Yamaha THR 5 / 10 Club

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by simonc, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

Thanks for that video Hoodster. Really helpful to understand what the V2 update does. I have used my THR10 for not quite a year now and it has become indispensable. Not only as a guitar amp but also for a mixing reference box on small speakers.

2. Marshall_Stack

Marshall_Stack Friend of Leo's

I am not sure the update actually worked. Should there be a different icon on the computer? I am tempted to reset everything and try again.

3. Bargemule

Bargemule TDPRI Member

Just bought a 10C this weekend. I was planning on the SCX2, but it is just too loud for my purposes (and no headphone jack). Then I saw the THR, plugged into it and took one home.

One drawback for me, though obviously not a deal breaker, was lack of an extension speaker jack. The store manager described her Yamaha-sponsored trip to Japan and China to meet the THR development team. She said they specifically left this feature off because they put so much effort into the speaker system, they want people to use it rather than plug into some cab. Does sound sound pretty damn good!

Someone above mentioned running theirs through a Mustang. I wonder how. Are you using the headphone jack?

4. songofthewind

songofthewind Tele-Meister

I have used the headphone out into the fx return on my Roland BC60. Sounds fine to me.

5. Bargemule

Bargemule TDPRI Member

can anyone recommend a source for free backing tracks?

6. T-Bone

T-Bone Tele-Holic

I have a Roland Micro Cube and a Vox Mini5 already, so I'm not in a big hurry to buy another small modelling amp. BUT...

The THR5 is about half the weight of the Roland, and I'm thinking if it will do crazy-ass Hendrix feedback from an electric ukulele I'm in. So, can anybody who owns one of these tell me if they can get good feedback from one a THR5? Set up a feedback loop that will sustain itself?

7. Yanto

Yanto TDPRI Member

Hi. I'm really interested in buying a THR5. Only want it for practicing not recording or linking to laptop. Mainly play stuff like Springsteen, Petty, Hootie etc on Tele Classic Vibe. Is this a suitable amp please?

8. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

Yes .Headphone out to the Mustangs aux input .I agree with Yamaha that using extension speakers defeats its design parameters but the tones are so good that they are useful on a bigger amp .The small speakers are perfect for actual small room or recording where speaker size keeps all the volume levels down to a usable degree .I now have a Laney LC 15 with Eminence Legend in it which is awesome but its loud as hell though just about usable at home .The 10 inch speaker booms through the house whereas the Yamaha ,though it sounds good keeps the volume down and makes it quite loud in the actual room you are using but doesnt get a joshing from the family like the Laney does .It means I can play any time and still get a decent tone .I cant play the 15 watt Laney anywhere flat out .Even at jam sessions its still only on half with the drive turned up just over half way.It certainly does know how to rock though .:lol:

9. matt mcgriff

matt mcgriff TDPRI Member

I love mine for exactly what you describe. I play a lot of TP, not well mind you, and similar stuff on my THR5 using a CV50 tele, CV60 strat, Les Paul and a G&L ASAT Special. The little thing is fantastic. Great tones, from cleans to distortion at low levels. Just a great interface to practice with. A lot of times I sit on the edge of my bed and put the THR right in from of me. Works great. And so easy to just pick up and take with me if I'm going to play w a bud.

10. Yanto

Yanto TDPRI Member

Hi Matt. Appreciate the reply. Sounds like we have similar taste. Can I just ask, I understand that it's good at low volume. But how is it cranked up a bit? I like to play quite loudly sometimes!

11. nikola

nikola Tele-Meister

The small-ish speaker in the THRs are kinda designed to sound best at low volume.

Cranking it up, you will find that you will hit a point where it just cannot take it anymore. Don't get me wrong, I play it in my apartment and it can get loud enough for my neighbours to hear, just not loud enough in a band context.

My 2 cents

12. matt mcgriff

matt mcgriff TDPRI Member

It gets loud enough for just sitting there jamming. Haven't tried to play it against a drummer, etc, but it gets nice and loud for what it is.

13. Bargemule

Bargemule TDPRI Member

Yanto, I have a THR10C. It sounds amazing at low volumes, but you certainly can turn it up loud enough to fill a room. Unless you're going to play primarily acoustic instruments, I'd go with the 10C over the 5. Some very nice classic amp tones, great clean, dirt if you want it, loud enough, a good reverb.

14. voi666

voi666 TDPRI Member

hi everybody ... first time posting here (reading for a long time).

i'm on my second thr10c and having problems with an annoying, high pitched tone. the first one had the same problems. i'll be sending this one back on monday.

does it make sense to make them send me the third replacement or are the units flawed in general. i couldn't really find anything on this. anyone else having trouble?

i made a short video so that people know what i'm talking about ->

i used three different cables and two different guitars.

any help is appreciated.

thanks
    frank

15. Lsimy

Lsimy TDPRI Member

Carefully pick the amp and power supply up while it's on and the volume up and see if the noise changes. It could just be interference from a neighboring device. For that matter, take it to another room and try it.

My apartment does not have this noise but has a horrendous 60hz hum. No matter how quiet a guitar's pickups are in my place, it gets noisy. It is the nature of where I live unfortunately.

16. Chancerubbage

Chancerubbage Tele-Meister

The clicking nature makes me suspect a gsm phone, or perhaps Bluetooth. Folks are also less likely to suspect a fluorescent lamp since they have been in use in the incandescent bulb form factor

17. voi666

voi666 TDPRI Member

i just played it around the house in four different rooms ... no lights on, not near any electrical devices, no phone near the amp ... no change.

i searched around a bit and found this video ->

this guy has a standard thr10 with the exact same problem as my thr10c. he even unplugged and ran it on batteries, so faulty power supply is out.

18. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Have those of you with problems done either of the firmware update to reset to defaults?

Mine hasn't had any problems with original or updated firmware, and I still love the way this thing can make a guitar sound good at low volumes and in a small space while still giving you a nice playing dynamic. Add the other features and it's more awesome so I hope those with problems can get it fixed.

19. Yanto

Yanto TDPRI Member

Are these loud enough to fill a lounge 30ft x 15ft please?

20. nikola

nikola Tele-Meister

Any other instruments besides the electric guitar.?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.