1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Yamaha amps

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by misterbluesman, May 24, 2012.

1. Roots13

Roots13 TDPRI Member

Hello All. I'm 'GASing' (am a noobie. What does GAS mean?) for a solid state and was about to pull the trigger on a Bandit when I came across a MINT Yamaha G100 212ii. Owner states it's never been out of the house or played in anger. I can have it for £80. I play rhythm in a 10 piece reggae band. So all I need is crystal cleans.
    Any thoughts greatly appreciated. x

2. grandstick

grandstick Tele-Holic

There's a G-50 II for sale on our local CL for $125. I've been eyeballing it, but am concerned about how much longer it will work.

3. chezdeluxe

chezdeluxe Poster Extraordinaire

Absolutely wonderful amp. But heavy !!!!. That's why the clever people at Yamaha fitted it with castors.

I think that's the model Mike Stern uses (he has EV speakers in his so how heavy would that be).

At that price it is a bargain you will be talking about when you are showing it off to your grandchildren.

G.A.S is an abbreviation for a compulsive disorder titled Guitar/Gear Acquisition Syndrome. Very prevalent in these parts and can even be transmitted over the internet by carriers to previously uninfected persons . You have been warned.:p

4. Roots13

Roots13 TDPRI Member

Chez', many thanx for yr reply and your explanation of 'GAS'.
    So I take it you would have the Yammy over the Bandit?
    Bye for now.

5. bigbandtele

bigbandtele Tele-Holic

I just picked up a Yamaha G100-112 S iii. Heavy sucker! Great sound, super clean and loud, and the parametric EQ is handy. I miss the great tremolo from the original G series amps. I may need to keep looking for another of those.

6. chezdeluxe

Yes bigbandtele the tremolo on my first series G100 head is the best I have ever heard including that on all the Fenders.

7. Roots13

Roots13 TDPRI Member

Hi All. I have scoured the net looking for a manual for a G100 212ii (I collect mine Wed) but to no avail. Help!
    Many thanks

8. Rich_S

Rich_S Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I recently came across a pristine G100 412 in a store. That's right, kids... a 4-12 combo. Totally impractical, but how much fun would it be to have that beast around?

9. drmcclainphd

drmcclainphd Tele-Afflicted

I got a "Hundred" B-212 for $125 last year. Mid-70's, solid as a rock still.
    It doubles as a bass amp without breaking a sweat.
    I saw a pair of the speakers it has on eBay for $59. I can't, but someone should.
    I do have to admit I rilly rilly rilly like the wheels. I can carry it if I have to, but not far.

10. Roots13

Roots13 TDPRI Member

Ok, I've had my 212ii for about a week now and though I've had many amps solid/tube, including a 'Twin', I have to say that this amp is the BEST I've had!
    Slate me if you feel the need but, for my needs, it's perfect!
    Still no manual. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks

czech-one-2 likes this.
  11. chezdeluxe

Glad you like it so much.

12. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

13. FreddyS

FreddyS Tele-Meister

I guess I'm a member of this club too :D

MY yamaha g100-115ii:
    [​IMG]

A friend won it at a yamaha national rock bands contest in 93 I believe, and did some gigs with it for a while but always hated how heavy it was, so I traded it with him for a back then like 1 year old fender princenton chorus amp, way lighter than this one but inferior in every other comparison.

I really didn't know if it would work for me but I knew the fender just wasn't cutting it for big gigs, in the end this amp kicked butts in a lot of venues for several years so, big win for me! And never needed to go past 5 on the volume :D

But actually, back then when I was playing constantly didn't really liked the overdriven channel, too old for my young tastes I guess :lol:

Now, I been gasing for a while for a small tube amp and today decided to give another go at the channel B... it certainly gets you close to the "classic" overdriven old tube amp sound, no doubt!, so actually no need for another amp.

Besides scratchy pots when moving the controls it still sounds great but I think it gained even some more weight, same as me haha.

Laters!

JayFreddy likes this.
  14. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Afflicted

I picked up an old G100-115 II about a month ago. It had been around the block a few times. The previous owner had removed the 15" speaker and fabricated a plywood ring to mount a Yamaha 12" speaker in it instead. he stated he liked the sound of the 12" better, but didn't have the original 15" anymore. He had removed the stock grill cloth and put plain black on it instead and removed the Yamaha badge from the front, which he didn't have anymore, of course.
    But, the amp sounds great! I pulled the 12" speaker and adaptor from the cab and put a 15" Peavey Scorpion in there. It sounds great...nice and clean with a lot of low end grunt to her. Perfect for my Tele. Great amp, I may gig with her this weekend and see exactly what it'll do.

15. simplyteles

simplyteles TDPRI Member

Yamaha G50-112II

I purchased this amp new in the 80's, from Skip's Music, Modesto, CA. I recently brought it out of the attic to see if I could use it as an acoustic guitar amp or at least a speaker cabinet. Bought a Weber Blue Dog Ceramic 50watt speaker to replace the original. With a bit of modification, it popped right in. WoW! Sounds great!

Attached Files:

16. JohnSS

JohnSS Tele-Meister

G30-112, B50-115

Bought a B50-115 new back in 1978; my ex brother in law wound up with it, unfortunately. I bought my G30-112 used in 1981 and it was my main gigging amp until 1986. I still use it on occasion. Great pedal platform and decent amp for acoustic guitars as well.

17. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

JayFreddy likes this.
  18. TNO

TNO Friend of Leo's

I used a borrowed G100 as an acoustic amp (mag pickup). Sounded much, much better that running through the PA.

19. J Hog

J Hog Tele-Holic

Back in '97 or 98 somebody gave me a B-100 bass head to cannibalize for parts. It would light up but not play. I took it apart and saw there was a transistor with a broken lead.I bought a replacement for 55 cents at a surplus electronic parts place. I've have been using it ever since. Yamaha builds rugged gear!!!

20. Timi*

Timi* TDPRI Member

It's nice to see the interest in these Yamaha SS amps. I've had a G50-112ii since I was a young teen in the early 80's.. dad bought it for me. <3

After getting into tube amps and solidly settling into an all-encompassing decades-long love/obsession with Ampegs, this little amp sat collecting dust for many, many years.

Long story short, I got recently pulled it out, cleaned it up and got reacquainted with it.... and discovered a serious hidden tone secret that improves these amps (or at least the one I have) by like 1000%. It has to do with how you set the tone controls.

The prob I always had with the G50 was a sort of garbled low mid and ill-defined low end. I stumbled across a way around it though...!!!

What you do it roll the bass knob almost all the way down, then dial in the low end using the parametric EQ. I do that by boosting the level to +4 or +5, setting the Q at its widest, and rolling the Freq down to 100. The parametric gives you a super solid, deep, full low end without the cheap sounding muddiness.

Try it and tell me what you think. I was amazed.
    Pictured- The G50-112 in series with '69 Ampeg GU-12 (which is a really good tandem btw) and 61 tele inherited from my pop.
    Cheers!

Attached Files:

czech-one-2 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.