Yamaha Guitar Owner's Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by rangercaster, Jun 12, 2009.

1. Tubeboy

Tubeboy Tele-Meister

I have a Fender 72 Telecaster Thinline reissue that had a clouding issue near the front and back strap buttons. After a while the clear finish started to peel off. Long story short Fender replaced the body under warranty kudos to Fender for their customer service. I never realized how thick the clear finish is it seemed to be 1/8 of an inch thick l can see why people prefer nitro finishes over polyurethane choking out your tone.

2. Tubeboy

Tubeboy Tele-Meister

I have a Revstar 620 the first night I got it I brought it to practice and played it through my Ac10 and a Love pedal Purple Plexi our singer even commented on how good it sounded. I usually play through a Kemper which sounds fantastic but the little Vox kicks ass and it's very portable .

3. horax

horax Tele-Afflicted

I keep getting frustrated.
    I have a Taylor GC3 guitar, but my Yamaha A3R actually has better tone, feel, and playability.

Shouldn't be the case according to the intrawebs, but it is. I love it.

wblynch, savofenno and Alonious_Monk like this.
  4. Keefsdad

Keefsdad Tele-Holic

I love my FGX800C. I paid $300 Canadian very slightly used.

savofenno likes this.
  5. savofenno

savofenno Tele-Afflicted

How does it happen? Are pickups covered with thick poly?
    I fear you are believing in old sayings, never tested in reality.

6. savofenno

savofenno Tele-Afflicted

And my Fender CP-100 parlor sounds light years better than what old prejudices about Fender acoustics are saying. Yes, in 60`s they were not much, but we are living in other times now.

horax likes this.
  7. GeekPriest

GeekPriest Tele-Meister

I just bought a Pacifica 120S Tele-style Yamaha, in HH configuration, white color. It has no pickguard. Does anyone know of a place that sells a pickguard already cut for this model?

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
  8. darren7

darren7 Tele-Holic

I could be wrong, but I believe the lower horn of the Pacifica single-cutaway and dual-cutaway guitars is the same, so a pickguard for any X20 Pacifica should fit.

Totally inaccurate, non-scientific comparison:

Screen Shot 2018-10-18 at 4.38.02 PM.png

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
    savofenno, RoyBGood and GeekPriest like this.
  9. balston11

balston11 Tele-Meister

The 120s isn't meant to have a pickguard

savofenno, GeekPriest and RoyBGood like this.
  10. Duffman

Duffman TDPRI Member

Well ....an update
    I took the FG180 in to Ken Newfield at Cosmo Music in Toronto and he di a bang up job at lowering the action with little expense. It still sounds great, and has a new action that is quite playable with no fret buzz and little alteration to the original parts. I now have essentially a new guitar .
    Cheers P1000071.JPG

brookdalebill and wblynch like this.
  11. Anita Bonghit

Anita Bonghit Tele-Meister

I'm about to purchase a Yamaha 611vfw but still have a few questions. I have not been able to find a dealer to actually play one at in my area. Maybe some of yo are familiar with the model and can answer these questions.
    1) I've heard the necks on the chunky side ? They refer to it as a soft C, never heard of that myself.
    2) I've heard the P90 is kinda gritty soundy.
    3) I've heard the Wilkinson Trem is not very sensitive and requires a little more force than other trems.
    So I'm hoping the neck is not chunky, the neck pick up clean, and the trem plays like buttah....
    Can anybody give me a little advice or their opinion. Thank you

12. Keefsdad

Keefsdad Tele-Holic

I bought an FGX800C in January, amazing guitar for little $.

13. ahnadr

ahnadr TDPRI Member

darren7 likes this.
  14. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

On mine the neck is medium to slim, not chunky. Wilkinson trem is awesome with judicious adjustment. I like the Duncan Design P90 in the neck and The splittable Duncan Design PAF style HB in the bridge. Image1541741904.325752.jpg Image1541741937.427696.jpg Image1541741964.137689.jpg

doggy1972, Anita Bonghit and Mincer like this.
  15. Anita Bonghit

Anita Bonghit Tele-Meister

Thanks so much, really appreciate it. You helped me make up my mind to go for it. MF has them for $599 but told me they would be discounted soon, so biding my time.

16. doggy1972

doggy1972 Tele-Meister

Yamaha AES 420 with a slight facelift. Cheap guitar that punches massively above its weight. IMG_0766-1SMALL.jpg

telestratosonic and darren7 like this.
  17. balston11

balston11 Tele-Meister

doggy1972 and telestratosonic like this.
  18. doggy1972

doggy1972 Tele-Meister

Thanks for the link. I did try and make it look a bit more like the AES620. Also, the PRS SE 245 which, I think it bears some resemblance to. The 420 is a little spartan in stock form.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
  19. darren7

darren7 Tele-Holic

I love mine, and need to get it back to proper playing condition. It’s actually solved my PRS SE hankering for now.

I really like the design of the beveled top on the AES guitars, rather than the not-really-beveled-but-not-really-a-carved-top on the SE line. The weight, balance, and neck shape on the AES420 are great, and the stoptail bridge is ingenious.

doggy1972 likes this.
  20. doggy1972

doggy1972 Tele-Meister

IMG_0778-1Small.jpg
    I've had mine years and, it was always used as a backup at jam sessions. A friend of mine was so impressed, he bought the AES620. We played both side by side and surprisingly, the 420 was the better guitar. It may have been the set up but, it was more lively acoustically and the wraparound bridge suited the design better. The control layout also worked better for me. Build quality was the same which, being a Yamaha is excellent and, a step above Epiphone for example. Never needed to dress the frets or do too much work aside from a general setup.
    The Yamaha bucker in the bridge is rude as hell but, the neck pickup never really worked for me so, in went the bucker sized p90. I think this works quite well.
    IMHO they missed a trick with the 420. Aesthetically it was a little too bland from the factory to appeal to its target market. With cream rings and knobs from stock, it would have sold far better. Maybe a couple more different colours too (although the Candy apple looks quite nice from some angles)
    One thing to note is that, if you look in the neck pickup route you can see that it actually has a long neck tenon that Paul fans rave about. And, I agree the bridge is a nice touch. It intonates really well and, I've never had any issues.
    Next it will get some Grovers although, there isn't anything wrong with the stock tuners.
    In all, it's a great guitar that's a bit of an LP Junior killer.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
    darren7 and telestratosonic like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.