1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Yamaha Pacifica 311S/311MS neck thickness

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Tele Daniele, Jan 22, 2021.

1. Tele Daniele

Tele Daniele NEW MEMBER!

Hello,

first of all hello everybody and let me say I'm glad to be here, it certainly feels like home. This is my first post on this forum. You might suspect I'm a huge telecaster fan but before I finally buy one (Fender AVRI, sorry I'm a total snob Telewise) I'm considering buying one of those pretty Yamaha Pacifica 311s as a solid working guitar which would be less problematic for bringing to a gig and leaving in the backstage without security guard.

I am a fan of Yamahas as well, I know from the first hand that they make great instruments, I own several of them but I'm aware of the fact that Pacificas in general tend to have slimmer necks, which in general are not really my cup of tea.

13-3/4" fretboard radius is something I can handle as it's not so far away from Gibson's 12" but combined with thin neck this is something that steers me away from contemporary Pacificas.

I would be very thankful if someone could tell me the exact thickness of 311S/311MS neck in mm at 1s and 12th fret, that is something that is always written in Yamaha guitars specs. I know that these Pacificas have their service manuals and these data are, among other data, on its last page.

Best regards,
    Danijel

2. Cam

Cam Friend of Leo's

Sorry, I can't answer your question, but welcome to the forum.

Tele Daniele likes this.
  3. kaludjerko

kaludjerko Tele-Meister

Wellcome to the forum.
    I measured PAC311s, thickness at 1st fret 20.4mm and width 40.5mm.
    I usually like thicker and wider necks, but this one is somehow still comfortable.
    More info bellow:
    https://www.tdpri.com/threads/guitar-neck-dimensions-database.995629/

If you're Yamaha fan, you know what you get for your money. This one didn't disappoint.

Tele Daniele likes this.
  4. Tele Daniele

Tele Daniele NEW MEMBER!

Thank you very much for the info.

I think that these measures tell me that this guitar really has a too thin neck for my current taste (I wasn't that picky some years ago) and I'm a little bit sad because I like the guitar visually and I'm confident it's a quality guitar. But at least I solved one dilemma and now I can turn my search energy to some other subject with more traditional neck which is hopefully of the same quality and similar used price.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.