Yamaha FG love.

Wildeman

Tele-Afflicted
I just gotta say, old FGs are killer, I know it's no secret but I get so much outta these instruments, way more than their monetary value would make you think. They're 50 year old instruments though so if you're gonna get one, play it first. My '71-3 FG160 and my '68-9 FG 230, LOVE'em......
IMG_20221202_170222665.jpg

bender66

Poster Extraordinaire
I've got a variety, up to a black label 160. Shouldnt have sold the 75. Still have a 110, 110E, & 330. Researching FG's is how I found TDPRI actually.
Love the baseball bat neck on my 160.

kuch

Friend of Leo's
Great guitars! I had a Nippon Gakki MIJ FG 130 back in the early 70's and I think a FG 180 12 string in the 90's. Loved the sound!

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Always wanted an FG, as a few of my friends have '70's ones that have comfy, round necks, and fantastic 'thumpy' ( but not 'woofy' ) bass. Great 'players' plus love the look of nice Mahogany bodies

39martind18

Friend of Leo's
Before acquiring my avatar, I had a Yammie FG230 12-string that was stolen, and then I replaced it with an FG180. Both guitars were very good instruments that I happily performed with for the two years it took for me to persuade the original owner of my avatar to sell it to me. The FG180 was given to a female acquaintance in the hope for certain romantic considerations after I obtained my avatar, so it could be said with a fair amount of accuracy that I enjoyed that guitar while I had it and after it got a new home.

Wildeman

Tele-Afflicted
Before acquiring my avatar, I had a Yammie FG230 12-string that was stolen, and then I replaced it with an FG180. Both guitars were very good instruments that I happily performed with for the two years it took for me to persuade the original owner of my avatar to sell it to me. The FG180 was given to a female acquaintance in the hope for certain romantic considerations after I obtained my avatar, so it could be said with a fair amount of accuracy that I enjoyed that guitar while I had it and after it got a new home.
I had to sell my Martin J40 in rougher times and was able to keep enough to buy my FG160 out of the deal, I was very happy to find it and it still satisfies me to play it, even though I've got Martins again. I love beautiful, expensive guitars just like everyone but I find comfort in knowing I can be happy with some very affordable stuff. A FG160, Affinity Tele and a Peavey Bandit and I'm set😉

Freeman Keller

Doctor of Teleocity
Old Yamies are wonderful guitars, I have one that I bought new in 1970. But, and this is a big but, most of them need neck resets and they are very difficult (but not impossible) to reset. The old 12 strings are even worse. I've done mine and can show pictures, but they are not for the faint of heart.

Attachments

• scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 12

Wildeman

Tele-Afflicted
Old Yamies are wonderful guitars, I have one that I bought new in 1970. But, and this is a big but, most of them need neck resets and they are very difficult (but not impossible) to reset. The old 12 strings are even worse. I've done mine and can show pictures, but they are not for the faint of heart.
I have read this, something about too much glue, sticking the heel to the sides? Luckily both of mine are fine, a bridge Dr. brought the 12 string into an acceptable action range, I also run medium strings tuned to B on it.
I think if I was to do a reset on one, with all I've heard, I would do the Kung Fu bolt on treatment.

39martind18

Friend of Leo's
I had to sell my Martin J40 in rougher times and was able to keep enough to buy my FG160 out of the deal, I was very happy to find it and it still satisfies me to play it, even though I've got Martins again. I love beautiful, expensive guitars just like everyone but I find comfort in knowing I can be happy with some very affordable stuff. A FG160, Affinity Tele and a Peavey Bandit and I'm set😉
Interestingly enough, the prices posted for the FG Yamahas, in a lot of cases (guitar pun), are as much or more than I paid for my 1939 D18 back then ($425). Of course, that was 50 years ago, so...

hd09

Tele-Holic
I learned to play on a fg160, my first guitar 1973. That guitar saw a lot of miles. It did have a fat neck and a good tone. Gave it to my daughter 25 years ago.

Freeman Keller

Doctor of Teleocity
Interestingly enough, the prices posted for the FG Yamahas, in a lot of cases (guitar pun), are as much or more than I paid for my 1939 D18 back then ($425). Of course, that was 50 years ago, so...
Old Yamies have kind of a cult following. For many of us aging hippies they were our first guitars and we have that bit of nostalgia. In spite of the fact that most were made of laminated woods ("Lamie Yamie") many did sound pretty good - for one thing they were lightly built. Some folks are willing to spend a fair amount of money to capture their youth, as I said before if you find one with good geometry they can be a lot of fun.

bottlenecker

Poster Extraordinaire
Old Yamies have kind of a cult following. For many of us aging hippies they were our first guitars and we have that bit of nostalgia. In spite of the fact that most were made of laminated woods ("Lamie Yamie") many did sound pretty good - for one thing they were lightly built. Some folks are willing to spend a fair amount of money to capture their youth, as I said before if you find one with good geometry they can be a lot of fun.

Also Elliot Smith pushed the prices up a lot on the red labels.

teletina

Tele-Meister