Yamaha G50-112, Bum Distortion Channel?

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by Loudog99, Oct 8, 2019.

1. Loudog99

Loudog99 Tele-Holic

79A541F3-46C7-4257-B6F6-0241440E1009.jpeg

Just picked up this amp for $100 from FB marketplace. Very good condition and the clean tone is excellent, as is the spring reverb. However, the distortion channel isn’t working the way I think it’s supposed to. YouTube clips show that it’s more of a fuzz tone, but even with the distortion turned up all the way it sounds like a slight clean boost at best.

Any ideas what I can look at? I know zero about amp circuits, but do my own guitar electronics work. Is it worth having it checked out or should I just enjoy the clean channel and use pedals for dirt.

2. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

Buddy of mine has a G100...IMO ...
    Even when it works it's not very good distortion ... Spend your bucks on pedals to get your sound ... They take pedals well ... Also dependent on input level ...

Loudog99 likes this.
  3. Loudog99

Loudog99 Tele-Holic

Thnx Ranger. I’ll likely do as you suggest and just use dirt pedals. Love the cleans.

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  4. wabashslim

wabashslim Tele-Holic

I'll second that. I had a G100, the distortion was awful.

5. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

The Distortion ( not a channel so much as dialing crappy distortion into the clean sound) always sounded lame- too ' flabby/ fizzy' at low level, to sound like OD, and not strong enough cranked to sound like a strong distortion.

I'd keep it OFF, and just toggle between a good clean Amp tone and try out a few pedals that complement, actually with pedal's Gain UP ( so that pedal is actually providing distortion, not really overdriving amp ) and match pedal Volume to be just a little louder than Clean amp volume. I just had better luck this way with SS amps.
    I think a Tube Screamer ( Drive UP) may sound good?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.