1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Yamaha electrics anyone ?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by AJ Ray, Oct 3, 2020.

1. AJ Ray

AJ Ray Tele-Meister

Does anyone have any experience with yamaha electrics ? I noticed my local store had many of these the other day when I was in. Not sure of exact models etc as it was a fleeting visit. But they did look beautiful from the floor. Might try some out once restrictions lift.

Cheers

2. Piotr

Piotr Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I really liked a Pacifica with the P90 at the neck. The Revstars are also interesting:

3. kaludjerko

kaludjerko Tele-Meister

My avatar guitar is Mike Stern "budget" model, that i loaded with Lace alumitone pickups and changed frets to stainless. Yamaha makes fantastic guitars and are not burdened with familiar designs like some more popular brands.
    If you do not have to have fender and/or gibson, do try them. You might really like them.

Fretting out likes this.
  4. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

My oldest electric is an AES-800. I've had it since about 1994. Versatile 2HB with a 5-way and IMO narrow neck.

My first electric was an SSC-500. That one had some bad vibes as some asshat took a big chunk out of the headstock the day I bought it. I was probably an OK guitar but I unloaded it last year.

BB and richiek65 like this.
  5. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I had a Yamaha SBG 500, from the early 80s that was hands down the best Les Paul style I’ve ever played. Not really and LP guy so I eventually sold it. No regrets, but it was a fine instrument.

brookdalebill, Obsessed and richiek65 like this.
  6. richiek65

richiek65 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

My AEX520 has the most gorgeous mini humbuckers. IMG_20200515_124740.jpg

7. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Afflicted

I have a Yamaha SG-700s, it's a great guitar.

richiek65 likes this.
  8. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Yamaha, more that any other maker, has consistent high quality of parts and workmanship across their entire line from "starter" guitars all the way up through their pro custom shop stuff.

Their Pacifica line is amazingly good. I could say, "...for the money," but that's not really a qualifier in this case. They're simply amazingly good, and they are also inexpensive.

The only other brand that's in the same league is the PRS SE line.

9. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Afflicted

When I was younger back in the '90s, I gigged for years with a cheap Pacifica 112 with an SD Distortion bridge. It was always reliable. I sold it back in the early 2000s when I came over stateside.

I missed it, so I bought its cheap cousin, a Yamaha Eg112c2 as a beater testing guitar. I reconfigured it so it could play bass at the same time. It's so reliable as Yamahas are!

10. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

i love the looks of the single cut pacifica they used to make, both body and headstock. not everybody likes them, but i think they are a cool variation on the telecaster.

Tony Forman and Fretting out like this.
  11. richbike

richbike Tele-Meister

Yamaha might not be the most glamorous brand but they dont make crap be it guitars keyboards or bikes.

Deathray, Fiesta Red, Flakey and 2 others like this.
  12. richbike

richbike Tele-Meister

i have one. its pretty good

13. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Same here. I had an '81 SG800 that was far better than any LP that I have ever tried and the best built electric that I have ever owned.

teleplayr, Norris Vulcan and mkdaws32 like this.
  14. JRapp

JRapp Tele-Meister

I have had two of the lawsuit Les Pauls---a Studio Lord and a Lord Player. The latter is an upgraded model with better woods and hardware. Kinda heavy and has a thinner neck than I normally use, but they didn't spare the details down to the thin vintage style thumbwheels. A really nice sounding LP clone.

DDickens likes this.
  15. Norris Vulcan

Norris Vulcan Tele-Afflicted

In my opinion Yamaha make the best electric guitars out there. Quality control, sound, fit and finish, consistency....

SG_05.jpg

My 1984 SG2000S, in very dark jade green. Ebony 'board, coil taps, great pickups. But heavy - well, LP heavy. If I could only keep one guitar, it would be this - covers 90% of what I need.
    And it cost me £350/$445 lightly used. Shame the secret is out of the bag nowadays.
    I really like the look of the RevStar but I've got this so...

16. Stratdan

Stratdan TDPRI Member

Yamaha Weddington Custom. Really great guitars. Difficult to find these days. This one almost matches my flame maple cab on my SFPR.

YamWed.jpg

Sybo, Togman, Treynor and 6 others like this.
  17. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Afflicted

I've read complaints about the Yamaha SG's being heavy.

My 700s is like feather compared to my Les Paul.

18. KATT

KATT Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I had a '78 Sg1000. Great guitar but too heavy for me to gig with for extended periods of time.

I've also had a Pacific 912 which came with Dimarzio pickups. Well made guitar but tonally dead. Perhaps something to do with the odd way the neck attached to the body via some odd metal plate.

I had a Pacifica 812w which had Seymour Duncans and a Wilkinson Vs100 vibrato. Great guitar in terms of build and spec for the money, but the neck was too thin for my liking and it sounded a bit thin too.

Finally, I had a Mike Stern Pacifica 1511ms which I really wanted to love as on paper, it looked ideal. A hot Tele with '59 in the neck and hot rails in the bridge. Again, I couldn't fault the build quality but it was just somewhat uninspiring for some reason.

Despite not having found a Yamaha I've loved yet, I would still consider buying another as I really think they are a good quality brand.

lupowitz likes this.
  19. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

Their old SGs and SAs are world class.

20. Tony Forman

Tony Forman Tele-Meister

I wish Yamaha would make more Tele inspired guitars.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.