Yamaha THR 5 / 10 Club

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by simonc, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Yanto

Yanto TDPRI Member

nikola - no

2. Chancerubbage

Chancerubbage Tele-Meister

I guess you read the comment in the YouTube comments of the guy with you problem that said it disappeared if level for the USB/aux in were changed? I would also make sure firmware/software were updated using the library editing software.

I remember keeping an eye out for the power supply issue when I bought my thr10, I haven't noticed any issues with mine. I only plugged into USB with the editing software once (there's a lot more to play with under the hood) but I think there has been a recent update I have ignored, making the high gain patches more flexible and responsive.

3. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

That could describe some rooms in our house or the bar next to the laundromat I used in college. Certainly loud enough for both if it were only 3 PM in the bar.

The THR might be best described as a desktop and table amp. It takes AA batteries so very safe to call it a personal pleasure item too.

4. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

They'll put out enough sound to be clearly heard, yes, but it will sound about the same as a clock radio in a room that size. They're not designed for that type of situation, they're meant to be low-voume amplifiers, and they work very well for this. The small size of the speakers means that it's physically impossible for them to move enough air to have a full sound in a room that large.

5. nikola

nikola Tele-Meister

Yanto,

If that's the case, it "can" almost do that job, but let me tell you that's not the job they were designed for.

I think Frodebro describes well that the speakers are physically small and would struggle to fill the room. If using cleans only, I think you would have a hard time.
    Bear in mind that Yamaha designed these series of amps to be the *third* amp. ie. the low volume, yet still getting beautiful tones.

The clock radio analogy is quite accurate in that respect.

6. voi666

voi666 TDPRI Member

yup, read that.

he said that it made the problem 'almost' disappear. not good enough for me.

i'm of the opinion that if i buy a new device that i shouldn't have to fiddle around with it to overcome obvious problems and than settle for 'good enough' or 'almost fixed'. i paid for it it and it should work as advertised.

7. Chancerubbage

Chancerubbage Tele-Meister

I agree. The unusual bit is that this is the third time (am I counting right?) that the identical problem has shown up for you, swapping out for another from the shop? The odds seem unusually stacked against you or i feel very lucky in merely having avoided the same

I was wary of the power supply issue when I bought mine, and checked mine out with considerable attention when I got home. I'd check out the next one while still in the store.

8. voi666

voi666 TDPRI Member

the one in the video was the second one. third is on the way.

i asked the dealer to check it before shipping. should spare us all a lot of time and money. arrives tomorrow. fingers crossed.

9. oleijon

oleijon TDPRI Member

Hi.
    I haven´t really gigged with one, but I used it for band rehearsal. I simply used the headphone out to a monitor, but could have put it into the console, however, we didn´t really use the PA for instruments, just mics.

Volume wise you are OK, I could hear myself good over drums and another guitar, however I was standing in front of the monitor and I know the drummer heard me because we did a few syncopated things.

However, this is strictly a personal opinion, I think some of the sparkle and dynamic got lost along the way. It might be that the "stereo thing" that the THR10 does, got lost or something. But as I said, this might just be me. And to be honest, it might not be what everybody else is hearing when playing in a band situation.

I really love the THR10, it is one of the best pieces of guitar equipment I ever bought, but I will look into something else for rehearsal.
    [​IMG]
    My setup for the day for the interested:
    Taylor T5 Standard
    Fender Classic Series '60s Custom Telecaster with Bigsby
    Yamaha THR10
    Wampler Velvet Fuzz
    Eventide H9
    Digitech JamMan Solo

10. Clump

Clump Tele-Meister

In the club! I got a THR10 about a week ago. I hemmed and hawed between the 10/C/X and finally settled on the plain 10. Having a lot of fun with it so far.

I was surprised that it was not already V2. Did the update without a hitch, but would have thought they'd be shipping all V2s by now.

11. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

FYI: Don't forget the THR has a setting for close or far listening. Still, with that I don't think it's a band or bigger room amp in the way I love it as a desktop item.

On the squeal. Is this happening without USB or auxiliary input? Those are troubleshooting steps I'd take as well as try a guitar that was different.

12. voi666

voi666 TDPRI Member

no usb and no aux. i tried two different guitars (sg and tele), three cables and four different spots around house. all the same.

picking up the third (and last) one from the p.o. tomorrow. they promised to check it before shipping. so should be ok.

13. longjnsilver

longjnsilver NEW MEMBER!

MIC for a THR 5

Hi guys. Need to get a mic ($200 range - a Shure 55SH ?) to use via an adapter with my little THR 5.
    Anybody tried this?
    There IS a knob marked MIC/GUITAR. Does that not adjust the relative input from each?

This is the perfect little amp for doing oldies at home birthday parties, nursing homes, etc. with my wife doing her snare & brushes thing, but I've gotta have a mic!

THANKS!
    - longjnsilver - Johnny Long - in Western NC

14. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Holy cow I just tried one of these out at Guit Center... what a cool little amp!

15. kend

kend Tele-Meister

Sure is! I just bought the 10 and did the firmware upgrade.
    Perfect!
    Here's a good vid on the deep editing. He gets some good sounds in this one:

Also... this is cool:

16. Lsimy

Lsimy TDPRI Member

Found something interesting with THR that was really bugging me. For those who use the headphone out for recording and have an electronically noisy environment (as my apt does), plug into a DI first. I was getting this very high pitched low-volume digital noise that turned out to be a ground loop. I have never heard a loop like that and mostly used to the usual 60hz loop.

This was driving me nuts especially when using a high input gain on the preamp into the computer. I tracked it down to a loop between the laptop, THR and monitor however there was no easy way to get rid of it without unsafely lifting a power ground.

I can't use the USB with my rig for recording as many recording apps out there only allow the use of one interface at a time covering both input and output.

When the headphone out was plugged into the DI, I still heard the noise so I flipped the ground on the DI's XLR outputs and was greeted with silence.

Just thought I'd pass this on.

17. ken2esq

ken2esq TDPRI Member

I got a THR10 about a week ago, and I love it. I unpacked it in the dark, without reading manual, not even sure what the knobs did. Plugged it into the wall, plugged my guitar into it (a late 80s Yamaha strat clone, which coincidentally is cream / butter colored similar to the amp), and fiddled randomly with the knobs.

Suddenly, I was playing these really cool, ambient, echo-y tones, sort of like Cocteau Twins from the 80s? I bit more fiddling, and it was kind of U2-ish. I bit more, and it was kind of Pink Floyd-ish. I have hardly used any pedal fx, mostly just play through all tube amps (Vox or Mesa Boogie) and do classic rock or alt rock or grunge type tones. I've wanted to get pedals to help dial in some of these other types of tones, but have not yet gotten around to it. Now I can get an amazing range of tones from this tiny Yamaha.

Add to that, that it's portable (and can even run on batteries), that it has USB, that it can serve as bass amp, that it can be played really quiet without loss of tone, etc... All for less than $300. The volume goes past what I can use in my small home before I even get it halfway cranked, so it's got plenty of volume (though obviously not enough to gig with other musicians, plenty for busking or doing solo event at really small pub or coffeehouse or book store type setting).

Now, the growl / distortion tones still seem cold, sterile, tinny, does NOT compare to my real tube amps for that. But, then, those have to be cranked pretty loud -- near the limits of what I can do in my home or a bit past it -- before you really get good tone from them. So they have weaknesses, too.

So the Yamaha's strength is its amazing convenience, low prices, versatility, ability to play at low volume, mobility (carry it from room to room of your home, to the beach, to a park, etc.), and it's more spacey, unusual, sci-fi, ambient type tones. You can dial in some really interesting tones that will definitely stand out as original.

I was going to sell my Vox ac4c1, four watt all tube amp that was my prior "bedroom" home amp, because it still needed to be "loud" before it sounded good, and it was kind of bulky, hassle to carry from room to room, no built in fx. However, it still does kick the Yamaha's ass for really nice, warm, growly "tube" tones, so I may just hang onto it. That does not make it better, just apples versus oranges.

Ken

18. MegaCrasher

MegaCrasher TDPRI Member

Frank,

I have the very same problem with my THR10 and am on my second unit as well, with the same issue. I'd really like to hear the rest of your story. Did you figure out the cause of ringing? Did you end up getting a unit that didn't have this issue? Did you end up going with some other type of amp? Please let us know how it turned out, because there are quite of few of us out here with the same issue as you.

Thanks,
    Luke

19. MegaCrasher

MegaCrasher TDPRI Member

I have stumbled upon many a thread where someone has had the same technical issue I'm having with the THR10, so then I get hopeful that maybe I'll finally find out how to get it fixed, only to be disappointed that these people mysteriously vanish after a few posts, never returning to report on the solution to their problem. Knowing the major frustration of this experience, I vowed not to be "that guy," so here I am to report on the resolution to my issue with the THR10 making a constant ringing / oscillation noise.

I had a great tech at Yamaha. He had me take the unit to somewhere other than my own house to rule out some kind of interference in my home. I took the amp to my folks' place and jammed with my dad, and the amp was still making the same ringing sound there. Today I got back in touch with the Yamaha tech and he said it was a known issue with a batch of the THR10's where two wires on the board are too close to one another, causing the unwanted oscillation. He gave me the info for a local authorized repair shop and I'll be taking my THR in for repair this Monday. If you don't hear back from me, you can assume this indeed fixed my issue. I love this amp and I'm excited to know the issue is known and easily fixable!

So there you go... if you are that desperate searcher that I was when I first landed upon this thread, hopefully this gives you some hope.

MegaCrasher

20. MegaCrasher

MegaCrasher TDPRI Member

Father's Day

Hey again,

So, what do you guys think? My dad absolutely loved the THR10 when I brought it over, despite the ringing, so thinking of picking one up for him for Father's Day. Talked with mom and she agreed he would love to have one of these. He's in his 80s and while he's still a pretty strappin' guy for his age, I don't think he wants to be carrying around his 1960s Fender Princeton when he goes to jam with his buddies on Sundays. The thing is, he's a country player and I don't think he'd ever have any need for the high gain amps. In fact, he might accidentally dial one up and think the amp was broken, lol. For this reason, I'm wondering if the THR10C might be better for him. I only played with the C model for a little bit so I don't have much hands-on experience with it. For anyone who owns both or has played both, what do you think?

Thanks,
    MegaCrasher

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.