Yamaha THR 5 / 10 Club

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by simonc, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Noclue

Noclue TDPRI Member

I just received my THR10C today. I don't play high-gain stuff and like some blues so I thought this would be the best fit for me.
    Interestingly it's the Deluxe model and clean part of the Class A I like the most right now. If the other models were'nt there I'd still say the 10C is worth it.

The rest sounds bit boxy to me, but of course there's lots of possibilities to tweak the settings and find some that are useful to me. The effects are really great and while playing around with them you hear a lot of classic tracks in your head. Nirvana, Marillion, Metallica, .. they're all there this tiny little box.

The USb and AUX input cables that come with it could've been a bit longer but that's okay, they're not expensive. Tried to feed the phones output into the fx return of my VHT Special 6 Ultra. It works but creates quite some hum...

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  2. Scantron08

Scantron08 Tele-Afflicted

Joined last night. Picked it over the Roland Microcube GX and the ZT Lunchbox after comparing the three.

I got the guy at Guitar Sinner to knock 60 bucks off of the price, in part because there was no power adapter in the box.

What I'm wondering is, will any old 15v power adapter do? Or do I need to get the specific Yamaha one - the EADP-38EB A (or possibly the UIB345-1530)? I have heard of early versions having bad buzzing problems from a faulty power adapter.

Here's a longer post I made on my decision earlier today, if you're interested - probably should have put it here instead:

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/amp-central-station/372318-nad-yamaha-thr10.html#post5513572

3. 13ontheB

13ontheB Tele-Afflicted

4. SybotCB

SybotCB TDPRI Member

I am not an expert, but I believe that the 'faulty' power adapters were 15v DC power adapters that were ungrounded. If you can find one that is grounded. I think it will take the noise away.

I don't know what Yamaha would charge for one. If you wait till I get home late tonight, I can look up the FCC ID on mine and maybe you can find out who makes it, and if they make it for any other applications.

5. Scantron08

That'd be killler. Thanks! Should have figured any help from fellow Mississippians would likely come from Oxford.

6. SybotCB

SybotCB TDPRI Member

Didn't even notice you were from Jackson. *facepalm* The reason I won't be home till later tonight is we have the BBall game against Auburn tonight, but I'm heading to it right after work.

7. Scantron08

You read my mind - I was actually going to ask if you were going. I have a late meeting, unfortunately, and I won't catch the live broadcast, but I'm recording it - don't give away the outcome in your next post!

8. macdog

macdog Tele-Holic

Mine didn't work either. It wouldn't register no matter what I tried.

9. Oxfordchris

Oxfordchris TDPRI Member

Had a nice email from Yamaha tech support,asked to send back the DVD and they willsend me a new one, will try again and report here.
    Chris

10. Scantron08

Is this for UK customers only? If not, would you mind sharing their email address here or via PM?

Thanks.

11. briseus

briseus TDPRI Member

I gave myself a THR5 for christmas. I've tried it with two wildly different guitars, my tele and my strat. With the tele the sound get a bit to shrill for my taste, especially with the bridge pickup. With the strat I get a more satisfying sound. I specially like the Clean and Crunch modes. A really nice practise amp.

12. Oxfordchris

Oxfordchris TDPRI Member

Yes it was the UK site.This is the USA one http://usa.yamaha.com/support/contact/
    Hope that helps

13. SybotCB

SybotCB TDPRI Member

BTW: I looked at it this weekend. There isn't any type of U.S. markings on the transformer for the THR10 Nearly everything on the label is in Japanese. There is no FCC:ID no. Nothing. I'm not 100% sure that's legal but I'm not a Lawyer. I just thought everything that had a potential to have electric interference had to be tested.

Sorry I'm not a bigger help. If anything it's 15 V, center positive, I can't remember the current though. The wall cord did have a ground in it though.

14. johnnyha

johnnyha Tele-Afflicted

I got a THR5 today from Austin Bazaar. I tried it out on battery power for about an hour today and I loved it!

15. Oxfordchris

Oxfordchris TDPRI Member

Cubase DVD

Recieved new DVD from Yamaha UK today,now all I have to do is learn how to use the software!

16. goonie

goonie Friend of Leo's

How odd, three months in and the clean setting has become my go-to! Guess I just had to learn how to twiddle the knobs.
    Haven't used the Editor for ages. Actually had forgotten about it. Must plug in the USB again.
    So for $250 total I have two legendary amps in hand - the THR5 and the Pathfinder15R. Tubes Schmubes!

17. kend

kend Tele-Meister

18. andrew00

andrew00 TDPRI Member

Hey, I'm looking for a small practise amp to fit my tiny apartment and am keen on the Yamaha THR series.

There's two of interest - the THR 5 and the THR 10C - I was wondering if anyone had any opinion of the two for my usage.

I play either surf type music with clean guitars, reverb and tape echo.

I also play late 60's/early 70's garage rock - bands like the Velvet Underground and The Modern Lovers.

I find it hard to describe the sound b/c it's technically not clean, but I like things like a Fender clean breaking to overdrive and a bright chimey Vox type sound. So not 'clean' per se, just not distorted, I don't really like that 'rock' distorted sound.

The THR5 seems to have a Fender and a Vox mode so that's cool, and it's cheaper and smaller!

The THR10C seems to be suited to cleans so that's interesting, and it has a tape echo and tape+rev setting which is intriguing. However I'm concerned it'd be 'too' clean, i.e. as I said I don't technically like cleans, I like cleans that dirty up, and I don't like distortion.

Anyone used these two and have any thoughts? I'll post some examples of songs I like the tone of before that I'd like to be somewhat in the ballpark of. Essentially that 60s/70s guitar that is cleanish but breaking up, thinnish and trebly before things got too pedally heh.

Thanks in advance!

Tone examples

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPt5LCQx5pU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGqwy_DQnS4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjynIAeh1tU

19. simonc

simonc Friend of Leo's

Well, I ended up selling my THR to a friend, so I know it's in good hands...I needed the cash for an acoustic purchase.
    I still believe this is THE practise / recording amp.

S.

20. SybotCB

SybotCB TDPRI Member

I have the THR10C, and it is definitely not too clean. I actually like dirt pretty well too, but the THR10 although it had some crunch, also had a couple of 'metal' modes with super high gain.

The THR10C basically gives you a couple more 'cleanish' settings, but every one of the models will still break up with high gain and master volume (I'm talking about the modeled gain and master, not the 'guitar output' actual volume put out by the 10C)

That Mini Z model will even get you into Fuzz.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.