Yamaha Acquires Line6

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by kp8, Dec 21, 2013.

1. BobbyB

BobbyB Tele-Afflicted

I love Yamaha acoustics....even the FG line sounds great and at a good price point.
    The new practice amps THR 10 series sound great. Perhaps they can "fix" line 6

2. kp8

kp8 Friend of Leo's

Yamaha FG-340 was a beast. Would love to have one again.

3. J-man

J-man Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    I used to have a Yamaha FG720MS (I think that's what it was called). It was unbelievably good for £120.:eek:

They could've priced it at double that and I wouldn't have questioned it. No joke.

4. J-man

J-man Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    The Pacificas are never a bad option for a first electric, either.

5. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I've never really understood the nomenclature of Yamaha electric guitars, but the more expensive versions of the Pacificas, like the higher-dollar Stern model (not the budget version) are really nice guitars. I love the necks on those guitars... the texture of the back of the neck, and the shape itself works well for me. I came across a very nice used one a few years ago at a consignment store here in town, but didn't have the money at the time. I never see them new in stores at all - never.

6. Telepathist

Telepathist Tele-Afflicted

I own a Line 6 Spider Jam. Was relatively new to playing guitar when I bought but sure am glad I did.

The models aren't great but some sound good. I enjoy playing the "Albert Lee" setting when playing rhythm on a Tele or Strat. But I've found the best use of the amp is for practice and as a PA for vocals and playing acoustic guitar.

I use the "real" drums and song loops routinely for practice. And the Spider Jam includes a tweeter so I can use the second channel (clean with a little reverb) for acoustic guitar and vocals. No need for a dedicated acoustic amp!

I have better sounding amps but the Line 6 has become indispensable in its own right.

7. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

I own the G100 212iii, which is the guitar version of your bass combo. I found it used for $100. :eek:

[​IMG]

Distortion is fairly useless as distortion, but if you think of it as a "lead channel" it gets a decent clean compressed sound that works for Jazz Fusion.

I used to own a G100 112iii that I let go to a student who needed it more than I did... Still kinda' wish I had it back.

[​IMG]

Also have a a G100 115ii that is great for Jazz Tele and steel guitar. Not quite as loud as my Peavey Session 500, but it has a unique sweetness... Sounds very much like a tube amp to me. :cool:

[​IMG]

8. Cat MacKinnon

Cat MacKinnon Friend of Leo's

forgot to mention earlier, but i still have a GuitarPort someone gave me about ten years ago, and i use it all the time. it's great for quick noodling: just fire up PodFarm, put on my headphones and start playing. despite its age and USB 1.0 spec, i still get very respectable low latency times and the PodFarm models aren't too bad either. i never purchased any of the add on model packs, but it comes with more than enough free ones to satisfy me (unlike GuitarRig, which comes with a grand total of two amps and about four effects, and refuses to give me any remotely decent latency settings.) i like that the GuitarPort is self powered too, so i don't have to screw around with an extra wall wart.

i just wish that thing was true USB Class-Compliant, because it doesn't work in Linux (and i've spent hours trying. Linux sees it, but doesn't know what to do with it.) so i'm forced to fire up Windows just for musical noodling and recording, which i'm not real fond of...it's the only reason i keep Windows installed at all! ah well, it's treated me well and gotten me through a lot of times when that was the only method of amplification i could afford. once in a while Line 6 managed to knock one out of the park.

9. kp8

kp8 Friend of Leo's

I like some of the yamaha guitars, the cheap and spendy versions of the pacifica. The only reason i would never own one is they have precious few models (if any that i have seen) that don't have H S or H S S or whatever. They seem hell bent on making sure nearly every model they make has a humbucker i the bridge. If they made a S S S or an S H pacifica i would have considered it. Their obsession with always having a humbucker in the bridge is hard to fathom.

10. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

I had one of those! Wow, haven't seen a pic of one on the web ever until now. That was my jazz amp.

11. JCSouthpawtele

JCSouthpawtele Friend of Leo's

One of the most widely used digital live mixer is the Yamaha LS9. If they add a firmware update with some of the Line6 effects added to the already good SPX based ones. Even better.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.