
    I think it's positive, asking opinions before developing.

18. poekie3000

poekie3000 NEW MEMBER!

Another THR5 owner here.

I noticed on my THR5 that when I dial in Spring reverb with the DLY/REV dial, the last bit of the spring reverb quadrant on the dial does not produce the effect. It creates a kind of a ´deadzone' between the spring and the hall reverb effects.

Is that normal?

19. poekie3000

poekie3000 NEW MEMBER!

I also wonder if it's normal that when I max out the gain and master dials and the turn up the volume dial to a high level, the speakers can't handle it and start to pop/rattle. Happens mainly on the high gain amp models.

20. Lance

Lance Friend of Leo's

I returned it because of that problem. But it rattled even when it wasn't turned up. And even at whisper levels wouldn't handle a bass.

Others have said that you need to install batteries or the battery door will rattle.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.