Yamaha THR 5 / 10 Club

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by simonc, Aug 9, 2012.

1. andrew00

andrew00 TDPRI Member

Cheers for the helps. Do you feel either (which'll be the same for the 5 of course) can do 'bright clean'?

Aka can it do that thin jangley type clean - that Beatles etc kind of clean guitar, breaking up, with a bit of chime to it?

A lot of the samples I've seen online tend to be people being very flat clean or heavy rock, I can't find many people doing that classic 60s thin but not too overdriven, just enough to sparkle/jangle clean.

The 5 has both a twin and an ac30 setting which both seems good and should do that kind of sound in a tube. Not sure if the 10C has a Vox style, thou it has the Matchless?

What about the tape echo, is it any good or a bit rubbish? The Strymon El Cap I use atm is great, would be good to get something similar (i.e. good) without the faff heh.

2. SybotCB

SybotCB TDPRI Member

I have no personal experience with the thr5, i've played the thr10 in Guitar Center not with my guitar a few times. I've own a thr10c

I feel like the 10c can do a bright clean on the 'deluxe' setting, (blackface) But, it can't do that at very high volumes. You get over about halfway or so on the gain and you'll start to hear crunch on the models, with the deluxe setting, it goes a bit farther, but you still get crunch at about 3/4 or so, the master is modeling the master of the amp, so if you turn that up too high, you begin to get some power tube type crunch.

The deluxe model is the cleanest one on the 10c, the others break up much sooner.

I can't recall a jangly style vox on the 10c i think there's deluxe, us blues, maybe brit blues (which would be marshall I assume) and mini (which is a z), there's one other, but i can't remember it.

3. mpaar

mpaar NEW MEMBER!

First Post THR10 Tips

Hello All,

My first post. I got a THR10 for Christmas and it is just fantastic! Some comments referring to a bunch of earlier questions on this Owner's Club.

1. The THR Editor software has 35 different amp models to try. Hook up your THR via the supplied usb cable, open the editor, wait until the connected switch shows you are connected, click on one of the amps in the list at the left and play your guitar. Use the arrow down key to try the next amp. REALLY easy and you get to try a bunch of different sounds.

2. If you like any of the canned sounds all you need to do to put it into your THR is hold down one of the preset buttons until it shows its number in the tuner window. Now that sound is on that preset. You do need to be connected to your computer when you store the sound, but when you remove the THR from the computer the sound stays in the THR. Again, really cool.

3. Of course you can only store 5 presets at a time on the little beast.

4. Be sure to try out the Bass amps on your regular guitar. They sound quite interesting.

I am having a blast learning electric guitar with this THR10.

mikey

2013 Telecaster Standard, 1980 Martin HD28 Custom 15

4. harper1

harper1 NEW MEMBER!

How Yamaha thr-10 can be used for micing (shure SV100)?
    I have a micromixer MM1401 can I connect it to the guitar input or to Aux In of the amp and connecting my electro-acoustic guitar and mic to its inputs.
    Can I connect directly the mic to guitar IN or Aux IN
    Thanks

5. Andrew B.

Andrew B. TDPRI Member

6. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

I have started using my THR at jam sessions .At present through a mustang one .Ignore the head and stack in the photo ,its there to hold up the THR10C:DNot sure whether to get a new larger Mustang III, the one in the photo is shot but the aux input works OK,or go to a tube ,something like a Ibanez TS 15 head.Anyway it gives some great loud sounds and great tones as it is .:D

Attached Files:

7. andrew00

andrew00 TDPRI Member

Managed to get to play with the 5 and 10C today and left the shop with the 5!

I liked both but the 5 is smaller, lighter and cheaper and sounded every bit as good to me. Plus the v.2 'upgrade', whatever it actually is, suggests a product even better than the shop version so it swung it.

Actually the guy in the shop said the clean channel on the 5 v.2 is actually now the clean on the 10C, not sure if that's true but if so it just adds to it so that's cool!

8. tonedreamer

tonedreamer Tele-Holic

I really want the 10c. Seems like the perfect practice amp for home. I like the fact that you can plug in a mp3 player to it also. As soon as I sell my pro jr. , I'm getting one.

9. matt mcgriff

matt mcgriff TDPRI Member

I have a 5 and I love it. A great tool for practicing or carrying over to a buddy's place for a quick jam. I just bought my first bass and plugged it into the 5 last night, just to get a tone, to work through a few songs. Did the trick fine. I think it is a very unique tool that serves its purpose much better than many of the miniaturized amps that we have all been used to as practice amps. The THR doesn't try to be a "guitar amp".

10. Marshall_Stack

Marshall_Stack Friend of Leo's

I hadn't heard about this.
    What was the point of the update?

11. Andrew B.

Andrew B. TDPRI Member

I don't know. That's all the information I have.

12. harold h

harold h Friend of Leo's

Does anyone here gig with one?

My nephew used one twice last week in place of his usual amp/
    pedals. I think he said he miked it, but he is trying to figure out
    a way to run a line out.

13. songofthewind

songofthewind Tele-Meister

I've done the update. I think the amp sounds even better. The Brit Hi setting is now useable, not so ear splittingly piercing.
    I haven't used the Editor yet to send what they've done to the cab sims, which is where the changes have been made, I believe.
    Awesome little amp. I've run it into the FX return on my Roland Blues Cube, and it sounds great. In any case, I find it surprisingly loud by itself.
    So glad I got it!

14. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

headphone Out to console

15. tonedreamer

tonedreamer Tele-Holic

Joined the THR club today, brought home the 10C and have been having a lot of fun with this little amp. I like the class A setting. The spring reverb sounds really good too.

16. DropKick74

DropKick74 Tele-Meister

Just joined the THR10 Club this last weekend. I'd been looking at them for a while as my amps are too loud for my apartment and a new baby on the way. Friggin love this thing. I was really worried I'd miss the really deep editing functions that I got from something like an HD500 but I LOVE the simplicity. It gets me everything I need. All the more, since I'm not doing any playing out anymore, I've been using the THR to mess around with recording, something I've never ventured too far into.

So far my favorite setting is the Lead model with a touch of Hall verb. Using it with my les paul (epiphone) and I just feel like a rock star.

On the purchase: It was a floor model missing the cubase ai DVD so I got it for $250 out the door. Pretty happy with it as I have reason on my laptop already. Got it home, was happy with the sound as is, updated to v.2 and fell in love even more.

I think what makes me so happy with this thing is that I will always have a use for it. There will be no trading this thing in to help pay for my next amp or that next purchase. No matter how big/extravagant my church rig gets, I will always have a use for this guy on the side just to plug in and play. Also, I have to add that yamaha has me hoping they'll take this a bit farther (with their acquisition of Line6) I'm hoping we'll see a THR 50 in the future. Love the design of a modeler built w/ an FRFR rig inside rather than having to find the best amplification method.

Finally to wrap this thing up, it makes a great monitor for my laptop as well.

17. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire

One thing in the update is that the clean model is supposed to break up less,and less early. I'm too lazy to find the video, but basically they got a bunch of feedback, and used it in the new firmware. I haven't updated yet, but I'm happy there's a way to upgrade for us early adopters.

18. luis77

luis77 TDPRI Member

So, after some days, what do you think of the update. Improved the amp or not?

19. songofthewind

songofthewind Tele-Meister

The update definitely improved the amp, no question

20. Hoodster

Hoodster Friend of Leo's

I did the free download last night and the improvements are incredible, especially to the clean and British high gain models. This is a HUGE freebie from Yamaha.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.