Yamaha Pacifica bridge problem. Help!

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by eGlife, Jan 29, 2020.

1. eGlife

eGlife TDPRI Member

[​IMG] IMG_20200129_162051.jpg IMG_20200129_161011.jpg IMG_20200129_160921.jpg IMG_20200127_112653.jpg Hello everyone, this is my first thread so please let me know if I did something wrong.
    Recently I purchased a used Yamaha Pacifica 612v (2004 MiJ) with r1000v tremolo bridge. As I was trying to set it up I noticed something odd on the bridge. One of the studs holding the bridge is coming out from the body, causing on side of the bridge to be tilted a little. Also the same sides stud screw allen key hole is rounded off, so I cannot adjust or take it off. What would you recommend for me to do?
    I already tried to contact Yamaha about replacement screws, but didn't get a reply from them. I found some replacement screws from China, which are cheap and I doubt they will be any good. Should I just tap it in with a hammer?
    Please help me!

2. jackal

jackal Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

It will probably come out with a pair of pliers, but will mess it up appearance wise. You should be able to match the stud and or screw at any decent hardware store, but I would look closely at the hole as it most likely needs some work. Maybe a dowel fix. Might have a hard time matching with an allen, so figure on buying two with matching heads. Go slow, and give it a good looking over. The hammer idea is probably not a good idea.

boredguy6060 and Deathray like this.
  3. eGlife

eGlife TDPRI Member

So what I understand is that I should also take off the stud? Are you thinking the stud hole actually expanded?
    I'll check the nearest hardware store.

boredguy6060 likes this.
  4. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Hi @eGlife
    You’ve probably noticed the Allen key bolts are recessed between the head and the threads to accommodate the edge of the tremolo plate so you’ll need specially machined bolts for that. Since it’s a Wilkinson bridge, I would reach out to Wilkinson to get the appropriate parts. With the strings and springs removed, you should be able to easily unthread the stud.

On that subject, when you are adjusting height on a 2 point bridge, you should loosen your strings so that the edge of the tremolo and the recess in the 2 points aren’t forced into each other. That way you won’t prematurely wear out the knife edge.

Regarding the stud insert post’s coming out of the body, I would remove the bridge and then with the stud inserted but backed out enough to give you leverage, I would find out how loose it really is. Tapping it back in might work if everything is still tight. If it’s loose then you’ll need to determine what your next step is. If it’s really loose you may need to drill it and repair it with a dowel as @jackal suggested.

5. eGlife

eGlife TDPRI Member

Hello @awasson ,
    Firstly thank you for your reply.
    I noticed that I will need special bolt for the bridge. I contacted Yamaha but without success. I will try to contact Wilkinson, I didn't know that the bridge was produced by them.
    I actually already took the bridge out and tried to unthread the bolt, but without succes. Maybe it's stuck and I pulled the stud trying to get it unthreaded, because I noticed that the stud is out after I put everything back together.
    One side of the knife edge is a little worn out already. I got the guitar used so I think previous owner didn't take good care of it.
    So I am thinking now maybe just try to tap the stud back on it's place for a while and after some time to upgrade the whole bridge to Wilkinson vs100. Is it a good idea? I like the guitar and planning to keep it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.