1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Yamaha amps

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by misterbluesman, May 24, 2012.

1. SemiHollowGuy

SemiHollowGuy TDPRI Member

I also was a HUGE fan of the G50-112II. I had one for years. Actually had gotten to it by way of (first) a G100-212II, then a G100-210II, then a G100-112II and finally the G50-112II. Best amp I ever owned. Miss it tremendously to this day. I had loaded it with an EVM-12L and that made all the difference in the world. I was a full time pro back in the day and that amp saw many, many miles and gigs. Yep it was HEAVY (particularly so after putting in the EV 12!) But it was a great amp.

Recently found one on CL and just waiting the FedEx to deliver it. We'll see...

2. Timi*

Timi* TDPRI Member

SemiHollowGuy that's awesome. Are you going to grab an EV for the new one once you get it? I've heard of others going for that same speaker in their G50's as well... got me interested for sure.

3. SemiHollowGuy

Already found one on ebay and bought it. I expect the amp will be here before the EV arrives. I just love the EVM-12L for guitar. They have a mid bump that starts about 400hz rise to 5 db at 600 hz mids more or less stay up and then at 5khz the top end rolls off pretty quickly. It's down 10 db by 7khz. I the response curve works REALLY well for guitar. I never liked the Celestions or the Eminence... Too rough/too strident at the upper end. (IMHO)

4. 62 Jazzmaster

62 Jazzmaster Friend of Leo's

I've got a THR5 & THR10C, perfect for home practise.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. sulaco

sulaco Tele-Meister

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but the thread I started years ago got zero traction.

In my closet sits one of Jack Pearson's old G50 112II with a 60's Altec Lansing speaker in it.

Turns on, but puts out no sound. Have never figured out what was wrong with it. I can't get sound out of it via the speaker or going external, or with the effects loop.

I do remember when this amp worked it sounded fantastic.

6. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

Jazzmaster, what's the name of this guitar model again? I had one like that but with a set neck, not the neck-through. It was great guitar until I ruined it with a kahler tremolo ... the 80s ... ;-)

7. Timi*

Timi* TDPRI Member

I had this happen one time with mine. It was 25 ago, but if I remember correctly, it was because I had naively plugged it into a speaker cab with the wrong impedance and blew one of the transformers... probably the output. is yours making any sound at all, like a hum or slight hiss? If so, that would not be the problem.

8. 62 Jazzmaster

62 Jazzmaster Friend of Leo's

Yamaha SC600

9. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

10. SemiHollowGuy

To follow up, the G50-112II arrived and cosmetically its in pretty dam good condition considering it's age. However it does have a couple of issues I'm looking for some help on. I describe everything here.

Also I'm wondering if anyone knows of any mods for this amp. I don't recall any from back in the day and Google doesn't to find anything but maybe someone here knows something...

Any/All help is appreciated.

Michael

11. Timi*

Timi* TDPRI Member

Michael, my money is on the DeOxit for those pull switches as a first strategy. Do the switches when you do the knobs.

12. Timi*

Timi* TDPRI Member

Installed a vintage JBL k120 in my G50-112II today. My amp tech had it sitting out in his shop when I went by to do a V4B mod on my Ampeg V4. One of his other customers was looking to sell the speaker out of his Twin to get something lighter.... uh... SOLD!!!

So this sounds pretty rockin.

I feel like this really brought clarity to the highs... and a much more pronounced midrange. Believe it or not, I think I'm hearing less bass though. Very likely the amp can't push it as hard as the original JA3066. Not sure how I feel about that yet.

FYI I had to drill new bolt holes for it to fit. Liking it so far, but I ain't gonna get rid of the old one!!!

Attached Files:

13. Slidedude

Slidedude Tele-Holic

Sat and listened to a guy playing thru a G50-112 once. His tone was killer. Of course Jack Pearson could make a Heathkit amp sound like a million bucks....:)

"Emotion is much more important than making mistakes, so be prepared to look like a chump. If you become too guarded and too processed, the music loses its spontaneity and gut feeling” - Jeff Beck

14. SemiHollowGuy

I finished cleaning the pots on the Yamaha G50-112II and it made all the difference. Everything is SILENT now. (Yeah!) I also loaded in the EVM-12L. Haven't been able to play with any volume yet (ridiculously sensitive neighbors - Cops here a couple times already) But I know from my old G50II the EV really works well for me/my tone in this amp. Also in taking everything apart I found out one of the verb springs was lying in the bottom of the tank. Don't see how one could solder that back. So went to eBay and found a brand new one (same make/model) for $25! Other than the price of Gibson guitars I am stunned at how inexpensive so much of the gear has gotten. Wish these had been the prices back in the day. I would had MUCH more gear.

I also cleaned the pots on my Dean Markley RM-80-DR and it's working SILENT now also. In taking the DM apart I did note that 1-12 cabinet is built SOLIDLY. Wow, nice construction. Actually far better than the Yammy. As the G50II needs new tolex it might make sense to build a new cabinet for it and do it to the standards of the DM. We;ll see...

JayFreddy likes this.
  15. rave

rave Tele-Holic

Got a b212 100 watt in my garage in Los Angeles. Play through it about one a year. Very loud and clean but I just don't need it anymore.

16. Timi*

Timi* TDPRI Member

17. Timi*

Timi* TDPRI Member

Post a clip of the tones you're getting if you can! Would be fun to hear and compare.

18. DaddyG

DaddyG Tele-Meister

Last year as I was just getting on CL an ad for a G100 III popped up. I called the guy and he couldn't believe it because he said he had just posted the ad. He wanted $25 and I said that I'd be right there. Then he hesitated and told me to get in touch with him the next day. Then he reposted it for $40 and I got it. I cleaned it and it looked like it had never been used. Not one thing wrong with it. I use it for jazz and it is as quiet as can be. Maybe my best all time purchase in terms of value.

JayFreddy likes this.
  19. SemiHollowGuy

I've been reading in several places about the need to replace the electrolytic caps on older i.e. 80's vintage amps. Can anyone offer any more info on this particularly in regards to the Yamaha G50-112II? Mine is working pretty good but the bright and fat switches don't seem to do as much as I recall them doing. Have already checked the switch with a VOM and they're definitely switching on/off. Could this be related the old electrolytic caps.

20. Timi*

Timi* TDPRI Member

Values of tone caps sometimes drift as they age, so it's not entirely out of the question, but it seems unlikely. Mine exhibits the same behavior and I strongly suspect the switches to be the culprit. Since you've tested yours... hard to say. If your G50 is putting out good, clean, loud sound without a lot of hum, you can be pretty sure the big electrolytics are in ok shape. The attached screenshot is of the switches with associated tone caps. Funny the schematic says "pull bright" instead of FAT, etc, but it is labeled G50-112II / G100-115 so I assume it's correct.

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.