Y'all loan out guitars?

Troubleandahalf

Tele-Afflicted
A little kindness goes along way.

If he is an actual friend who would do the same for you, absolutely offer him one on loan unless he is some couch surfer or unemployed bum. Invest and risk nothing EVER in these types of people.

Definitely under no circumstances lend something irreplaceable though. No one NEEDS to borrow a master built SRV strat, or pre-war Martin for instance. Look up the story of Johnny Marr of the Smiths loaning not one but 2 rare Les Pauls to to the Gallaghers/Oasis. One was destroyed and the other held ransom, neither ever were returned to Johnny.

I've lent out guitars that I don't often play. My favorites and high end stay with me but the others like to be played too.
That's exactly my difficulty. Right now only have favorites and most quite irreplaceable. He's got cash, I'm trying to get him to get a CV of his own. He very well might and we can welcome him here. Solid dude.

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Of most of the folks I play with, run into ( all of us in multiple bands and often sub in each other's groups),
not that it has happened in a while, but I'd lend any of my guitars or amps to anyone I know. We are all casual, but pros/responsible.
I have all good/cheap stuff, and can live without something, if not too long.

zeke54

Tele-Afflicted
In the mid '70s I loaned my '57 Esquire to a good friend , a guy who inspired me to play guitar and was in my first band . RIP Greg . More recently I loaned a 2004ish Strat and a Peavey amp . My friend's grandson bought the Strat and I got the Peavey back . Just gotta use good judgement ! Worked fine for me .

Troubleandahalf

Tele-Afflicted
In the mid '70s I loaned my '57 Esquire to a good friend , a guy who inspired me to play guitar and was in my first band . RIP Greg . More recently I loaned a 2004ish Strat and a Peavey amp . My friend's grandson bought the Strat and I got the Peavey back . Just gotta use good judgement ! Worked fine for me .
'57 Esquire?! Good friend!

Everyone here is a long time good friend to me. I wish we could all go back to the mid 70's and buy up all the 50's Teles for cheap.

paulblackford

Tele-Afflicted
I loaned out a guitar once, and I'll never do it again. It was expensive, and in mint condition. It had direct mounted pickups, and the person I loaned it to felt that they had to make adjustments, and a pickup mounting screw ended up breaking through the back of the guitar. Had this friend not helped me out in the past, I would have demanded some kind of compensation. Alas, I had to smile, and say, "Hey, no big deal. Accidents happen." No more loaners.

P Thought

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Nope. Lending stuff spoils relationships, too many things to go wrong.

Good friends (I don't have many of those) and relatives I will give guitars if they are interested in having them. I'm about out of instruments I'd part with comfortably, but I'm out of friends and relatives who want them, too. My eldest son took it up a little, and I gave him as many guitars as I could get him to take, a couple amps, too.

While I was teaching, I don't know how many guitars I gave away to students, at least six that I remember.

CV Jee Beez

Tele-Afflicted
I'm open to loaning gear. I only have close longtime friends and family. I don't have to worry about getting it back.

I am opposed to gear sitting in a case waiting for the day.

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
Did once....never again

Attachments

• Capturehell no.JPG
    Capturehell no.JPG
    28.9 KB · Views: 6

Blackmore Fan

Friend of Leo's
I *gave* a friend of mine a Strat that I don't use much. On the surface I said "You can play this one for awhile until you put some money away and find your own gear (I gave him a Fender Frontman 25R and a Boss SD-1 with it as well). I don't know that I'll see any of it back anytime soon, and I don't care.

But my more prized stuff stays here.

Last edited: